SJG's The Fantasy Trip Opens To 3rd-Party Creators

Following on from the phenomenal success of WotC's Dungeon Master's Guild, Steve Jackson Games is opening up its latest (revived from the 1970s) RPG, The Fantasy Trip (currently on Kickstarter), to third parties on its PDF storefront, Warehouse 23.

8b591f39f05c9b11dd5db923290a1193_original.jpg

The revived The Fantasy Trip is currently coming to the end of its Kickstarter run, and the license will be opened up in 2019. The license will include Cidri (the world), allowing creators to sell adventures, locations, monsters, and so on:

"In 2019, the world of Cidri, the official setting for Steve Jackson's The Fantasy Trip roleplaying game, expands as everyone is invited to contribute adventures (solo and game mastered), area writeup and history, monsters, characters, treasure, and more to the game.

In celebration and support of the return of The Fantasy Trip, Steve Jackson Games will release a limited publishing agreement for the game in 2019.

Under the terms of the license, writers and illustrators will be able to create original PDFs for sale on Warehouse 23, the Steve Jackson Games web store, and earn royalties for the sale of those works. All PDFs offered for sale under this agreement will have the right to use the world of Cidri and the TFT game mechanics, all under an official "Compatible with The Fantasy Trip" logo.

The limited publishing license will provide fans of The Fantasy Trip with more support than Steve Jackson Games alone can manage, as well as offering creators an opportunity to showcase their talents and transform their ideas into official PDFs.
Please watch thefantasytrip.game for more information on the upcoming TFT Limited Publishing Agreement."

The Fantasy Trip is a fantasy tabletop RPG dating back to 1977s, written by Steve Jackson for Metagaming Concepts, and designed to be played with a GM or on their own. According to Wikikepdia, it was the first published RPG to use a point-buy system for character creation (previously random dice rolls were usually used). Jackson regained the rights to The Fantasy Trip in 2017, and launched the current Kickstarter. Originally, the game consisted of a series of micrograms -- Melee, Wizard, and more.

Barantor

Explorer
If this works for them, I would not be surprised to see them to something similar with GURPS.

Dungeon Fantasy (powered by GURPS) just had it's first real adventure module delivered from Kickstarter called "Hall of Judgement" by Douglas H Cole. This did pretty well considering how Dungeon Fantasy evidently didn't do as well as expected and really is a sign that SJG might be opening it's doors more and more to third party writers/creators in the future.

My hope is that it happens since GURPS itself is solid, but gets mired in it's own companies books and lack of one focus.

Regarding the success of the DMs Guild, Chris Lindsay and Mike Mearls have mentioned many times that is has exceeded all of their expectations.

For something a little more objective, Alexa currently ranks the DMs Guild as the 3,941 most popular site in the US, while Drivethrurpg is at 4,133. Their positions are reversed on an international scale, but the point is that DMs Guild on its own now receives a comparable amount of traffc to DrivethruRPG.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Isn't that the article where WOTC went on and on about how successful and popular a set of 10 authors were, and then when you looked at their products you found that the majority of them had only a few works, and a fair number of the works they were promoting were rated mediocre?

Any time WOTC says *anything* I would argue it's worth a healthy dose of analysis and research. I can't think of any statement from WOTC regarding popularity in years that wasn't easily found to be less than truthful.

Fair enough. Here's my additional knowledge beyond that article:
*my personal sales #s
*those of about a dozen out of the top several dozen sellers on the Guild (that I've seen with my own eyes)
*I work in eCommerce
*I'm currently working on an eCommerce project surrounding the hobby games industry

With no marketing and no layout skills whatsoever I've sold over 4,000 units of my top 2 titles, a few thousand total of my less popular titles, and have made over $6k. That's NOT including Wizards' take.

I'm literally a nobody on that site, and I've netted WOTC thousands and thousands of dollars. There are several dozen authors who dwarf my sales by multiple orders of magnitude. I absolutely guarantee you it's a success even by "it's a corporation and they need really big numbers" measures.

Outside of those numbers, we've all watched as multiple of the bigger players in the industry have jumped into this game in much the same way. Storytellers Vault probably being the next biggest kid on the block. Note that they have in-roads to see -- maybe not to a T, but with some degree of accuracy -- the business model that DMsGuild is running via their connection to DriveThru. I'd argue that's enough evidence of something being right, but if you wanted more, refer back to my numbers, above, and ask around about folks like MT Black, Jeff Stevens, the various Guild Adepts, Alex Clippinger, Travis Legge, and a few of the other top sellers. The market is very, very big, the sales are incredibly consistent (and growing), and if there was more of impetus for buyers to leave substantial, useful reviews, I think it'd do even better.

DerKastellan

Explorer
Not to distract from arguing about WotC, I look forward to the outcome of the KS. I'll give it a spin and it's good to know that if you like it, you might just chose to publish for it.

Though I don't exactly expect much traffic or revenue on Warehouse 23. Does anybody know how they are ranked? Would it be probably 4th behind DriveThru sites, Paizo, and Chaosium?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases