We Were All New D&D Players Once

As a dungeon master and co-owner of a tabletop game and comic book shop, I meet brand-new players virtually every time I'm behind the counter or the DM screen. D&D’s recent popularity explosion has brought in countless new players. They usually are feeling both excited and intimidated, and it's my job to maintain that excitement and add confidence too.

I certainly understand the intimidation factor. Compared to a lot of other players, I'm relatively new myself. Until a year ago, I mostly stuck to the comics side of our shop because I never learned how to play D&D. My handful of attempts to play prior to that were frustrating and bewildering. I always had to play with groups of veteran players. I didn’t know what was going on or what I was supposed to do because nothing was explained to me. None of the other players seemed to comprehend that there was a learning curve, so I had a terrible time. I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Thanks to binge-watching Critical Role, I eventually got some context for how the game worked and how it could be fun. What a revelation! I’ve made up for lost time over the past year, and started to DM last fall. Now I run a table at D&D Adventurer’s League every week, as well as a weekly game for kids ages 8-14. I've had a lot of opportunities to observe games with new players who were welcomed with varying degrees of success, and I’ve learned a few things.

If you are a DM, a veteran player, or anyone else who deals with newbies -- particularly when you play with strangers at a game shop or convention -- here are some simple things to consider if you want them to have a good time. (If you don't want them to have a good time, go away, your fun is wrong.)

Remember: You Were a Newbie Once Too
Nothing kills a person’s excitement about a group activity like having others in the group treat them like they already should be an expert. When you’ve been playing for a long time, it becomes second nature to you, but it’s easy to forget how complicated it is for someone who is unfamiliar with the game. There are so many rules, and a lot of strange terminology the average person isn’t likely to know. None of us were born knowing which die was which, what initiative is, or how proficency works. And it’s hard to look things up in the Player’s Handbook if you don’t yet know what you’re searching for.

Make an Insight Check
We’re not all proficient in Insight, but you can always try. Ideally, the DM will make the newbie feel comfortable before the game starts, and encourage them to ask questions as they arise. If you’re playing, be a friendly neighbor. Give them space to figure things out for themselves, but be willing to offer encouragement or assistance to your neighbor in a gentle and lighthearted way. My kid players can do it without making the new player feel bad, so I believe in you!

Don’t Split the Party
When I finally started playing D&D on a regular basis, I was lucky enough to land with a group who made an effort to make me feel like I was part of the gang right away. I had a general sense of how the game worked from watching streaming games, but when I was actually at the table, I was still a little confused during the first few sessions.

I always will be grateful to the DM because he was kind and helpful, and always encouraged other players to help each other as well. The people sitting next to me could point to things on my character sheet so I learned how to figure out what I was rolling, calculate damage, and so forth. They were supportive, let me feel included, and never made me feel like I was slowing the game down or being a bother. In fact, when I was finally able to find creative and effective ways to help the party, they were almost as excited as I was.

Share the Loot
Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “This is common sense! Who isn’t already doing this?” Good for you! But sadly, common sense is rarer than it should be. I have watched many people sigh and roll their eyes and make new players feel awkward, or just leave a new player flailing. Don’t be that person. Give the newbie a chance to share the love of the hobby. With a kind attitude, you can set a good precedent and help build a positive D&D community around you.

contributed by Annie Bulloch

Mad_Jack

Legend
Amen - without new players to bring into the fold, I wouldn't have anyone left to regale for hours with my boring old war stories about Back In My Day, lol...

The one point I'd like to reiterate is the part about offering help but giving them the space to figure out things for themselves.

I've seen a lot of newbies, especially women, who were turned off playing because one of the more experienced players jumped at the chance to explain Everything You Need To Know and then effectively hijacked the new player's experience by "helping" to the point of essentially just building and running a second character while the new player just sat there and watched...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Good post.

I will add:

1. The game is simple.
2. Treat the game as simple and new players will find it easy.
3. Tell new players the game is simple.

I take a hands off approach to most things player related. I tell them the things they need to choose and let them go through the book. The only input I have is if they pick something that in practice doesn't play out how they probably want it to. So I will warn them. I don't tell them about what actions they can do, I just ask them what they want to do.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Good advice but is this a bigger problem than I am aware of? I have been playing since 99 and DMing nearly as long, and every campaign I have run has had at least one new player in it. I like having new players in the group.

Is there an issue with new players being ostracized and made to feel unwelcome?

Annie Bulloch

First Post
Good advice but is this a bigger problem than I am aware of? I have been playing since 99 and DMing nearly as long, and every campaign I have run has had at least one new player in it. I like having new players in the group.

Is there an issue with new players being ostracized and made to feel unwelcome?

There are so many new players right now, and I’ve seen and heard about a lot of different experiences they have had. Customers come in tell us. I do hear more negative stories from women about how they were received as new players, but it varies. It happens more at shops and cons where you play with strangers. My introduction wasn’t great either, even though everyone meant well. And then some people are hostile or surly for no reason. It’s important not to let those people set the tone.

I think it does new players a disservice to overemphasize the game’s simplicity because there’s really a lot to know. If you tell them it’s so simple and they feel overwhelmed, that’s when they start feeling like maybe they just don’t get it and this game isn’t for them. I usually tell players that there are a lot of moving parts, but we will walk them through what they need to do and they’ll see how their part works with everything else. That takes some of the pressure off.

Dancing Satyr

First Post
I love new players they try harder and take notes. Especially the female players. They will fill a notebook and remind you of a gem they found in a Orc's coinsack 5 levels ago. Keeps you on point as a DM and reminds old players, myself included, to step up their games.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Good advice.

One thing that I think helps is to encourage newbies to play a character that's not too complicated. For example, the Champion Fighter, Thief Rogue, or maybe the Tome Warlock are good choices. There's no concentration to worry about (except for the Warlock), fairly simple resource management, and mostly they're rolling attacks, damage, and making skill checks. Stay away from complicated character types like the Wizard, Sorcerer, or Monk right out the gate. These classes can be very effective, but they are more demanding of the player's knowledge of the system.

A one shot training session with low level characters is a good thing rather than just hoping they can jump right into a game with existing, established characters.

The other one is that some groups really fit a new player better than others. Four hardcore tactical genius power gamers is probably not the place to put a newbie, nor is the table where the first thing the DM says is "roll D20 for d--k length" (that happened to me... I'm no shrinking violet but it wasn't a good start).

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I think it does new players a disservice to overemphasize the game’s simplicity because there’s really a lot to know. If you tell them it’s so simple and they feel overwhelmed, that’s when they start feeling like maybe they just don’t get it and this game isn’t for them. I usually tell players that there are a lot of moving parts, but we will walk them through what they need to do and they’ll see how their part works with everything else. That takes some of the pressure off.
Absolutely, this is effective communication and instruction.

I teach statistics for a living, which is a notoriously fear-inducing subject. When introducing a topic I always say "it's going to be kind of overwhelming at the start, but we'll break things up as much as possible and build up." It's exactly the same. You don't want to start out by invalidating their experience, but instead validating them---"yes, it can be a bit overwhelming at first, many people feel that"---and then giving them the tools to develop competence---"however, we'll start out simply, so don't worry about making any mistakes at first".

Annie Bulloch

First Post
If a new player has their heart set on playing a particular class, I’m not going to stop them, but I do strongly suggest they start with something fairly simple and spell-light. Fighters and rogues are pretty easy, and rangers are a good compromise if you want a few little spells but mostly need to get familiar with the game mechanics. But I also have a kid in my youth game who’s been playing a wizard since last year, when she was 7!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases