Katana

Loren Keely

First Post
These responses are amazing I really am grateful for all of you.
[MENTION=12377]77IM[/MENTION] I think the last paragraph where you mentioned its stats change as I level up, was what I was looking for. however with all of the ideas I have a lot to think about.

I have been talking with my DM about the item and he is completely open to suggestions and working with me in order to accomplish my goal.

Any other suggestions would be nice and I will keep you guys updated on what I choose. thanks.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
IME, 'Katana" is always the right answer. That and 'Chuck Norris'.

Just never say both in the same sentence, or all of your limbs will fall off.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Welcome to the board!

Yup, Fighter (Samurai) or Monk (Kensai) is a good way to make this character - although honestly Fighter (battlemaster) would work just as well for a samurai ... and if you want to go further afield (like say, a ronin), a rogue (swashbuckler) could work, or a champion, a samurai with forbiden arcane secrets could be a warlock (hexblade) or a fighter (eldrich knight).... it's a flexible game! :)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My recommendation is to allow your character to grow.

They might start off with an old family heirloom but in their adventures they may find a weapon of great power that they will become known for.

I think D&D is best experienced with random treasure. It makes for interesting character development and decisions during play.

I would suggest that the sword only levels up once certain important honorable goals have been completed. Maybe the sword has a mind of its own, and telepathically lets the wielder know what it wants to do. The DM can then decide which objectives are important enough for the sword to gain new power.

This way you can tie the mechanical side of the sword directly to role playing.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Didn't know the right prefix to put on this, (thats how new I am). I don't even know what homebrew means.

I am starting a new campaign with some friends. He recommended that I look in the Xanathar's guide to everything. I looked and found some interesting paths I could take. I am sure that this topic has been covered before. But it is my understanding that there are no Katanas in the game; having said that, I would like to play a samurai character.

I read in other forums and they said that if you have questions then ask your DM about an issue. I asked if I could try to make a custom heirloom or a masters sword that has been passed down to my character. In stead of searching the world for a better Katana which doesn't exist. I would make a custom one that gets stronger as I level up.

I can write the lore for the item, but where I need your expertise is generating the Stats vs level and what this Katana is capable of.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. thanks.

Look online for dragon magazine issue 292 article “Level up your long sword “. You basically give PC xp to the weapon, putting yourself into it.

Loren Keely

First Post
[MENTION=6801286]Imaculata[/MENTION] This is just what I was thinking. I sent him a breakdown and this was almost exactly the concept I was thinking. Great minds think alike I guess.

I will also look for that Dragon magazine issue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases