Welcome to The Witcher RPG - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Novice (Lvl 1)

While the core mechanic is simple enough to understand, however, there are many minor systems that are weigh the entire game down with complexity. None of them are so complex that theyll stump experienced roleplayers for long, but they raise the barrier to entry high enough that you need to be sure that you and your table can commit some major time and effort before you launch into the game. The Witchers steep learning curve, elaborate monster hunts and gritty fantasy setting have all survived the transition to the tabletop, but an unwieldy ruleset makes it hard to recommend this adaptation to anyone who isnt already a committed fan.
    That was my fear, when they let Pondsmith doing this stuff. While he gets a setting quite right, he is somehow fixated on super-crunchy roleplaying systems.

The days of those are over a long ago, luckily, so that also newbies, people that dont have so much times then when they were young (oh and btw young people back then were also more intelligent. change my mind.), people who dont get a boner on page longe tables and calculations, can enjoy roleplaying games.

That most companies understood this, made it possible that Pen&Paper now is a huge success, more stuff is sold than ever.

Pondsmith seemed to be stuck in some decades ago with his understanding of how roleplaying should be. It is so sad.

The Witcher could have been a mayor competitor to even D&D!

Because many long to play in a more adult, more grim and dark setting.

But it was missed. This thing wouldnt sell. Or maybe in the beginning, with people not reading reviews. But will get dust on it quite soon.

CD Projekt Red missed the change to have some other source of income and fame.

Dont get me wrong - Pondsmith as a consultant is great, nothing would be better for this game.

But I hope they sit down with him and tell him "Try to make the rule system for the new Cyberpunk Pen&Paper for our current times, otherwise we need to get a game designer to help you there"

Novice (Lvl 1)

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Steep learning curve? It's a pretty simple system, the original incarnation of it was like a 20 page book in the Cyberpunk boxed set.
    Yeah but you couldnt play with them alone.

I really was pumped, highly pumped, to play in the World and in Shadow City with my friend and we got all material.

When we looked at the ruleset we said: "Okay . Lets take the setting and use some other system. Thats the best we can do with this rule dinosaur from another decade."
    XP The Fighter-Cricket gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralif Redhammer View Post
    They get better as the series goes on, and I like the distinctly Eastern European philosophizing and governmental cynicism.
    One of my favorite parts about the Witcher World is it seems so real. If there was elves, dwarves, halflings, amid kingdoms of humans in a real medieval setting it's easy to see it playing out like the fictional history of the Witcher.

I've wanted to play an RPG set there for ages.

I'll probably pick this one up even if I can't get my group to play it, but a part of me wishes it had been a 5e OGL Product.

Take TOR for example. By all accounts it's a great game, but getting my group to play Adventures in Middle-Earth was much easier. And judging by the sales numbers I'm not the only one.

I may end up seeing what I can extract and insert in my current game.
    Last edited by BookBarbarian; Thursday, 27th September, 2018 at 05:59 PM.
    XP MNblockhead, Xaelvaen gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by BookBarbarian View Post
    One of my favorite parts about the Witcher World is it seems so real. If there was elves, dwarves, halflings, amid kingdoms of humans in a real medieval setting it's easy to see it playing out like the fictional history of the Witcher.

I've wanted to play an RPG set there in ages.

I'll probably pick this one up even if I can't get my group to play it, but a part of my wishes it had been a 5e OGL Product.

Take TOR for example. By all accounts it's a great game, but getting my group to play Adventures in Middle-Earth was much easier. And judging by the sales numbers I'm not the only one.

I may end up seeing what I can extract and insert in my current game.

If you want background and information on the world you may be better served buying The World of the Witcher: Video Game Compendium. More information and value.
    XP MNblockhead gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Evil View Post
    If you want background and information on the world you may be better served buying The World of the Witcher: Video Game Compendium. More information and value.
    Information probably, but value I'm not so sure. I want to lay my eyes on the Lifepath system and see if that can be extracted to another system. I want to take a look at the various non combat specialized classes and see what goodies they have that I can strip away too. Alchemy and Herb gathering systems to and all sorts of these they have thought about to give myself a head start.

i think it would be a lot less work to adapt those things to use a d20 than to define them myself purely from setting information.

Edit: I should probably get both.
    Last edited by BookBarbarian; Thursday, 27th September, 2018 at 05:56 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

I was initially intrigued by the Witcher RPG, but a visit to the publishers website and then a flick through the book dampened my excitement somewhat.

I get the distinct feeling this hasn't been shown much love. Back when it was released at GenCon there was very limited information on the Publisher's website, and trying to find info on the RPG was not easy.

Then I flick through the book, and it's got a bit of a homebrew feel. The layout looks unprofessional, I feel I could comfortably and quickly recreate it in PowerPoint. It appears to be either been given no resources or a 'f**k it, that'll do approach'. I get the distinct impression that this is very much a periphery project for the developer, a pet project for someone. If it takes off they may support it, but it certainly doesn't look like they're planning for it to.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Engaging in some minor necromancy I just picked up the Witcher RPG yesterday. While its a little more fiddly than I would normally like, its less so than I expected, and less complicated the latest edition of Warhammer Fantasy. Im thinking it just might scratch that same Euro-dark fantasy itch in its place.

The artwork is top-notch, an absolute pleasure to look at.

One thing I appreciate is that they included a note to the effect of in the games & books, all Witchers are male, but if you want to have female Witchers in your game, go for it.

I'm tempted to pick it up just for reading through it, but I've been spending my money on non-fantasy settings.

The one thing that might make this interesting is if you can apply the same amount of customization to your character in the TTRPG as you can in the CRPG. Not only with skill trees but with mutagens. Really don't see much point in playing anything BUT a witcher. My impression is that this seems best suited for a mini-campaign. But not having actually played the game, my impression is not worth much.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

The crafting rules are totally right out of the videogame, too.

My impression is that it would work better as a mini-campaign, too. We did a year-long play of an asymmetrical RPG (The Dresden Files) and after a while it just stopped being fun; I felt like I was just playing the sidekick to the one wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    The one thing that might make this interesting is if you can apply the same amount of customization to your character in the TTRPG as you can in the CRPG. Not only with skill trees but with mutagens. Really don't see much point in playing anything BUT a witcher. My impression is that this seems best suited for a mini-campaign. But not having actually played the game, my impression is not worth much.

Game Masticator
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Pssst: Witcher "Easy Mode" available on Free RPG Day? This might alleviate some of our "crunch" worries.
    https://www.freerpgday.com/
    Modular, open source, free role-playing rules: Modos RPG
    modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com
    Tweets: @MichaelTwtr