We Were All New D&D Players Once

As a dungeon master and co-owner of a tabletop game and comic book shop, I meet brand-new players virtually every time I'm behind the counter or the DM screen. D&D’s recent popularity explosion has brought in countless new players. They usually are feeling both excited and intimidated, and it's my job to maintain that excitement and add confidence too.

I certainly understand the intimidation factor. Compared to a lot of other players, I'm relatively new myself. Until a year ago, I mostly stuck to the comics side of our shop because I never learned how to play D&D. My handful of attempts to play prior to that were frustrating and bewildering. I always had to play with groups of veteran players. I didn’t know what was going on or what I was supposed to do because nothing was explained to me. None of the other players seemed to comprehend that there was a learning curve, so I had a terrible time. I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Thanks to binge-watching Critical Role, I eventually got some context for how the game worked and how it could be fun. What a revelation! I’ve made up for lost time over the past year, and started to DM last fall. Now I run a table at D&D Adventurer’s League every week, as well as a weekly game for kids ages 8-14. I've had a lot of opportunities to observe games with new players who were welcomed with varying degrees of success, and I’ve learned a few things.

If you are a DM, a veteran player, or anyone else who deals with newbies -- particularly when you play with strangers at a game shop or convention -- here are some simple things to consider if you want them to have a good time. (If you don't want them to have a good time, go away, your fun is wrong.)

Remember: You Were a Newbie Once Too
Nothing kills a person’s excitement about a group activity like having others in the group treat them like they already should be an expert. When you’ve been playing for a long time, it becomes second nature to you, but it’s easy to forget how complicated it is for someone who is unfamiliar with the game. There are so many rules, and a lot of strange terminology the average person isn’t likely to know. None of us were born knowing which die was which, what initiative is, or how proficency works. And it’s hard to look things up in the Player’s Handbook if you don’t yet know what you’re searching for.

Make an Insight Check
We’re not all proficient in Insight, but you can always try. Ideally, the DM will make the newbie feel comfortable before the game starts, and encourage them to ask questions as they arise. If you’re playing, be a friendly neighbor. Give them space to figure things out for themselves, but be willing to offer encouragement or assistance to your neighbor in a gentle and lighthearted way. My kid players can do it without making the new player feel bad, so I believe in you!

Don’t Split the Party
When I finally started playing D&D on a regular basis, I was lucky enough to land with a group who made an effort to make me feel like I was part of the gang right away. I had a general sense of how the game worked from watching streaming games, but when I was actually at the table, I was still a little confused during the first few sessions.

I always will be grateful to the DM because he was kind and helpful, and always encouraged other players to help each other as well. The people sitting next to me could point to things on my character sheet so I learned how to figure out what I was rolling, calculate damage, and so forth. They were supportive, let me feel included, and never made me feel like I was slowing the game down or being a bother. In fact, when I was finally able to find creative and effective ways to help the party, they were almost as excited as I was.

Share the Loot
Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “This is common sense! Who isn’t already doing this?” Good for you! But sadly, common sense is rarer than it should be. I have watched many people sigh and roll their eyes and make new players feel awkward, or just leave a new player flailing. Don’t be that person. Give the newbie a chance to share the love of the hobby. With a kind attitude, you can set a good precedent and help build a positive D&D community around you.

contributed by Annie Bulloch

S

Sunseeker

The paladin is similar, but I'm not sure which is easiest for a newbie: the once-and-done choices when picking their spells known you do with a ranger, or daily choices of a paladin. Plus, the paladin can also exchange the spells for smites, which creates additional conflict.

Well, it's not like they must choose new spells. They can always say "I use the same list from yesterday."

Last time I ran a paladin I actually ignored my spells entirely and just burned slots for smites. When other players asked me if I had spells that could help them, I told them no, because I didn't.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I find that (often, not always) they bring a different dynamic to the table than their male counterparts. Many are more invested in the aspects of their characters that aren't numeric and many of the best roleplayers I've seen were women.

Yeah, I agree.

I know Lord of the Rings was a major inspiration for D&D but that doesn't mean our game needs to a.world of homoerotic undertones where women are rarely seen to exist. Let's take the good stuff from those books and leave those antique ideas in the past.

Huh.

I'm not sure I'd really say LotR was the (edit)primary inspiration of Gygax and pals. He pretty well stated that it wasn't and stated what influenced him, most notably Poul Anderson, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, L. Sprague de Camp, Fletcher Pratt, and Michael Moorcock, among others. Undoubtedly the popularity of LotR helped D&D sell in the '70s, though. Thirty years later, the LotR movies played a huge role in opening things up from being a mostly male niche hobby to a much broader audience.

For a man of his time and for being a Christian conservative---remember he died nearly fifty years ago and started work on the Legendarium essentially a century(!) ago---JRRT is downright progressive on matters of gender. Eowyn is a independent woman whose accomplishments speak for themselves. She's not a main character, but is a key supporting character in both The Two Towers and Return of the King. Arwen is a missed opportunity, but that that's partly due to the fact that she and Aragorn were very late additions to LotR. While she didn't appear directly in LotR, Luthien is a case study in female empowerment.

The homoerotic parts... I doubt JRRT intended them but instead was drawing on his experiences of the intense camaraderie that often occur in combat units. Like many other men of his generation, he was a soldier in World War I. So you may interpret them that way but I don't really think they're there in the author's mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Sneak Attack is easy enough to figure out. It is the Cunning Action and Expertise where people have trouble. Best utilizing it, esp. on a Thief takes creatively interacting with your environment. They have tunnel vision, looking for buttons to push so they can keep up with the game. So Rogue players just end up attacking in combat and not doing much else in the game.

Hmmm, I guess that hasn't been my experience. Cunning Action basically means that the character can run in or escape. Many players can figure that out given some basic explanation and a few hints. You're right, though, it's easy for the player simply to fall into "I try to bash it." For a player like that, Champion Fighter.

Here's where we disagree on how to introduce a new player. I don't help with their "build". My attitude is that the game is simple and fun and tell them to pick what they want. Going through an optimization exercise with them is not a good way to introduce players to the game. And in general we like to player characters rather than builds at our table. Backgrounds, for example, are a very important part of character creation. Probably the part that takes the longest time for new players. <snip>

I also allow a do over of spells up to level 3 if a player hates their choice so that probably helps. They usually ask me what spells they should take and my answer is "at least 1 attack cantrip and 1 attack spell and otherwise whatever looks fun to you".

IMO building can be incredibly frustrating, especially for casters.

When I say "build help", with a new player (new to 5E or total newbie) I'd go through a sequence of questions to help guide them in a profitable direction, essentially to help them get a character in the right neighborhood of what they want and then let them choose. I'm not trying to create the totally optimum build, but to help them avoid a really suboptimal or very complicated one. So what I'd do with a new (or new to 5E) player is help them but say "we'll revisit this later so don't feel like you're stuck the way things are."

I suspect in general I'm much freer with rebuilds than you are.

I also disagree that Warlock's core mechanic is Eldritch Blast, but that is an entirely different conversation. <snip> Managing concentration is a huge part of the Warlock. One thing that probably helps our table is that we use spell cards. If you have a concentration spell up you put the card in front of your character sheet. This creates a great reminder that it is active.

Much of what the Warlock does seems to involve shooting targets with EB, or at least that's the start of the character and it's not hard to grasp that. Managing concentration for a Warlock mostly comes down to managing Hex (one of the most boring spells ever made).

Aside, but Concentration is one of my least favorite mechanics in the game. There are spells where it makes sense, but it's used for too many different things. From a "remembering it" standpoint cards would help. We use magnetic chips on minis. The big problem isn't the first concentration, it's the fact that you have to check through many options for concentration and worry about whether it's worth dropping whatever you're concentrating on now. On my own character sheets I put a little "C" tag on spell lists so I know what are Concentration spells and thus can quickly rule out options when it comes time to choosing. It is absolutely one of the most confusing aspects of the game for new to 5E players coming from previous editions so I'd go way out of my way to choose non-C spells so they don't have to worry about it.

I don't think I've played with a total newbie, though, just new-to-5E players, so for them it might not matter quite so much.

I think that comes down to a difference in our experience.

Clearly true with everyone.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd really say LotR was the inspiration of Gygax and pals. He pretty well stated that it wasn't and stated what influenced him, most notably R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, L. Sprague de Camp, Fletcher Pratt, and Michael Moorcock, among others.

He said it because the Tolkien estate was going after him for his use of “hobbits”, “ents”, and “balrogs”, amongst others, which all needed up being renamed. It was a pseudo-legal defence he played out in the editorial pages of Dragon Magazine, not a statement of fact.

Jay Verkuilen

He said it because the Tolkien estate was going after him for his use of “hobbits”, “ents”, and “balrogs”, amongst others, which all needed up being renamed. It was a pseudo-legal defence he played out in the editorial pages of Dragon Magazine, not a statement of fact.

Certainly, it was an influence. particularly on the inclusion of halflings and rangers (particularly the 1E ranger), as well as some iconic creatures like ents and balrogs, a few spells (e.g., Hold Portal) and the presentation of elves and dwarves.

But there are tons of aspects of the game that the Lake Geneva crowd wrote that bear little or no resemblance to LotR. The magic system is totally different, and clearly lifted from Jack Vance right down to a number of spell names. It bears essentially no resemblance to magic in LotR. There are no figures clearly identifiable as clerics in LotR. The Thieves' Guild is from Fritz Leiber. The troll and paladin are from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which was also influential on the presentation of elves and dwarves, too. Giants are by way of de Camp and Pratt's Incompleat Enchanter. The spell Rope Trick is pretty much straight out of The Unbeheaded King, although not quite as impressive. Gygax also read a lot of the same sources as Tolkien, most notably the Kalevala and Norse and Greek mythology.

All that said, I'm 100% in agreement that a lot of the popularity of D&D came about because LotR had had this surge of popularity in the late '60s. But I take Gygax at his word that Lord of the Rings wasn't his primary influence.

Arilyn

Hero
I never steer new players away from spell casting if they have their hearts set on it, as there is nothing worse than being talked out of a character concept you are excited about. Spell cards are a great help, and I think it's fine to help during the game with statements like: "Being a wizard, you know that...."

I avoid pre-gens. Creating a character is a great way to help cement rules. It's also easier to role play a character of your own making, in my experience. And it's exciting creating your very own character.

Most new players come to the table with enthusiasm and excitement. Fortunately, most tables will harness that and be supportive. It's a shame that there are players who close ranks and risk driving new comers away forever.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
When I say "build help", with a new player (new to 5E or total newbie) I'd go through a sequence of questions to help guide them in a profitable direction, essentially to help them get a character in the right neighborhood of what they want and then let them choose. I'm not trying to create the totally optimum build, but to help them avoid a really suboptimal or very complicated one. So what I'd do with a new (or new to 5E) player is help them but say "we'll revisit this later so don't feel like you're stuck the way things are."

Right, helping them make a 'build' to avoid a 'sub-optimal' build which is exactly what creating an 'optimum optimize', I get it.

5e is really really hard to screw up. Most character choices perform as they say on the box. There are very few instances where I will step in and 'help' the player. Warlock is one of those instances.

Much of what the Warlock does seems to involve shooting targets with EB, or at least that's the start of the character and it's not hard to grasp that. Managing concentration for a Warlock mostly comes down to managing Hex (one of the most boring spells ever made).

If you think that then you aren't doing what the Warlock does best. They have super powerful spells and a lot of utility from their invocations. And yes, Hex is boring, and underpowered once you get level 3 spells. Try their powerful concentration spells, they will suddenly perform much better.

Clearly true with everyone.

I'm trying to be gracious. Your style of play sounds horrible to me and I wouldn't want to play at your table. That table also sounds tough for new players to join. The explosion of new players in 5e doesn't come from tables like yours that focus on optimization and creating builds rather than characters.

Jay Verkuilen

Right, helping them make a 'build' to avoid a 'sub-optimal' build which is exactly what creating an 'optimum optimize', I get it.

Um... wow.

When I say "sub-optimal" I just mean strongly contradictory or likely to be frustrating. We clearly disagree about what's likely to be frustrating, with me thinking that resource management and feature load being more frustrating and you thinking that tactical choices and the absence of a clear "button" being more so. That's an honest difference of opinion.

There are people who won't play anything but a DPR-maximized character type. I've totally not done that in my games and don't push people to do that. I just want people to have a character that's reasonably likely to feel like they have a character that's good at something that they want to do. The warlock is an example of that with the wrong build, but for someone who just wants to start out rolling dice and blasting away with magic bolts of doom, the warlock is a pretty good choice. That's all I'm saying with maybe recommending the warlock for a new player.

I'm trying to be gracious. Your style of play sounds horrible to me and I wouldn't want to play at your table. That table also sounds tough for new players to join. The explosion of new players in 5e doesn't come from tables like yours that focus on optimization and creating builds rather than characters.

Gee... thanks, given that you've pretty much just assumed you know what my table is like based on a few conversations on the internet after cherrypicking the most uncharitable, judgmental interpretation of what I said!

To quote myself:

Annie Bulloch

First Post
Well I feel really sorry for anyone who makes new players feel unwelcome,. especially female players. My preferred group always has at least one female player. I find that (often, not always) they bring a different dynamic to the table than their male counterparts. Many are more invested in the aspects of their characters that aren't numeric and many of the best roleplayers I've seen were women. Then again, maybe that's why the guys are afraid of them :p

I know Lord of the Rings was a major inspiration for D&D but that doesn't mean our game needs to a.world of homoerotic undertones where women are rarely seen to exist. Let's take the good stuff from those books and leave those antique ideas in the past.

I never want anyone to minimize homoerotic undertones or overtones! But yeah, it's a real problem when the only women in a game are treated like objects or tokens. A lot of that is under the DM's control too.

I wouldn't generalize what women bring to the table, as we're obviously not a uniform category. I want everyone to understand their characters, and I love it when we have a game where we can get into heavy RP. But bringing a diverse group to the table definitely helps add dimension that you won't get from a more homogenous group, even if you're playing something fast-paced like a two-hour block of Adventurer's League where you're necessarily light on RP.

And let's not argue about play styles. None of those approaches are inherently wrong -- it all depends on the players and what the group prefers. You can try to give new players guidance so it's easy for them to get started, but people learn in different ways and have inherently different approaches. There are plenty of tables I wouldn't enjoy playing at, but that doesn't necessarily mean their fun is wrong. It's just not for me.

There's a luxury to introducing a new player to the game when they have time to create a character and figure things out. I've spent a good amount of time with new players at my shop, walking them through character creation and talking about their options. This is especially common with the youth players, but I've done it for adults too when I have time. However, it can be very different with something like Adventurer's League. I have someone walk in just about every week who's never played before and wants to jump into a game that starts in 10 minutes. That's where the pre-gens come in, and it works fine to get their feet wet. I do steer them toward spell-light characters in those situations because it's easier to figure out on the fly.

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
All this discussion has me wondering if D&D shouldn't be kept simpler. A cross between Basic D&D and the 5e starter set would do the trick.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases