Chameleon's Revised Ranger

CTurbo

Explorer
So does your Ranger get 2 attacks at level 5? Does the companion get ASIs every 4th level like the Ranger?

I like your revisions overall especially to the base class although the capstone is still a bit weak even though it's much better than Foe Slayer. I'd almost say keep Foe Slayer's benefits in there too lol. I guess you didn't like Prof bonus to damage for your companion? I like the new level 7 feature of having magical attacks, but I also liked the companion getting advantage on all saves too. I love Shared Spell that's great.

ChameleonX

Explorer
So does your Ranger get 2 attacks at level 5? Does the companion get ASIs every 4th level like the Ranger?

I like your revisions overall especially to the base class although the capstone is still a bit weak even though it's much better than Foe Slayer. I'd almost say keep Foe Slayer's benefits in there too lol. I guess you didn't like Prof bonus to damage for your companion? I like the new level 7 feature of having magical attacks, but I also liked the companion getting advantage on all saves too. I love Shared Spell that's great.

Yes, the Ranger gets two attacks, but can trade in one of them to let the Beast attack. I took away the proficiency bonus to damage to balance out the improved action economy of the Beast; i.e., effectively, you're getting three attacks per round, and with the power Increase to CR 1, that is a significant benefit.

I took out the ASI and Proficiencies because I felt like they made the Beast too much of a presence in the game. From my POV, the UA went from a disposable robotic companion in the vanilla version to an over-the-top badass that actually overshadowed the Ranger herself.

Although, that may have been because I let the Ranger in question forge plate armor for her wolf and carry around a Sun Blade in it's mouth instead of it's basic attack...

CTurbo

Explorer
I like the companions getting ASI bumps every 4 levels as I think they should be able to grow just like the Ranger. I agree with everything else though.

Spohedus

Explorer
Beast Master now feels too strong. At level 3, I could have a direwolf companion who is better than the 3rd level fighter in the party, attacks with advantage most turns, knocks things prone and does more damage. Then at level 5, I effectively get my two attacks (potentially with Hunter's Mark), plus the dire wolf attacks with advantage for 2d6+3 with ST to cause the prone condition (which gives me advantage on my attacks). I would recommend enabling higher CR beasts as the ranger levels and enabling them to gain their own attack action at higher level (maybe level 11). Maybe at level five or seven you can forego one of your attacks for the beast to attack with its reaction. That's still really strong because most of the time it will use the help action giving you advantage.

ChameleonX

Explorer
Beast Master now feels too strong. At level 3, I could have a direwolf companion who is better than the 3rd level fighter in the party, attacks with advantage most turns, knocks things prone and does more damage. Then at level 5, I effectively get my two attacks (potentially with Hunter's Mark), plus the dire wolf attacks with advantage for 2d6+3 with ST to cause the prone condition (which gives me advantage on my attacks). I would recommend enabling higher CR beasts as the ranger levels and enabling them to gain their own attack action at higher level (maybe level 11). Maybe at level five or seven you can forego one of your attacks for the beast to attack with its reaction. That's still really strong because most of the time it will use the help action giving you advantage.

Better in terms of raw damage, perhaps, but the fighter will probably have higher AC and more hit points, as well as second wind, action surge, and subclass benefits. Plus, the fighter will eventually get ASIs and/or feats, better equipment, and four attacks by level 20.

Remove ads