The Heroes of Dyvers Chapter Six

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Speaks Again...

As Sylvar retreats from his conversation with Margull he pulls the others aside and tells them what he knows about him.

Respen recalls seeing bits and pieces of the lore Sylvar is disclosing in one of the books Respen collected for Dame Clare. A side piece that, given Sylvar's explanation, was less legend than Respen thought.

~ Even more of a reason for Margull to plant himself here. He places the entire region at risk as he chases these other "Vampyr". ~

" Sylvar, we tempt fate planning in these trees. Perhaps one day, but as my original mentor would say, 'Mortals and immortals can not occupy the same space; mortals have too much to lose, and immortals have experienced so much loss that they are numb to it.' It's funny that I never took the warning seriously until my experience with Dame Clare. Now, despite Margull's stated intentions as well as the company he keeps, I've never held the words in such high esteem. The less time I spend around Margull, the better off I will feel. "

He smiles mischievously at Sylvar, "That staff looks fun, though! Keep Tam away from it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
At Tam-Tam's actions, my brows raise in surprise, but I hold my tongue. Lord Margull has command of the situation, but my disappointed expression relays my feelings at the lawless actions in my home. As Sylvar starts from his slumber, I suppress a chuckle. That certainly helps relieve a tense situation...

At Laramon's Tower, my mouth momentarily flies agape at the news of being proclaimed a Hero of Dyvers and being given a Minor Writ of Nobility. “My – my thanks Lord Margull. That is very generous of you!”

Upon Margull's confession of his reality and Vale's outburst, a sad look breezes across my face. “I can understand Vale's anger, but Lord Margull has done no wrong. Yes, his cousin suffered – but it was due to his and his companions own actions. Lord Margull didn't send them there. A notice was posted and they went of their own accord to collect on any potential bounties, just as we ourselves did.”

Sylvar's stage whisper rendition brings a smile to my stoic countenance, lightening the mood and my heart. My humor is only further tickled by Valoran's outburst and then sent over the ledge with the twins joke. A guffaw escapes me, loud, unrestrained, and quite boisterous.

GM:
+1,000 XP for your very detailed, thoughtful, and honest post.

Damionte

Explorer
Duncan pauses. Once the full story came out he feels trapped in a dilemma. The undead were a real problem for both he and Ebony. Getting deeper into this situation would push them down a path neither is capable of willingly following. Sounding a bit shaken he comments.

"With all due respect, we are visitors here. The locals would be better served with someone closer to the situation asking the questions rather than a random stranger from out of town."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir stops his pacing and moves closer to the focus of the situation at hand. "Respen, my friend, you have previously shown some aptitude and diligence at such proceedings. Perhaps you should initiate this query. The rest of us can interject additional thoughts or add questions as we receive answers."

Waynan

Adventurer
Seeing the gravity of the situation, at present, Tam stands a bit off to the side as it looks as if Respen was dealing with more important issues than his guilty feelings.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Advanced Interrogation Techniques: Magical Water-boarding.

OOC: These are two posts in one: a prologue to the interrogation planned of the prisoners. Read on to see why. And the actual questioning in earnest (assuming the prologue doesn’t go well.

Suddenly serious, Respen agrees to the interrogation, turning his attention from his dwarven friend. Wine, mead, and ale straining his friend’s rationality, it appears better to allow him to sleep it off.

~ Too bad Ky isn't local. Her talents would be most useful right now. ~

Respen addresses Laramon, “It appears that I am to question the prisoners. Thank you for the opportunity. “ Respen rubs his chin and then the corner of his mouth with his pinky finger, concentrating on the questions as well as a strategy. He had done this Auror from time to time with varying degrees of success. The keys were to have a plan, focus on the questions, and be nimble enough to adjust the yes/no questions on the fly. Despite it’s seeming simplicity, it was anything but.

Before he engages the prisoners, he queries Laramon. “Master Laramon, before I begin, is there any willingness on your part, were the Rutterkin or Doppleganger interested in their freedom, to make a deal? I am curious how they might respond, and whether they perceive that they have options. The hopeless and desperate come in all shapes and sizes. If the only tool one has is a crowbar….” Respen trails off, having made his point with his master.

Regardless of Laramon’s answer, Respen approaches both the interrogation of the Doppelganger as well as the Rutterkin with the following comment: “Your comrade appears to be willing to share information for his freedom after all. I posed to him questions of great import. He was resistant at first. But he understands now what you need to understand. The magical hole in which you are currently residing is deep indeed. You will not leave it. Ever. Without demonstrating your value. The first to answer wins.

OOC: Specifically for the Rutterkin, in an attempt at persuasion vis-à-vis the Prisoners' Dilemma.
I know something of your kind. You take your orders from higher demons. Your kind is bullied and sullied. Why in all of the Abyss or all of the Oerth, neither of which you will see again should you take a more difficult path, would you for a moment protect their secrets?

OOC: Specifically for the Doppelganger, the other half of the Prisoners' Dilemma.
I don’t know you very well at all. I’ve only met one of you in all of my life, but I can’t for a moment think of why you would be willing to stay in this deep, dark hole to protect your keepers. You know they see you as a pet. A trained animal using circus tricks to promote their plan, receiving only crumbs from their table in return. I simply do not see that this game is worth it to you now.

OOC: To both of the prisoners, invoking Laramon’s spell …

Respen stops short of his intended question, asking two instead of each prisoner before asking any more, in an attempt to shortcut the process.
1) “Are you under a magical or blood oath such that you cannot voluntarily answer questions without losing your life?
2) “In return for your life and freedom, notwithstanding that oath, will you truthfully, in good faith, here and now to me, lay bare your brethren and / or their plans?

OOC: Abandoning the pretense of cooperation from the prisoners.

1) “Do you have full knowledge of your organizations plans and strategy?
2) “Will your brethren attempt to find and/kill you in captivity?
3) “Are you currently being scryed or tracked by your organization?”
4) “Is/are your leader/s of your organization mortal?

OOC: Allowing for flexibility if we can discover a successful line of questioning, the next questions are subject to change within the post. I realize that the DM may not work well with that. However, Respen is setting the strategy and tenor of the questions; if he senses a potential lead, he wants to be able to follow it to the degree possible.

1) (2 Question Set): “Does your organization plan a coup, attack, or takeover in this region?
a. If Yes, then “Will it be in Dyvers?”’
b. If No, then Next Question Set

2) (4 Question Set): “Have you infiltrated any of the following: the Dyvers Mages Guild, Dyvers Thieves Guild, or the Dyvers City Guard?
a. If Yes, “Did you utilize magic rings to do it?
i. If Yes, “Are the infiltration magic rings the same as your magic ring?
a) If Yes, “Are the rings easy to notice like yours?

3) (1 Question): “Do you have an outpost or safehouse in Dyvers where your organization meets or passes intelligence?
a. If Yes, “Do you have the ability to show us?
i. If No, then Next Question Set.

4) (1 Question): “Is Caltaran currently infiltrated with ring-wearers after your earlier failure with Sheriff Denby?

5) (1 Question): “Is your organization targeting Margull or current Regional leadership?

OOC: Any leftover questions courtesy of negative responses will be picked up in additional questions as quickly as the DM can answer these.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen Gets Answers!

GM:

Laramon's spell requires the asking of YES/NO questions; however, it also forces the subject to give short explanations which clarify the yes or no answer.

1) “Are you under a magical or blood oath such that you cannot voluntarily answer questions without losing your life? “

Answer 1 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes, I swore a Blood Oath to the Crimson Sensei.

Answer 1 of 15: (Rutterkin): No, I am immortal. My only loyalty is to Demogorgon.

2) “In return for your life and freedom, notwithstanding that oath, will you truthfully, in good faith, here and now to me, lay bare your brethren and / or their plans?”

Answer 2 of 15: (Doppleganger): Never. I do not take my oath lightly. This spell forces me to answer, but if set free, I would gladly attempt to kill you.

Answer 2 of 15: (Rutterkin): No. If you granted me my freedom, I would kill you and drink your heartblood!

1) “Do you have full knowledge of your organizations plans and strategy?”

Answer 3 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. I merely serve my part.

Answer 3 of 15: (Rutterkin): No. I do not care for the mechanations of mortals. All evil serves the will of Demogorgon. Therefore, I shall spread corruption whenever, and wherever I can.

2) “Will your brethren attempt to find and/kill you in captivity?”

Answer 4 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. I would have killed myself, if I had been able. Death is preferable to capture.

Answer 4 of 15: (Rutterkin): No. I am expendable. I live only to further the cause of Demogorgon.

3) “Are you currently being scryed or tracked by your organization?”

Answer 5 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes. The ring I wear facilitates this.

Answer 5 of 15: (Rutterkin): No. Demogorgon does not care. I am expendable. I can easily be replaced. However, I suspect that the ring I was asked to wear might allow the Wizard who summoned me to track my whereabouts.

4) “Is/are your leader/s of your organization mortal?”

Answer 6 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. The Scarlet Sensei is a god. He lives beyond the veil of time.

Answer 6 of 15: (Rutterkin): Yes. I am controlled by the Wizard who summoned me. He is flesh and blood, as you are. But he is not my leader. My service to him is a gift from Lord Demogorgon, who is indeed very much immortal.

1) (2 Question Set): “Does your organization plan a coup, attack, or takeover in this region?”

Answer 7 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes, but the goal is to do so slowly and discreetly, over time. Power is always lost at the same rate as it was gained. The Scarlet Sensei is not interested in sudden victory.

Answer 7 of 15: (Rutterkin): Yes. I am positive that the Wizard who summoned me has ambitions of power. Ambition is the driving force behind mortal servitude to demonic forces.

a. If Yes, then “Will it be in Dyvers?”’

Answer 8 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes. And other realms as well.

Answer 8 of 15: (Rutterkin): I don’t know the answer to that question. Tonight was my first compelled task.

2) (4 Question Set): “Have you infiltrated any of the following: the Dyvers Mages Guild, Dyvers Thieves Guild, or the Dyvers City Guard?”

Answer 9 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes. All three.

Answer 9 of 15: (Rutterkin): I don’t know the answer to that question. Tonight was my first compelled task.

a. If Yes, “Did you utilize magic rings to do it?”

Answer 10 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes, of course. Greed is a powerful ally to patient usurpers.

Answer 10 of 15: (Rutterkin): Yes. I have been instructed in the use and distribution of magical rings for the purpose of espionage.

i. If Yes, “Are the infiltration magic rings the same as your magic ring?”

Answer 11 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. Gold rings are for pawns. Silver rings are for handlers.

Answer 11 of 15: (Rutterkin): No. Gold rings are for pawns. Silver rings are for handlers.

a) If Yes, “Are the rings easy to notice like yours?”

Answer 12 of 15: (Doppleganger): Yes. All of the rings have a similar appearance.

Answer 12 of 15: (Rutterkin): Yes. All of the rings have a similar appearance.

3) (1 Question): “Do you have an outpost or safehouse in Dyvers where your organization meets or passes intelligence?”

Answer 13 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. We pass intelligence through magical means.

Answer 13 of 15: (Rutterkin): I don’t know the answer to that question. Tonight was my first compelled task.

4) (1 Question): “Is Caltaran currently infiltrated with ring-wearers after your earlier failure with Sheriff Denby?”

Answer 14 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. It would be foolish to try again so soon.

Answer 14 of 15: (Rutterkin): I don’t know the answer to that question. Tonight was my first compelled task.

5) (1 Question): “Is your organization targeting Margull or current Regional leadership?”

Answer 15 of 15: (Doppleganger): No. Margull is an unknown quantity, and also an ally of The Fearless Five. Since we cannot usurp him, we must deceive him.

Answer 15 of 15: (Rutterkin): I don’t know the answer to that question. Tonight was my first compelled task.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: It is my understanding that all characters are present for this magical system of query, and that the questions and answers are audible.

Lathir, paces about the room as the questions and answers proceed. He is not one for standing still and he rarely sits. He addresses the others. "I am hearing two pertinent pieces of information. 'Gold rings are for pawn. Silver rings are for handlers,' and I suspect that the Scarlet Sensei is a bloodsucker."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases