Yawning Portal For Eberron

Reynard

Legend
Soon I will be starting an Eberron campaign on Fantasy Grounds (the Wayfarer's Guide is available for FG now, for anyone interested) and I am going to at least start with Tales from the Yawning Portal (meaning I will be running at least Sunken Citadel and Forge of Fury, and then we'll see where it goes).

The purpose of this thread will be to address Eberron specific issues in Yawning Portal. I am hoping for lots of perspectives and collective brainstorming, so feel free to chime in with whatever you got!

As it relates to the titular inn, where should the Yawning Portal be located? The obvious answer is Sharn, of course, but is there an Eberron city better suited or more appropriately located? Do you need the YP at all, and if not what would you do for a framing sequence/HQ in Eberron?

On Sunken Citadel, I have a pretty good handle on goblins in Eberron and I think the Citadel goblins work pretty well as is for bandit minded goblins, but I don't feel like I have a good idea of what Eberron kobolds are like (aside from what the Wayfarer's Guide says about them). Relatedly, is there a good Eberron dragon to replace Ashardalon with here?

Thanks.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sharon is ideal for the Yawning Portal - there’s an enormous undercity full of dangers, as the hobgoblin ruins of Ja’Sharaat, the Cogs, and theSewers all add multiple dungeon levels. So a bar in, say, Lower Dura, having a huge pit in its middle that leads into the depths wouldn’t be out of place.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Not Eberron-specific, but:
If you run the Doomvault, let the players know that they will need a map. My group didn't make one, and now we are lost. We can find the exit (teleportals are nifty) but we can't figure out where to locate our goal; we are walking around a very large circle.
One easy way to work this into the adventure is to have their patron tell them that (s)he wants a map, in case the PCs fail part-way through, so (s)he can tell the next squad a little more about the assignment.

Reynard

Legend
Not Eberron-specific, but:
If you run the Doomvault, let the players know that they will need a map. My group didn't make one, and now we are lost. We can find the exit (teleportals are nifty) but we can't figure out where to locate our goal; we are walking around a very large circle.
One easy way to work this into the adventure is to have their patron tell them that (s)he wants a map, in case the PCs fail part-way through, so (s)he can tell the next squad a little more about the assignment.

Good to know, thanks. It will be quite a while before we get there, though.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Are you more interested in the adventures from Yawning Portal, or do you really like the framing device.

One of the things I like about Eberron is the ability to movr easily and quickly from place to place, "redlining it," as it were.

So eaxh adventure could be scattered throughout Eberron without a particular need for portals. Perhaps the Yawning Portal simply has broadsheets on a bulletin board referencing each place? Or a single patron that sends them on each adventure?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Yawning Portal itself doesn't play into the adventures themselves. And all seven adventures have specific advice for placement in Eberron.

Ymdar

Explorer
Yawning Portal inn is located above the Lightning Rail station of Sharn and characters need to climb down and board a train to the location of the respective dungeon. Problem solved.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Put it in Thronehold. I think Thronehold is wildly underrated as a base for Eberron campaigns. Starting at Thronehold also means you're in the most populated area of Khorvaire (the area around Scions Sound), and have easy access to lightning rail or airship as needed. You have access to enclaves of the four remaining nations, and the House Deneith guards give you contacts with the dragonmarked houses. Plus, geographically, you're close to the Mournland, and have easy access to 3 of the 4 Galifarian nations, plus the Mror Holds and the Eldeen Reaches.

Remove ads