D&D = American + European Fantasy

Dungeons & Dragons draws on a rich mythology from the works of European authors like J.R.R. Tolkien and Michael Moorcock. And yet D&D was also influenced by American authors like Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H.P. Lovecraft, and R.E. Howard. The end result is that D&D's tone sits somewhere between the two.

disney.jpg

Photo by Jorge Martínez on Unsplash
European Folklore

The bones of D&D have obvious roots in European myths and legends; we see it in the dwarves, elves, hobbits, and orcs of J.R.R. Tolkien and the fairies, giants, and dragons that are scattered throughout the Monster Manual. Colleen Gillard explains how British fantasy flourished by staying in touch with its pagan roots -- and was even influenced by the landscape:

Landscape matters: Britain’s antique countryside, strewn with moldering castles and cozy farms, lends itself to fairy-tale invention. As Tatar puts it, the British are tuned in to the charm of their pastoral fields...

But D&D has many influences, not the least of which are co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, who brought their own American sensibilities to the game. For a fantasy role-playing game that is distinctly European, look no further than Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, now in its Fourth Edition.

American Influences

American fantasy, like the Europeans, was influenced by its terrain:

America’s mighty vistas, by contrast, are less cozy, less human-scaled, and less haunted. The characters that populate its purple mountain majesties and fruited plains are decidedly real...

But perhaps the strongest difference is a sense of control over one's destiny. This belief, carried over with America's earliest settlers from Europe, reinforced that self-enrichment was a moral right, as outlined by Max Weber:

...Weber wrote that capitalism in Northern Europe evolved when the Protestant (particularly Calvinist) ethic influenced large numbers of people to engage in work in the secular world, developing their own enterprises and engaging in trade and the accumulation of wealth for investment. In other words, the Protestant work ethic was an important force behind the unplanned and uncoordinated emergence of modern capitalism.

No wonder then that Gygax strongly adhered to a leveling system in which heroes can rise to success through the accumulation of wealth at significant risk. This was how heroes like Conan, Fafhrd, and the Gray Mouser did it, and it draws on a long tradition of American folklore:

Popular storytelling in the New World instead tended to celebrate in words and song the larger-than-life exploits of ordinary men and women: Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Calamity Jane, even a mule named Sal on the Erie Canal. Out of bragging contests in logging and mining camps came even greater exaggerations—Tall Tales—about the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan, the twister-riding cowboy Pecos Bill, and that steel-driving man John Henry, who, born a slave, died with a hammer in his hand. All of these characters embodied the American promise: They earned their fame.

Unlike in European fantasy where boys become kings (or in Harry Potter's case, orphans become wizards), characters in D&D aren't usually born heroes; the very nature of leveling systems and experience points ensures they earn it.

A Motley Mix

Adding these two influences together creates Dungeons & Dragons, a rich tapestry of fantasy that draws on the works of European authors and then throws in American sensibilities where the heroes are in control of their destiny -- or at least their skills and attributes.

For all their American influences, D&D heroes are still small in the weave of the world. In early D&D games, they died by the handfuls at the whim of dice, a lesson distinctly at odds with American determinism.

D&D has come full circle to influence the fantasy that created it. You can see its motley pedigree's fingerprints on sweeping fantasies like Game of Thrones. As the fantasy genre continues to flourish and the world becomes more interconnected, it seems likely that we'll see more works that draw on other cultures...D&D included.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

pemerton

Legend
D&D does come across as very American.

But while REH's Conan is quite American, and modernist, I don't think it's correct to say that Conan earns his power through his riches. In many of the stories (eg Tower of the Elephant, Jewels of Gwaihir) he loses the loot because instead he does the right thing.

Conan earns his power by imposing his will on the world. This can even be seen in the most European/Arthurian story, The Hour of the Dragon.

CapnZapp

Legend
In 5th edition WotC decided to make gold worthless for petty design reasons, a decision they're doubling down on with Xanathar's variant "no gold at all" system that will be used by their official tournament rules.

To me, that is losing sight of an essential American quality of the game.

D&D is the classic "from zero to hero" and it isn't wrong because we like to see how our favorite characters are growing.

But I miss more things from the popular European folklore, and I mean not only United Kingdom and Ireland but also Germany, Norse lands, Mediterranean people or European East. There is a great potential source of inspiration to create new creatures, races and stories. The fairytale folklore is a great treasure shouldn't be forgotten.

* And the true origin of the Capitalism wasn't the Protestant countries but Italy for the Renaissance age (but after the discovery of America the centre of the economy was displaced). Max Weber wrote about this, the true roots of the modern Capitalism were the medieval monasteries.

AriochQ

Adventurer
Vance also had a huge impact. A magic system that was inherently limited is different than many of the European stories that came before. Gandalf or Merlyn, for example, rarely seemed limited in the magics they could cast. Another nod to having to 'earn your way' to power and riches inherent in D&D. The original Magic User class is the perfect example of 'start weak, end strong'.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Cool article...we get so used to the game and hobby we forget the assumptions and views underlying the game! It is fun to see the forest for the trees and the misty source of the stream.

Time and again I am blown away by the many influences brought together to make an incredible game. And when I say 'game' it totally minimizes the huge impact it has had on entertainment popular culture and my favorite: my life and the lives of my friends!

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I ran a DnD game not long ago which was based on a fantasy analogue of the American Revolution: distant colonies poorly-administered by an out of touch government, which then tries to assert itself, to disastrous results. I framed it as being exactly that going in, too, and it worked pretty well as a story. It's interesting to me, therefore, that this article is now here, making these observations, which I think are thoughtful and valid.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I think you're missing the impact of the Western on Dungeons and Dragons. I personally think there's a lot of Western influence on the game, and not all of it comes filtered through Robert E Howard's Conan stories (which - IMO at least - are basically Robert E Howard's Western stories but set in a pseudo-historical fantasy world).

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Golarion is Paizo's version of Forgotten Realms, every troope has a place somewhere. Both are fun settings to read as multiple creative minds add to the lore.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases