ZEITGEIST Are magic item powers usable in Danor in 4e?

Are magic item powers usable in Danor in 4e?

Page 41 of the player's guide claims that "Magic item powers, enhancement bonuses, item bonuses, and properties function normally, subject to DM adjudication."

Meanwhile, Always on Time stipulates that "most activated powers of items don't function."

Which is correct?

That is a little vague. Could you please elaborate?

"Ongoing effects" usually fall under magic item enhancement bonuses, item bonuses, and item properties. However, the player's guide claims that "Magic item powers, enhancement bonuses, item bonuses, and properties function normally, subject to DM adjudication."

How does this work, then?

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
It works with GM judgement the vital ability of the GM to make his/her/their own judgement calls during a game as the complexities and vagaries of an individual campaign and the players of that game are such that an author cannot fully cover every circumstance (not that I am an author). You seem to lack trust in your own judgment based on your questions have faith in yourself and your freinds will let you know if you are screwing up.

In this particular case activated items are things like wands/scrolls etc and wondrous items with limited duration activated powers (not sure what the terms are i 4th ed , I stopped reading it after a few pages) constant effect things like +1 swords , belts of strength etc work normally. It is up to you if the flaming property of a sword works or not as that is an activated power. However we also know that the strength of the magic dampaning effect is not constant and changes from the old capital were it is absolute and nothing magical works at all out to the malice lands were things work poorly , it si doubtful if this is a simple progression so it is up to you how well items work in any given area at any given time. I would say that the longer the items is in the area the worse it works and the closer to the old capital the worse it works but I would also base my judgement on the players . Are they the sort who will whine and be upset if their treasured magic items don't work (or worse have a complicated build which does not work without a specific item) or will they enjoy the challange of pushing on without their normal magic, if the former then their items should largely work with enough issues to remind them of were they are and the latter then the items should be unreliable and frequently fail, maybe the complesxities of the arcane crafting of different items means some items work better than others so the player who will have issues with his items not working has them work while the others don't (or visa versa if you think that is more fun)

Samuel Cole

First Post
In our campaign, we're using Inherent Bonuses so that no one "needs" to use magic items if they don't want to. This allowed me to take away ALL of their magic items when we got to Danor. Your magic staff is just a stick now.

Remove ads