Requesting idea: Magic Masks

kullboys

First Post
Hello everyone
I tried to ask for ideas before and got no responces... so I'll try one more time.

I am requesting ideas for magic masks so I can fill up a merchants invantory with interesting masks for the characters to buy. The basics of masks as I have ruled them is that they encompass (more or less) the qualities of appearance and powers that would be attached to the head.

For example theres the Vampire mask, which grants a gave the dominates others. Or the dappleganger mask which give a player the ability to alter self like a doppleganger. Not all masks have to be tied or releted to a monster however. Some grant the ability to detect magic auras or seee invisibility.

Masks take up the same slot as goggles or some such on the head, but leaves no room for a helmet. This being the case a mask should have powers that make it worth sacrificing two magic item slots for. (although in my game strings I don't often see too many players actualy use helmets a lot)

So help me out, gimme some ideas. I would like a broad and creative selection.
Thanks.

Richards

Legend
Well, one obvious input would be a variety of animal masks that allow you to shapechange into the animal in question (and back again). Nothing too powerful; a wolf or a bear would be fine, whereas a red dragon or mind flayer would probably pushing it. And maybe put a limit onto how often per day you could use it. It would allow a PC to mimic some of the effects of running a lycanthropic character (or hengeyokai) without the baggage that normally comes along with it. (Plus, there's mythological precedent: some legends have a werewolf being a man who puts on a wolf's skin to become a wolf.)

Johnathan

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Mask of the Doppleganger - this mask allows you to take on the form of any other humanoid who has worn it. You have the same physical states as the person whose form you take, but still retain all of your skills and spellcasting ability (unless the physical form prevents it, e.g., if the form you assume has no hands for somatic spell casting components).

Jhaelen

First Post
Hello everyone
I tried to ask for ideas before and got no responces... so I'll try one more time.
Where? This appears to be your first post here...

Anyway, you may want to have a look at the D&D 3e supplement 'Magic of Incarnum'. It featured masks that (iirc) worked exactly like you imagine them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases