D&D 5E [Guide] Blades of Justice: The 5e Paladin guide

Gavin O.

First Post
The guide states that Spiritual weapon is compatible with Divine Smite and later Improved Divine Smite. What is that statement based on?
As far as I'm aware both Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite state they are related to melee weapon attacks and spiritual weapon stats that it is a melee spell attack. Rules wise, those are different things.

"when you hit a creature with a melee weapon Attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target,"

"Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage."

"When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon."

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Whoops, you're absolutely correct. I was hung up on it being a melee attack and forgot it specified weapon as well. This doesn't change the spell's rating, but I'll update the description.

GuyLomBard-O

First Post
Hi there.

Don't know if you're maintaining this thread, but I'd just make a note about your Wrathful Smite entry in the first level spells section.

You say: "Wrathful Smite Every saving throw after the first requires the target use up their action, and feared is a nice effect, Especially for Conquest. However, it breaks your concentration."

I'd just suggest that you make it clear that it's only the first roll of the target that's actually a saving throw. The following rounds' rolls are actually only Wisdom ability checks. Which is actually quite a big difference, for two reasons. First, the target doesn't get his proficiency bonus if he's proficient in Wisdom saves. Second, the Frightened condition says "A frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight." That means that the target gets to use his whole action to attempt a Wisdom check at disadvantage and without proficiency bonus to break his frightened condition. Most likely, that ain't gonna happen.

Probably one of the very few smite spells that's worth your concentration, at least in certain situations.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases