Elves in forgotten realms and 5e - what is the official source?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

Given the sort of re-inventing of some of the elven sub-races lately, which doesn't really fit with the old FR lore, can someone tell me what the deal is with elves in FR these days? MtoF didn't really help (or if it did, I missed the section).

I normally wouldn't care too much but I'm creating a character for a PbP game set in the realm.

I'm only asking about the surface elves - the drow can die in a cave-in for all I care.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I haven't heard of any updates to the 'origin story' printed in Grand History of the Realms (3.5e era): the forefathers of the elves came to Faerun via portal from some other world, which was vaguely described and sounds sorta like the Feywild. Over time they branched out into the many varieties we see today.

gyor

Legend
Hello

Given the sort of re-inventing of some of the elven sub-races lately, which doesn't really fit with the old FR lore, can someone tell me what the deal is with elves in FR these days? MtoF didn't really help (or if it did, I missed the section).

I normally wouldn't care too much but I'm creating a character for a PbP game set in the realm.

I'm only asking about the surface elves - the drow can die in a cave-in for all I care.

MTOFs really should have had a section on FR elves, especially Shadar Kai, because it is really unclear how FR Shadar Kai lore and the Elf Shadar Kai fit together, the SCAG doesn't refer to it, likely because when the SCAG was written no one knew Shadar Kai would end up an Elven subrace.

gyor

Legend
I haven't heard of any updates to the 'origin story' printed in Grand History of the Realms (3.5e era): the forefathers of the elves came to Faerun via portal from some other world, which was vaguely described and sounds sorta like the Feywild. Over time they branched out into the many varieties we see today.

The MTOFs origin story predates FR Elven migration to Toril.

gyor

Legend
Ah, the one book I never bothered getting...

Its an okay rum down of most Elf subraces, but Eladarin and Shadar Kai are not refered to as the 5e Eladarin and Shadar Kai are very different from the past, Shadar Kai weren't Elves even in the past.

So yeah they should have offered more setting guidance.

Also they basically added new Elven deities to FR, some were from dragon magazine articles which were linked to FR, in 2e but promptly forgotten afterwards, others came from the Setting neutral Races of the Wild in 3e, and were never FR deities until now, and a few immigrated from Greyhawk.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Its an okay rum down of most Elf subraces, but Eladarin and Shadar Kai are not refered to as the 5e Eladarin and Shadar Kai are very different from the past, Shadar Kai weren't Elves even in the past.

So yeah they should have offered more setting guidance.

Also they basically added new Elven deities to FR, some were from dragon magazine articles which were linked to FR, in 2e but promptly forgotten afterwards, others came from the Setting neutral Races of the Wild in 3e, and were never FR deities until now, and a few immigrated from Greyhawk.
So... when the book says "The eladrin of the realms are bla bla bla", ... those aren't the new eladrin sub race?

That's clear as mud...

Laurefindel

Legend
IIRC, those who will become Sun Elves came through portals, the ancestors of the Moon Elves came via spelljammer ships, and green/wild elves were native to the land. can't recall about the pre-drow dark elves however

Irennan

Explorer
IIRC, those who will become Sun Elves came through portals, the ancestors of the Moon Elves came via spelljammer ships, and green/wild elves were native to the land. can't recall about the pre-drow dark elves however

Green and pre drow were gated in by the Fey creator race, because they somehow assumed that those elves would help against the Dragon. They didn't worship the Seldarine, even tho part of the Dark Seldarine dedicated themselves to Toril (Vhaeraun, Eilistraee, Ghaunadaur).

All the other kinds of elves fleed to Toril from their land of Tintageer, and the Seldarine followed.

Lolth would start getting followers waaay later.

Great History of the Realms, and Evermeet: Island of Elves are the sources for this.

Remove ads