WOIN How does the Inspiring trait work out of combat?

Steven Barker

First Post
I'm playing a high-charisma leader character in my latest game of N.E.W. and we were a bit perplexed by how the Inspiring trait I've taken should work in non-combat situations where the cost of an action doesn't seem to matter.

The rule in the book doesn't give any limitations, so it seemed like by RAW I could always give a 1d6 bonus to one fellow character whenever they were making an attribute check. That seemed OP. A few examples where it cam up were an INT+perception check to scout a building with binoculars from a distance, and later some AGI+stealth checks the whole party was making (where I tried to help out the least stealthy character).

My GM made a pretty reasonable on-the-fly ruling that out of combat I'd need to pass a CHA+leadership test first, but even then I probably could have used it a lot more than I actually did (I didn't want to exploit the system too badly). I'm not exactly sure what he'd have done if I failed my test, with my character's 5d6 on the CHA+leadership tests it never came up. If it would have subtracted a die, then it would at least a small risk.

I'm just curious if we were missing something. Should the trait be limited to once a day, like a lot of other traits are? Should it not be usable at all outside of a combat situation? Or should it have some other cost, beyond just "an action" (like a luck die)?

For reference, here is the trait's text (from page 59 of N.E.W.):

Inspiring. You are able to instill positive emotions in people with your words, using an action to give one ally a +1d6 bonus to their next attribute check if they are within 30’ feet of you.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good catch! The intention would be that would be once per day per beneficiary, no check needed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases