Animal Companion Fix thoughts

Eubani

Legend
I was wondering if a properly crafted Find companion Spell ala Find Steed and Familiar would be a good way of dealing with the Ranger companion. Should the spell improve with a higher level slot or should a Greater version be made. I imagine it would be a 1st level spell so the Magic Initiate feat would give access. The next question what would properly crafted entail in this context?

Harzel

Adventurer
I sort of hate to be the one to ask, since some take offense at the question, but what problem are you trying to solve? Beastmaster rangers already can have a companion. Are you looking for a way to give all Rangers a companion, or are you dissatisfied with the Beastmaster companion feature, or something else?

Eubani

Legend
I sort of hate to be the one to ask, since some take offense at the question, but what problem are you trying to solve? Beastmaster rangers already can have a companion. Are you looking for a way to give all Rangers a companion, or are you dissatisfied with the Beastmaster companion feature, or something else?
I have no issue asking as it was asked politely and is meaningful to the conversation. To answer your question I find the Beast Master subclass to be very clunky and poorly designed and I like the ideas of the spell as it opens it up to all Rangers at a minor cost (1 spell known) and to all others at a slightly larger cost (1 feat).

Oofta

Legend
I agree, the beastmaster seems pretty underpowered. Sacrificing an attack every round is pretty huge, even if you do add a few points to attack and damage.

What we did in my wife's campaign was to allow the PC to buy barding (light armor) and said that they needed to use a bonus action to command the animal the first round but after that it would continue attacking until told otherwise. We also increased the HP since at higher levels it was way too squishy. We ended up just giving it 3/4 of the HP of the ranger. So not quite as tough as the rest of the party but decent.

Eubani

Legend
Maybe a fix to the Beast Master could be Something like Instictive Action: The beast on it's turn will attack any one creature that attacks it or the Beast Master.

Eubani

Legend
Back to my original question, what would a Find Animal Companion spell look like? How would it differ from Find Steed and Find Familiar?

Oofta

Legend
Back to my original question, what would a Find Animal Companion spell look like? How would it differ from Find Steed and Find Familiar?

A ranger's companion could be a warhorse. Depending on how much you pay attention to sage advice tweets a while back I think they said that a summoned steed was just a regular horse and that it the paladin needed to use their attack action to command the horse. In addition, the "official" answer seems to be that the mount leaves all equipment behind if it dies or is sent away meaning no saddle, barding, bit or bridle.

We never played it that way, it's an intelligent mount. So the only thing the spell buys you is that the animal is slightly more intelligent than average which may allow it to act independently. You lose the benefit of proficiency bonus and the minor increase to HP at higher levels.

In other words, making it a spell doesn't buy much of anything unless there's something I'm missing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases