D&D 5E 5e Roman Legionnaire

Kraj

First Post
What is the best way to make the Roman Legionnaire? Obviously fighter, but more specifically the subclass, armor/weapon choices, and feats

Use this as a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_military_personal_equipment

From that, looks like for armor any of chain shirt, scale mail, breastplate or chain mail would be acceptable. Weapons should most likely be short sword, dagger and javelin. For late Empire, replace short sword with long sword and javelin with spear.

Definitely want to use a shield.

Subclass should be Battle Master most likely. Maybe Cavalier if you want to model cavalry.

Probably prefer STR over DEX, though a DEX of 14 would definitely help especially if you want to wear medium armor.

Shield Master is pretty much a required feat for the Legionnaire concept. Resilient (WIS) models Legionnaire discipline pretty well and is great for Fighters anyway to keep you from being charmed or frightened. Sentinel is always good in general.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Use Legionary. Legionnaire is a different soldier from a much later period. That said, Roman troper's kept it simple. I'd go with variant human fighter with shield master. If he went to higher levels, I'd go with champion.

FieserMoep

Explorer
Maybe even pick up Prodigy to get Expertise on Athletics and thus your Shield Shove aka Signature Move.
Shove - Stab - (Stab) - (Stab) - (Stab) = Dude on the Ground with plenty holes.
Prodigy also allows you to get some Tool Proficency, Roman Soldiers were quite good in fieldcraft and expected to take care of many chores within their unit (Depending on Era of Inspiration).
Further more another Proficiency is always is nice to have and can be adjusted to your needs and what you already have.
Another language may help you to portray a Soldier that was or is Stationed in a foreign Land. Opens up many doors depending on campaign.

Tersival

First Post
Battlemaster would be better imo

I second Champion for the rank and file Roman Legionary. At their peak they were remarkable for their ability to march all day then build a fortified camp for the night. An endurance excellently reflected by the Champions' Remarkable Athlete ability which gives them a bonus on Constitution checks. Sure, you could take proficiency in Athletics for a better bonus, but you only get two class proficiencies...

For officers, cavalry and auxilliary units, anything goes.

I second Champion for the rank and file Roman Legionary. At their peak they were remarkable for their ability to march all day then build a fortified camp for the night. An endurance excellently reflected by the Champions' Remarkable Athlete ability which gives them a bonus on Constitution checks. Sure, you could take proficiency in Athletics for a better bonus, but you only get two class proficiencies...

For officers, cavalry and auxilliary units, anything goes.

Rank and file would be NPC soldiers. PCs would be officers, cavalry and auxiliaries. So Battle Master all the way.

Remove ads