News Digest: Critical Role Leaving Geek & Sundry, Origins Award Winners, Pathfinder 2nd Ed Previews,

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Critical Role leaving Geek & Sundry, Origins Award Winners, Pathfinder 2nd Edition previews, multiple charity promotions, and more!

Critical Role is officially leaving Geek & Sundry to strike out on their own. While the streams will continue on Geek & Sundry’s Twitch channel and their premium streaming service Alpha (including the spin-off shows Talks Machina and After Dark) for the time being, Critical Role created their own Twitch channel for streaming along with a new YouTube channel to host their content. As part of this move, Marisha Ray has stepped down as creative director for Geek & Sundry in order to take on that role for their own content, which will include the production of the live stream from their own studio space and brand new shows. Critical Role originally premiered on the Geek & Sundry Twitch channel during its launch in 2015, with the Critical Role team retaining the rights to the show and characters. The Dungeons & Dragons actual play stream skyrocketed immediately in popularity, becoming the breakout hit for the channel drawing hundreds of thousands of viewers weekly between the live stream and archived videos.

The Origins Award Winners were announced this past weekend at the Origins Game Fair. EN World has all the winners at the link above, but the Best Roleplaying Game of the Year was Adventures in Middle-Earth Player’s Handbook from Cubicle 7 with the Fan Favorite award going to Starfinder from Paizo. Best Roleplaying Game Supplement went to Dungeons & Dragons Xanathar’s Guide to Everything from Wizards of the Coast. The awards also included many card, miniature, and board games with Gloomhaven taking Best Board Game, Fan Favorite, and Game of the Year. Designers Eric M. Lang and Ken St. Andre were inducted into the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame. Attendance at the Origins Game Fair was up by almost ten percent, with 18,648 unique attendees and turnstile attendance numbers of 70,765 (unique attendees are the number of individuals attending the convention, while turnstiles are the number of people per day, so a person with a four-day pass counts as one unique attendee but as four turnstiles).

Speaking of awards, the new episode of Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk Podcast released yesterday and the Origins Awards (along with the Diana Jones Award nominees) was one of the main topics. Morrus, Peter, and special guest Angus also talked about details for the new Dungeons & Dragons releases of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. There’s also a comedy sketch! You can subscribe via the podcast page on Podbean, through iTunes, or by searching for the title (or just “Morrus”) in your favorite podcasting app. And if you want behind the scenes deleted content, you can support the show on Patreon (I’m still working on this week’s outtakes and it should be up later today, but it will be almost half an hour of additional in-depth gaming discussions, alternate takes of the Polearm Sketch, and a puppy cameo).

Wizards of the Coast have brought back their limited edition rainbow Dungeons & Dragons shirt for Pride Month. Proceeds from the sales of the rainbow ampersand logo t-shirts, tank tops, and hoodies go to benefit the charity Lambert House, which helps LGBT+ youth through programs, resources, and activities. And of course, the Magic: The Gathering Planeswalker rainbow logo is also back. If you’re looking for more gaming-related shirts benefiting charity, Whipstache Designs has a “Lawful can still be Evil” shirt for sale with all proceeds going toward the Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights and the Texas Civil Rights Project.

PlaytestLogo.png

Paizo released more information about the playtest for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The Barbarian class got a preview, highlighting changes to the Rage ability and other class features. The Rage ability will no longer be limited to a set number of rounds per day, but will instead last three rounds with one round of fatigue before the barbarian can use rage again. Also, one change highlighted is that multiclassed spellcasting barbarians will be able to use spells in a rage so long as they don’t require concentration and only require somatic components (showing that Paizo is paying close attention to the interaction of different class abilities in development). Totems will also now be a core part of the class, previously only available in sourcebooks starting with the Pathfinder Advanced Player Guide. Monks also got a new preview, with details about the new ki abilities (which are treated the same as spells now) and more options during character creation whether to focus on Strength, Dexterity, or both depending on which options you’d like. Finally, Paizo showed some of how conditions will factor into the new game design, along with details about how different conditions will interact with one another and how things do and don’t stack. As always, you can keep track of all the latest Pathfinder 2nd Edition news at EN World’s category page. You can pre-order the softcover and hardcover versions of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook now from mass-market outlets, with some having the deluxe hardcover edition as well, and a free PDF will be released along with the books on August 2.

Gale Force 9 announced the newest Dungeons & Dragons board game, Vault of Dragons. The game will be for two to four players with a play time of one to one and a half hours. Each player takes on the role of a different faction in Waterdeep searching for a hidden fault of gold, searching for clues and rumors while gaining resources to raid the vault before the other players (or before the City Watch catches you). The game itself features a modular board with double-sided location tiles to increase replayability. There is no release date announced yet, but it is expected to make its debut at Gen Con with a retail price of $50.00.

The Dungeons, Hordes, & Horrors Humble Bundle is still available for one more week. The bundle includes books from Kobold Press, Troll Lord Games, Frog God Games, Gamehole Publishing, and others, all focusing on 5th Edition compatible sourcebooks, adventures, and maps. At the highest level of $15, you get $381 worth of books in DRM-free digital format over thirty-five books with two full adventure paths, two tomes of one-shot adventures, a campaign setting, and two map sets plus (for all levels) a 30% off coupon for the full purchase of Kobold Press, Frog God, or Troll Lord Games products. This bundle benefits the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society and runs until Wednesday, June 27.

This is a “hurry hurry hurry” Kickstarter as it has less than two days left. Harvesters is an RPG boxed set that contains everything needed to play as the animals of a farm go on fantastic adventures. The all-ages RPG lets you choose between rabbits, squirrels, badgers, otters, and mice with the classes of fighter, wizard, rogue, “and more” with rules based on the Siege Engine. The digital copy is available for a $10 pledge with the boxed set available for $49. This Kickstarter still has two more stretch goals to unlock before it funds tomorrow, Friday, June 22, at 10:00 PM Central time.

5th Evolution from Limitless Adventures brings the genres of superhero, World War II, and 1980s horror to the 5th Edition ruleset. Each of the three books includes a comic to set the tone for the setting, a one-shot adventure with pre-generated characters, and a guide for the monsters, equipment, and special rules required for character creation and adventure design. The books aren’t stand-alone, though, as they require either the Dungeons & Dragons core rulebooks or the 5th Edition SRD to play. The PDF of all three books is available for a $15 pledge, while the print versions are available for a $30 pledge with a special $100 level for all products the company has released in PDF as well. This project is fully funded and runs until Friday, June 29.

That’s all from me for this week! Find more gaming crowdfunding news by following our Kickstarter news tag, and don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where I’ll be lamenting my empty wallet following the upcoming Steam Sale, watch me live-stream Dragon Age: Origins on my Twitch channel, follow Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube featuring videos on gaming history and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Yeah. The story is ending, but they only started to make real progress to resolution recently, and could easily have started a second storyline. Critical Role had a half-dozen different storylines of varying lengths.
They could have played Trek for years and were so excited to start. I was super surprised when they made the announcement.

I don’t know if Eric was asked. But it makes sense that they’d want a new show they have more ownership of.

As I said, I assume it was a command from above. They're losing CR and need something they actually own. The players are Star Trek fanatics. Elisa has been involved in improve Star Trek shows forever.
I don’t see licensing as a factor. I doubt Modiphius paid, since they couldn't afford a year. And the Star Trek Show repeated a Doctor Who Show that had no support from either the publisher or the BBC.

Modiphius gave the cast free copies of the core rulebook and they gave Eric access to prerelease info for other (upcoming or later released) books.

And Star Trek: Online was doing promotions with them. They had a huge following. I won't be surprised if the number of viewers drops significantly when they change to their own campaign. Some percentage of their watchers were Trekkies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
On the Kickstarter segment is worth checking the The Angry GM: The Website: The Book. This project was overfunded in the first hours and is about to launch a book filled with advice for experienced and newbies GMs by the Angry GM. You can expect the same quality and depth present on his articles published on theangrygm.com now revised and condensed in a book format. If you're not familiar with his work I recommend start with this series that teaches the basics of adjudicating players actions, narrating scenes and starting your first game.

Thanks for the heads up. Angry has an interesting in your face style that is a refreshing change of pace.

Also if he is associated with Jim McClure then that is an extra plus to the whole deal. I enjoyed following Jims old podcast series Talking Tabletop back in the day.

Abstruse

Legend
So is GF9 going in a different direction with their D&D games? This one seems more streamlined and doesn't come in the multiple versions (painted/unpainted) like the last few.
There's not a lot of information yet and there are some miniatures in this, but they're less miniatures and more like highly detailed player pawns/meeples that just happen to use the molds for the miniatures. GF9's been doing the more euro and hobbyist style games with the license, while WizKids has been doing the more dungeon-crawl Adventure System ones. And Catalyst Game Labs has a deckbuilder. It makes sense because CGL repurposed the Shadowrun Crossfire game for Dragonfire, GL9 does the accessories so more card-based and strategy-based games work better with their other production, while WizKids is doing the miniature lines so making the big-box dungeon crawl simulator game fits their other production.

Birmy

Adventurer
There's not a lot of information yet and there are some miniatures in this, but they're less miniatures and more like highly detailed player pawns/meeples that just happen to use the molds for the miniatures. GF9's been doing the more euro and hobbyist style games with the license, while WizKids has been doing the more dungeon-crawl Adventure System ones. And Catalyst Game Labs has a deckbuilder. It makes sense because CGL repurposed the Shadowrun Crossfire game for Dragonfire, GL9 does the accessories so more card-based and strategy-based games work better with their other production, while WizKids is doing the miniature lines so making the big-box dungeon crawl simulator game fits their other production.

Ah, I understand now! This makes sense. Thanks for the detailed answer.

Abstruse

Legend
Ah, I understand now! This makes sense. Thanks for the detailed answer.
It's why I always try to hang around the comments for a few days at least. There's only so much space in each column, so there's a lot of info I have to leave out (especially background information on licensing). Or there's stuff that's more implied or inferred rather than clearly stated, so it's better suited to a more informal comment than as part of the column (like the above Critical Role speculation).

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
No. It's really not worth checking out. For a wide variety of reasons.

Can I ask why? I've enjoyed some of their articles though I don't care for the overly verbose lead-ins. Is there something I should watch out for, as someone who was considering backing it but hasn't hopped off the fence about it?

Abstruse

Legend
Can I ask why? I've enjoyed some of their articles though I don't care for the overly verbose lead-ins. Is there something I should watch out for, as someone who was considering backing it but hasn't hopped off the fence about it?

The short version is I don't promote people who are toxic elements of the community, particularly those that promote ideas like One True Way/"You're Playing Wrong", displays discriminatory attitudes, and harass designers on social media. But It's your money and your choice if you want to support it because you enjoy his writing. For me, I can't look past the fact I had to block him on Twitter for being a jerk to other people in the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
The short version is I don't promote people who are toxic elements of the community, particularly those that promote ideas like One True Way/"You're Playing Wrong", displays discriminatory attitudes, and harass designers on social media. But It's your money and your choice if you want to support it because you enjoy his writing. For me, I can't look past the fact I had to block him on Twitter for being a jerk to other people in the industry.

I didn't know about that! Thanks for the info. I'll look into it: I do my best not to support toxic people, but I know some people get labeled unfairly based on an online persona or a misunderstanding. If you have any links to the problems you mention, don't hesitate to share them, but don't feel like you have to spend the time on that either; I can do my own research!

Abstruse

Legend
I didn't know about that! Thanks for the info. I'll look into it: I do my best not to support toxic people, but I know some people get labeled unfairly based on an online persona or a misunderstanding. If you have any links to the problems you mention, don't hesitate to share them, but don't feel like you have to spend the time on that either; I can do my own research!
Normally I wouldn't mind finding something to cite my sources, and I wouldn't put it in a column without doing so... But with a few things going on this week on social media, I've hit my quota on "people who act angry as a persona for cheap clicks but claim 'it's just an act' when called on it while doing real harm to people and the community"... Also, it would require unblocking him on Twitter, which is also something I'm not particularly interested in doing. So it's just my opinion and I encourage people to form their own.

Eilathen

Explorer
They canceled Eric's Star Trek show?! What a shame! I loved that show...it gave CR a run for its money (i have to say i get a bit tired of CR...Campaign 2 is a lot weaker in all aspects compared to the first).
I guess i will give Eric's new show a look (if it is put up on youtube, that is) but while i think he is a cool GM, i am not sure i am interested in a show that runs on the Numenera engine.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases