It’s LAUNCH DAY For The Pathfinder 2 Playtest!

Today’s the day! You can now download the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest book!

Today’s the day! You can now download the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest book!

FC597426-ACD3-4427-B8BD-7AEC778B32B9.png

Head on over to Paizo.com to download it for free.

Its tinged with a little sadness for those of us who preordered the hard copy, as issues with Amazon means that our copies have been delayed by an indefinite amount.

’’When Paizo was planning this year's Pathfinder Playtest, we expected to exceed our own ability to fulfill orders on a timely basis, so we decided to use Fulfillment by Amazon. Unfortunately, Amazon's reports indicate that most customers will not be receiving their orders by tomorrow's release date. They shipped 3 orders on July 28, 3 more on July 29, and no orders on July 30 or 31. Today, they have shipped almost 10% of the outstanding orders, and they are continuing to ship through the night and into tomorrow. They have so far been unable to tell us when they will complete shipping.”

However, at least the PDFs are still available for free in the meantime.

Adventure chapters are also available alongside the rule book, with the first being available today. They are as follows:

1. The Lost Star, Aug 7 - Aug 26 (Also available at Gen Con on Aug 2.)
  2. In Pale Mountain’s Shadow, Aug 7 - Sep 9
  3. Affair At Sombrefell Hall, Sep 10 - Sep 23
  4. The Mirrored Moon, Sep 24 - Oct 8
  5. The Heroes Of Undarin, Oct 9 - Oct 21
  6. Red Flags, Oct 22 - Nov 4
  7. When The Stars Go Dark, Nov 5 - Nov 18

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Insane amount of free material. I haven't started reading it yet, much......I never played PF, but really liked the tactical parts of 3.x and 4.0....but man, there are a lot of numbers on the monsters!

Initial impressions:

3 actions and one reaction per turn. Attacking is an action...casting a spell, walking, jumping up and down. All actions. Everyone gets them. So, if you stay still, do you get three attacks? Looking deeper to see if I can get some clarity here...
I'm not sure about using the Ancestry (i.e. Dwarf, elf, Human, etc.) to determine starting hit points...not really sure if I like it.
The system is very feat heavy. For example, you get feats for ancestry, for class, etc. I kind of like this as it allows you to really customize your character, though I do wonder about potential broken combos.
The number of skills you get is based of your Intelligence. YES!!
Clerics and their channel energy...holy chit!!! They can cast a maximized a Heal or Harm spell 3 times a day? I haven't gotten to the spell list yet, so I'm really hoping those spells have been modified...
The character creation is interesting. You get attribute boosts for your ancestry, for your background, for your class, and then 4 free ones. All stats start at 10.
Backgrounds appear to have a significant impact on your character. This is a good thing, IMO.

Ok...those are just first impressions. Still reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercurius

Legend
As someone who hasn't played Pathfinder or followed 2e's development but is still curious, what is comparison of P2 to P1, relative to D&D editions? Is it more of a smaller organizational change like AD&D 1E to 2E or 3E to 3.5 a massive change like 2E to 3E, 3.5 to 4E or 4E to 5E?

Schmoe

Adventurer
[MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION], my impression (from following previews) is that this change is more analogous to the shift from D&D 2E -> 3E.

As someone who hasn't played Pathfinder or followed 2e's development but is still curious, what is comparison of P2 to P1, relative to D&D editions? Is it more of a smaller organizational change like AD&D 1E to 2E or 3E to 3.5 a massive change like 2E to 3E, 3.5 to 4E or 4E to 5E?

Based on paying attention to the previews and skimming through the playtest document, it's probably akin to a change from 2e to 3e.

ruemere

Adventurer
[MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION], PFRPG2 to PFRPG1 is like 3.5 to 3.0. Same base system, new mechanics. The changes are _nowhere_ near jump from 2E to 3E.

thekittenhugs

First Post
The real comparison here should be from 3.5e to 4e. Everything is far more compartmentalized and modularized, with weird changes to prices and an obsession with giving everything (equipment, check DCs, monsters) "level" markers. The similarities between 4e power, item, and monster cards and the way PF2e's playtests lays out pretty much everything is striking. An odd choice, since PF's success hinged on 4e's lack thereof.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We’ve had votes for 2E-3E, 3.5-3.0(?!), and 3.5-4E. Running out of options, but I’m gonna grab 1E-2E before it goes! I think that only leaves 4E-5E.

Remove ads

Remove ads