My Experiment with 5e - No Classes with Cantrips

Hussar

Legend
Well, we've kinda rounded a bend in our Primeval Thule campaign, and things have changed at the table, so, I thought now is a good time to show the results of my 5e experiment. When running PT in 5e, I wanted to really strengthen the "SWORD and sorcery" feel and I felt that 5e is a smidgeon too magic happy for what I wanted. So, at character generation, I put my foot down, and managed to badger my players into accepting a pretty strong restriction - no classes/characters with cantrips.

Just for a bit of background, we run the game on Fantasy Grounds and use voice chat. That has it's own ups and downs, so, I'll try to keep that in mind when I talk about the results.

So, after about year of play and 9 levels, here's what I learned:

1. Combat becomes LIGHTNING fast. When you remove casters, area of effects, and whatnot from combat, you can blow through a LOT of combat in a 3 hour session. We actually touched into 7 combats one session, with a fair bit of time for other stuff, although that was very much the exception. However, we frequently did 3-5 combats in a 3 hour session and rounds just blow past. When you strip down the analysis paralysis that often comes with casters (should I cast this spell or that spell... or if I move the spell 5 feet to the left I can get that guy, but, then I won't get that other guy... ), the game really speeds up.

2. Combat becomes very predictable. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. But, I can pretty much guarantee how much damage the party will do per round and plan an encounter accordingly. I know that the 5 PC's we have will do about 125 (give or take) damage per round. Pretty much like clockwork. So, if I wanted a strong encounter, I needed about 400 HP worth of baddies. It does make planning encounters pretty easy. And, because the party lacked area attacks, it really, really cuts down on the total damage the party can do per round.

3. Choices get pretty limited and the players I think were not very happy about it. We allowed, barbarians, fighters, rangers, paladins, monks and rogues as options. We wound up with two rangers, a paladin, a rogue and a monk. I think the players were not terribly happy with all the classes being pretty close to each other. 5e really does seem to rely on having casters to add variety. The non-casters tend to be pretty similar in play.

4. One thing that I did like, and now that we've done some shifting around with characters and allowed full casters, is that without casters in the party, "Magic Solves All Problems" becomes a lot less of an issue. Players rely on their skills a lot more since you can't just magic problems away. They spent a lot of down time learning new languages and tools so that they could broaden their approaches to problems. Now that we have a bard and a warlock in the party, every problem becomes a nail to the hammer of magic. Instead of relying on skills, spells become the default. :( Not a result I'm very happy about.

Overall, I'd say the experiment was a pretty solid success. The game was fun and the players seemed to have a pretty good time. 5e works pretty well as a low magic game, IMO.

Staccat0

First Post
I've thought about doing this a lot. Or maybe just running a game where you don't start with cantrips or they are included in your "spells known" or whatever depending on the class.

Thanks for reporting back.

5e really does seem to rely on having casters to add variety. The non-casters tend to be pretty similar in play. ]

That's always been true of D&D, it's not just a 5e thing. And I would suggest it is the main reason for the success of D&D, and fantasy RPGs in general, over RPGs in other genres.

Why did Shadowrun add magic to cyberpunk? Because without it gameplay is pretty much limited to hackers (rogues) and mercs (fighters).

Nevvur

Explorer
Thanks for sharing, Hussar. I've been working on an SRD5 overhaul that removes spellcasters entirely, and your report gives me some food for thought as I move forward with the project.

Zardnaar

Legend
We did this in 2E mostly same results. Well I mean no primary casters allowed.
Would be interesting to see a 3pp variant PHB with 4E or AD&D/3E type classes. AEDU or AD.

Trade your cantrip and class features for more spell slots or AEDU classes.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If your concern is "analysis paralysis", perhaps casters with short spell lists would help, so they know their spells better? So no wizards, clerics or druids...

Zardnaar

Legend
Ah - so not a "no cantrips!" experiment, but a "no primary casters!" experiment. Interesting, very interesting...

I had something for a 3E low magic campaign where we used a must find teacher thing along with AD&D type rules on magic items so you could not buy them or easily create them.
A primary caster was any class with level 9 spells. Basically they were really rare, think Jedi purge. You would have to find an NPC and then take levels in the class I think the Sorcerer was the only one we allowed in at level 1 and even then it was more or less a death penalty if you got caught.

Red Mantis Assassins were used to enforce the rules. 3.5 Bards became the best caster you could get away with otherwise you had to MC at level 3 eg fighter 2/wiz 1 and you had to find an NPC as well.

Its kind of what lead me to believe you could fix 3.5 if you plugged in some smaller numbers (rewriting/removing the problem spells and feats) and stripping out the 3.X magic item system. The D&D game I wanted in 2008.

Hussar

Legend
That's always been true of D&D, it's not just a 5e thing. And I would suggest it is the main reason for the success of D&D, and fantasy RPGs in general, over RPGs in other genres.

Why did Shadowrun add magic to cyberpunk? Because without it gameplay is pretty much limited to hackers (rogues) and mercs (fighters).

Not entirely true. Not to bring up edition warring, but, 4e allowed a HUGE variety between and within the classes, even those that couldn't cast spells. However, 5e has gone back to a more traditional arrangement for classes, so, the non-casters have a much more limited palette to work from.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1. Combat becomes LIGHTNING fast. When you remove casters, area of effects, and whatnot from combat, you can blow through a LOT of combat in a 3 hour session. We actually touched into 7 combats one session, with a fair bit of time for other stuff, although that was very much the exception. However, we frequently did 3-5 combats in a 3 hour session and rounds just blow past. When you strip down the analysis paralysis that often comes with casters (should I cast this spell or that spell... or if I move the spell 5 feet to the left I can get that guy, but, then I won't get that other guy... ), the game really speeds up.

2. Combat becomes very predictable. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. But, I can pretty much guarantee how much damage the party will do per round and plan an encounter accordingly. I know that the 5 PC's we have will do about 125 (give or take) damage per round. Pretty much like clockwork. So, if I wanted a strong encounter, I needed about 400 HP worth of baddies. It does make planning encounters pretty easy. And, because the party lacked area attacks, it really, really cuts down on the total damage the party can do per round.
I'd be curious to see how a party of all full casters handle combat encounters, in comparison. Is there a lot of dithering over the best way to setup before actually engaging? Do they have to push the cleric or druid forward to be the "front line"? Or do they focus on area effects and slows to make sure they aren't touched?

I have to imagine combats would be less frequent, and much more variable in how long they take.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases