New Campaign needed

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
We're a third of the way into an excellent Curse of Strahd campaign and my gamers are unanimously claiming it's the best campaign they've ever played (and that's coming from some gamers who've been with me 15 years). But, eventually it'll end around 10th level. So this is about the time I begin brainstorming what's next down the road. The bar has been set high.

Looking for ideas for a fresh long-term campaign (level 1 through at least 10):

• Edition doesn't matter; I can convert. (e.g. I've pulled material from old Dungeon magazines.)
  • Setting doesn't matter, though something fresh does. Fantasy-based, no sci-fi.
  • It's got to be in print. Between job/kids, creating everything from scratch not an option. I totally am into mixing, matching, and taking what I need from a variety of adventures. Doesn't have to all come from the same place.
  • We run an adult game, so no filter needed.
  • Needs to be fresh. That's the hardest part.
  • The last campaigns have been Dungeons & Demons (Out of the Abyss), Classic hack n' loot (Pool of Radiance remake), Super Heroic (Age of Worms conversion with classic dungeon crawls of Tomb of Horrors & Mud Sorcerer's Tomb), and Kingdoms/Fey (Pathfinder Kingmaker).
  • Players liking Strahd because it's new & thematic. They're not saving the world (again), and we agreed to nix races and classes that didn't the fit them during character creation (e.g. tabaxi, tiefling).
  • We've done a lot of mega-dungeon crawls in the last few. Kingmaker, by contrast, was fresh with hex-ploration, kingdom building, and dark fey. While some of it became a chore, on the front end, it was engaging.
  • Limited enthusiasm for Tomb of Annihilation or Storm King's Thunder at this time. Getting impression another "save the world" high fantasy game isn't what they want at this time. For me, it's easier to have the framework, but that's just me.

So there's my menu of player-feedback and observations. Hitting a wall.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
You might consider converting some of the P-series D&D 4e adventures. I think you can probably grab some on Amazon or Ebay. I didn't read, play, or run King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, but the reviews seem decent. I did play in Demon Queen's Enclave and I thought it was a lot of fun. I haven't looked at Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress either.

My next campaign is probably going to be a conversion of all of the D&D 4e adventure series to D&D 5e, so I've been looking into this lately.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Since your players are enjoying the unique flavor of Ravenloft, maybe it's time to explore some other colorful D&D settings: Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, or Eberron. The only trouble is, there aren't many good, long adventures for them. Maybe the The Great Modron March (Planescape)? That's supposed to go up to level 10.

Oh, and there was a recent Pathfinder AP with a lot of sci-fi elements. That could be a good option too.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
My last one involved a cleric who actually befriended the party and took them on a series of quests. Some of these turned out to be so that he could obtain the hand and eye of Vecna. His ultimate goal was to restore Vecna to the mortal world. Current campaign party meets a bounty hunter who's father was hired to protect an ambassador and died in the failed effort to stop an assassin. His family is disgraced. The heroes are enlisted to help avenge the dishonor and restore the families good name. Twist; the father turns out to be the killer and to have impersonated the ambassador.

ToA isn't really very high fantasy - in fact it can be pretty gruelling both in the jungle exploration section and in the (quite deadly) tomb itself. And you aren't really saving the world, just the elite 1% . in any case, it should be simple enough to change the background reason for the adventure if you want.

Draegn

Explorer
I've had success with using aspects from the various Neverwinter Nights computer games. Either 1 or 2 with any expansion, you have maps, npcs, etc... ready made for you to insert as needed. Perhaps something from them will be of use for you.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I wish I could directly assist you in this, but all the 10th level and above games I've run/played have been home-brewed.

Instead I've leave THIS here and hope it assisting in directing you to what you seek.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
And should add I've tried getting my group interest in a general "f*** around campaign," aka here's a map and a tavern. Go. They really like a compelling driving narrative and a theme. Maybe I just need better marketing on Tomb of Annihilation (and homebrew modifications?) to make it appealing. We did play a level 1-7 conversion of Savage Tide which involved dinosaurs & the Isle of Dread, a few years ago. Guessing that could have contributed to a "meh" response.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I've considered grabbing a bunch of Dungeon Crawl Classic modules by Goodman games (probably the 3e ones), letting the setting and story form based solely on which adventure hooks the players bite on.

Remove ads