The Road to Discovery

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Discussing the Empire

Nalvis shrugged, "I don't really know what its like to have an emperor."
Yannif explains. "There is not really another title for a ruler in the Eastabin language. The term would be 'Konungur' in Norikadian. The Ming Dynasty has ruled the marshland from the Empire seat of Eastaboga for many generation. We have had peace within the villages and better trade as far out as the Rocky Shore, less hostilities with the indigenous uncivilized. I cannot understand why anyone would want to depose Emperor Tau. He was a fair minded and kind individual, as far as I know."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric nodded, "The purist leader repeated the same phrases over and over. One of them was a reference to ending geriatric leadership, and then putting a foreign concubine and his defiled seed out to sea. Possibly his pillow-mate, as you call it, became pregnant by the emperor and this is what caused Shon Yu and his followers to rebel. Whatever the reason, we find it abhorrent. Are there any other communities along the river that you know about?"

Yannif offers more tea as he refills his own bowl. "
This is interesting news you bring. Emperor Tau had a kindly Hebrian wife, but she was barren. I, of course, will not know all of the specifics, but the Emperor did have a child with his Spiofthest pillow mate. He and his wife accepted the boy as the heir and raised him to be such. He should be about your age, now. The word concubine is an insult, like saying sex slave. Pillow mate is more polite terminology.

Ironic you should ask of the other community along the river, for the only one you do not know is the Spiofthest village. As you know the Orngaddrin village, if you are returning to the Village of the Marsh from there, once you enter the main stream, travel upward to the west. The Spiofthest live at the junction of where the flow through the plains begins to climb back into the foothills.

With the establishment of the Empire so long ago, there was a Spiofthest delegation within Eastaboga. There was also an Orngaddrin delegation. If the Spiofthest within the city have been killed, I would wager that the Orngaddrin were as well. I suspect that these revolutionaries were hitting the mixed villages to bolster their courage for an outright battle, and lost to the Orngaddrin. Good riddance. Whoever this Shon Yu is, he cannot have the interest of the people in mind. He is after power and control
."
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Nalvis says, "Perhaps we will discover who this Shon Yu is in time, but for now it does not effect us. We will travel to this Spiofthest village to speak with their people after we visit the Orngaddrin again. We are glad to know you and your people, Yannif, and we will visit again, hopefully with some items you find valuable for trade."

MacConnell

Back at the Orgaddrin Village

Nalvis says, "Perhaps we will discover who this Shon Yu is in time, but for now it does not effect us. We will travel to this Spiofthest village to speak with their people after we visit the Orngaddrin again. We are glad to know you and your people, Yannif, and we will visit again, hopefully with some items you find valuable for trade."
It takes 4 days to return, by river, to the Orngaddrin Village. The trip provides no direct confrontation with any hostilities. As with the previous river travel, the crew is able to harvest fish and varmints for food. Nalvis, Mekric, and Arbrine are becoming much more comfortable with operating the boat.

The boat must be beached and the approach to the southern gate of the Orngaddrin Village finished on foot. Recognizing the party, the sentry waves and calls greeting, inviting the River Crew to come through the open gate. The villagers seem pleasantly going about their daily lives.
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
.[/sblock]

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
The River Crew are friendly with the Orngaddrin, returning the wave of the sentry and warmly greeting the villagers they see. They are grateful to have so many friends after losing so much. They collect their orders from the craftsmen and finalize any trades.

Nalvis says to Marmeren, "We have met the Hebrians that lit the signal fire to alert you to the Eastabin soldiers. We found them to be friendly and reasonable people. The leader there, Yannif, told us of another village of the Spiofthest and we will visit them next. Are there any other places of interest along the rivers of this area? We are planning to explore and know more about this part of the world before we go investigate Eastaboga."

Mekric will visit with the catapultiers and investigate what other machines they have that could possibly be mounted to their boat, such as a ballista.

Arbrine explores around with Quill, meeting more of the Orngaddrin and cementing their friendships.

MacConnell

The Orngaddrin Village

The River Crew are friendly with the Orngaddrin, returning the wave of the sentry and warmly greeting the villagers they see. They are grateful to have so many friends after losing so much. They collect their orders from the craftsmen and finalize any trades.
Rekyavik collects his newly bladed harpoon and inspects its head and feels its balance. A wide grin spreads across his face. When Arbrine arrives for her gauntlets the smith speaks with her, in Eastabin. "I had a better idea after you left. My original idea would have been weaker and not specifically functional for ensuing combat, as I deem you are intending it. Instead of mounting the harnin plates to the gloves, I moulded rings to slide over your fingers, around the gloves. When close your fist, you will have a ridged plate across the striking surface."
OOC: Character records have been updated to reflect new equipment.

Kwargrow said:
Nalvis says to Marmeren, "We have met the Hebrians that lit the signal fire to alert you to the Eastabin soldiers. We found them to be friendly and reasonable people. The leader there, Yannif, told us of another village of the Spiofthest and we will visit them next. Are there any other places of interest along the rivers of this area? We are planning to explore and know more about this part of the world before we go investigate Eastaboga."
Marmeren replies, "Ah yes, those are good people over in the Heights. There is a highland trail that leads between our community to theirs, but it takes considerable time to travel. The people of the Marsh usually conduct trade with all of us, by river, since they are the avid sailors."

He pauses a moment, changing subjects. "None of us has actually been to the Spiofthest village, but we trade tools for meat with them, usually by way of the Marshland sailing vessels. I understand the Spiofthests to be a quiet and skittish people."

He rubs his pale, balding head in concentration of the proposed question. "As we lack the means and talent to explore the river ourselves, I can provide you little information on the subject. I have been told that downriver, into the flats of the marsh, itself, there are many switchbacks and oxbows and hidden pools all through the reeds. The villages we have previously discussed are the only ones that I know, and then there is Eastaboga. We used to have a working relationship with them, but I suspect that will no longer be possible, in light of recent events."

"Now upstream above us, where the river is no longer navigable, there are extensive nooks and fissures that hide a multitude of creatures, but nothing of civilized people, that I know."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric will visit with the catapultiers and investigate what other machines they have that could possibly be mounted to their boat, such as a ballista.
The catapulters are intrigued with Mekric's inquiry, though unable to provide any offering. "We have never considered the concept of a mechanism for firing an arrow or a spear. With the catapults, we are firing blind and arching the projectiles over an obstruction. Even a smaller version of this, we suspect would be useless when mounted to a floating vessel. The repercussion of the launch would shake the vessel uncontrollably. We will investigate the idea of a mechanism to launch something like an arrow. I am sure we can come up with something."

Kwargrow said:
Arbrine explores around with Quill, meeting more of the Orngaddrin and cementing their friendships.
Arbrine and Quill meet more of the villagers than any of the upfront fighters from the River Crew. The cooks and medics are interested in the girls' instinctual knowledge of various herbs and other plant parts, encouraging the two to collect extra of anything they come across in their travels.
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Nalvis says, "Thank you for the info."

Mekric says, "The concept is pretty simple. I am envisioning an over large bow mounted on some kind of stand that we can mount on the ship. I am thinking it would help us with hunting in the marshes where we can't really get out of the boat to pull in our prey. If we had a large mounted bow and tied a cord to the arrow, we could shoot the arrows into larger prey and pull it to our ship with the cord. It could also help us with defense in case something attacks us while we're sailing. I have found that while the ship if moving it is hard to maintain aim with a standard bow. If we had one mounted, it would allow greater accuracy and I don't think the recoil would affect the ship much."

Arbrine thanks him for the harnin knuckles and tries them out on various substances, wood, stone, to see how well they work.

After a lengthy visit the River Crew will move on to sail to the spiofthest village.

MacConnell

Moving On

Mekric says, "The concept is pretty simple. I am envisioning an over large bow mounted on some kind of stand that we can mount on the ship. I am thinking it would help us with hunting in the marshes where we can't really get out of the boat to pull in our prey. If we had a large mounted bow and tied a cord to the arrow, we could shoot the arrows into larger prey and pull it to our ship with the cord. It could also help us with defense in case something attacks us while we're sailing. I have found that while the ship if moving it is hard to maintain aim with a standard bow. If we had one mounted, it would allow greater accuracy and I don't think the recoil would affect the ship much."
The catapult designers smile and give a polite laugh. "Yes. yes. That part is simple. The question remains as to drawing it. If the weapon can be drawn by hand, the projectile will be too small and the power too little to carry a line, and for that matter, attaching a line interferes with the trajectory. We need to determine a method for attaching a bow and a mechanism for firing it that is simple and does not interfere with the necessary movement of the crew about the boat. It will also need to be sufficiently large so as to fire a projectile large enough to carry a rope. We know that the Norikadians do this by hand with their harpoons when whaling or shark hunting. Can you image a bow sufficient to launch that weapon that Vik carries? We will work on this. We like the concept."
Kwargrow said:
Arbrine thanks him for the harnin knuckles and tries them out on various substances, wood, stone, to see how well they work.
Arbrine is pleasantly surprised at the impact her punch has on bare wood, imbedding the print of the 'knuckles' into where she strikes. Hitting stone is a different matter, all together. It is painful and painfully obvious that punching a hard surface with everything she can muster will eventually damage the knuckles and her hands. The design is very solid. Having no real reason to strike stone, she feels that bone would give even more easily than wood. She thinks to herself, ~People and creatures are made of bone and flesh.~
Kwargrow said:
After a lengthy visit the River Crew will move on to sail to the spiofthest village.
It takes eleven days of river travel to reach the Spiofthest Village from the Orngaddrin Village. The crew drifts downstream for five days, then sails back upstream along the most southern branch of the river for six days. Travel upstream is half the pace of that downstream.

The southern most branch of the Marshland River is flatter and wider than the other branches, though the flow is still definite, unlike down near the rivers mouth and the even flatter marsh, itself. The weather becomes slightly cooler over the course of the days and rain becomes more frequent. Fish and game are collected in sufficient quantities that the crew has no worries of food.

The southern edge of the river is muddier and edged with reeds, while the northern side is more rocky and shaded by brush and trees. Varmints and reptiles are collected more often from the flatter side of the river. Evidence of uncivilized people is occasionally evident on the steeper side. Nothing scarce or remotely exotic is encountered during the travel, but various game trails and paths are noted along the way.
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
The River Crew debate on whether or not to explore the area, but decide that they want to meet the Spiofthest first, ask them about interesting places in the area, and then explore. That way if they get caught up in interesting circumstances they won't have to back track to meet the Spiofthest. They push on to the next village.

MacConnell

The Spiofthest Village

The first noticeable difference, as the River Crew sails into the new territory, is the sprawl with which the Spiofthests have made use of the greater open space. The village is on flatter land than the others, encountered. There are several wooden docks from which canoes and skiffs are tied. There are bow fishermen out on skiffs, scanning the shallows even as the crew eases passed.

The people wave and are generally friendly, but quickly go back to their current tasks. A man comes walking along the nearest dock and motions for the crew to head his direction and helps secure the vessel to the dock. As everyone disembarks, he speaks, "Eastabin? No Norikadian."

After the crew confirms that Eastabin is acceptable, he continues. "Welcome, I am Caladh. I am the dock master. I have not seen your crew before, but we are open to new trade, though I see you are not laden. If you are exploring the area, will shall not interfere as long as our people are treated peaceably. Come ashore. Have you any news to bring of your travels?"
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Nalvis says, "Well met, Caladh. You may call us the River Crew. We are exploring the area, but we also wanted to visit your village. We come from the eastern sea shore where personal tragedy brought us into this river system. Eastabin soldiers were travelling the area, killing anyone not Hebrian, and our own family and friends suffered under this brutality. We caught up to these soldiers at the Orngaddrin village and put an end to their villainy. There is a new ruler in Eastaboga, Shon Yu, who is promoting the idea that only Hebrians should be in this part of the world. Obviously this goes against what we believe in."

Mekric says, "We received this boat as part of the spoils of our victory, and we are exploring this river system to know more about the world around us. Do you know of any interesting places or other communities we could visit? We would also like to initiate trade if we come across any items your people need."

Arbrine does not engage with Caladh, but looks to Quill and whispers, "Want to do our thing and see what we can find on our own?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases