RPG Crowdfunding News 112: Arkadia, Blackstar: Death & Decay, Eastern Fantasy Adventures, Ghost Writ

Greece and Japan inspire two of our Kickstarter's for 5th Edition this week, in addition to some dark new material for Shadows of the Demon Lord, a haunting new adventure for Leagues of Adventure, and some cool accessories. Welcome to this week's crowdfunding roundup!

Arkadia: The Mythic Greek Setting for 5e by Arcana Games
(Campaign Ends : Thursday 20th September 2018; 06:59 UTC)

A game of heroic adventure in a world of monsters any myth and inspired by the legends and history of ancient Greece, Arkadia is a new setting for 5th edition.

The art for this new setting looks fantastic and certainly helps bring feel of the game world alive. The core book is a combined Setting and Player’s Handbook which should clock in at just over 150 pages.

The setting details a fully realized Greek world rich with diverse gods, ancient cities and vast wilds filled with crumbling ruins and an all new take on classical monsters.

The Player's Handbook is packed with information for the DM and their players, including everything you need to make characters and adventure in the world of Arkadia.

Races and Subraces: Play as one of the many unique races of Arkadia, like the the phaedran, born of fae blood, who manifest the features of their satyr, siren, harpy or even gorgon lineage.

Class Archetypes: Twelve new class archetypes, one for each class. Play as the Path of the Hero barbarian, based on the myths of Hercules, famed across the land for feats of strength. Be a Sentinel ranger, unsurpassed with a bow, drawing on Artemis and the Amazons of legend, or a College of the Muse bard, inspired by Orpheus and Pan, whose lyre or pipes could charm even a siren, and many more.

Backgrounds: New character backgrounds to tie your character to the setting. Are you an Ithean explorer, whose oared ship seeks the forgotten magics of fallen civilizations? A Cryxian priest, placing coins on the eyes of the dead? Or perhaps you are a dark elf from cursed Nys, the lost kingdom buried in sand and time across the sea.

Feats: Over 20 new character feats such as weapon feats for Greek inspired fighting styles -- battle like a Krytan hoplite cloaked in red with spear and shield, or wield the trident and net of an orc gladiator, spilling blood on the sand of a decadent arena in lavish Illyria. There are also racial feats for each of our Arkadian races, allowing you to become a paragon among mortals. Claim the powers of your bloodline as a Scyllean elf, famed for their gift of prophecy, or as an orc, tap into the giant's blood that once flowed through your ancestors' veins.

Items & Equipment: New tables of bronze age equipment, weapons and heroic armor, custom starting gear and packs, ancient treasure and new currencies.

Monsters & Villains: Dozens of new monsters and villains inspired by classic Greek mythology, like gorgons, minotaur, and hydra as well as the Titan bound dark elves of Nys and enthralled cultists of Psysseria, based on Ancient Egyptians and the Persian Empire.

Gods and Cities: A rich pantheon of Greek inspired gods, tied to the classes, races and cities of the world. Crippled Eberos is father to dwarves pouring molten bronze in his volcanic forge. Oreya is the huntress, she who rules over the wild places, her Amazonian elves protecting those in need. Some, known as warlocks, are bound in service to the Titans, evil gods that encroach at the borders of Arkadia.

Blackstar: Death & Decay Creature Codex by BlackStar RPG
(Campaign Ends : Saturday 15th September 2018; 18:01 UTC)

Death & Decay Creature Codex is the first book is the Blackstar line, for Shadows of the Demon Lord.

BlackStar is a whole new game line based on Shadow of the Demon Lord RPG, originally designed and created by Robert Schwalb. Death & Decay, our first release, will depict and introduce new monsters and develop exciting new ways to add fun and terror to the creatures you already know. It will be an immersive, dark fantasy supplement, that gives players and GMs alike new resources for their gaming sessions.

You will find plenty of undead out there ready to drain your last breath, coming from the Underworld itself or from the haunting darker places scattered through Urth.

The Creature Codex will be a 128 pages book that describes monsters of undeath, creatures of decay and lurking horrors. It presents many classical monsters revisited with new game options that can bring new excitement to your sessions, as well as plenty of new undead monsters of all types.

Following are some of the unique features introduced in Death & Decay:

• Presences: Infested dolls, whispers in the night, echoes of battles, doomed crypts and ghost ships! All of these entities can be found all around Urth. Infestations, apparitions, geists and malevolentes, all can be suppressed or banished forever. The task can be easy or hard, but presences might damn you for life. They can come back with renewed strength to drag you to the grave, corrupt your soul or lure you to the edge of insanity. Destroying them or survive can be the goal of an entire campaign. Death can be the minor evil.

• Spirits: Spirits or incorporeal undead are a simple form of monsters that cannot follow the cycle of life and death on Urth. They nurture the evil in others and feed on the anguish they create in their victims, the sorrow they cause, the evil they plant, all to feed the Demon Lord and unchain him. Spectral beings and ghosts, shadows in the mists or wraiths can appear everywhere, in lost cairns or abandoned tombs, in attics or cellars, in ancient forests or in the crypt of an important church to carry victims with them and bring, as well, survivors to death in a slow agony for the madness they caused. Spirits alter the land they haunt, so be aware that banish a tortured soul from the living world can be the most terrific experience you may have in your entire life.

• Corpses: Animated corpses, zombies, bone constructs, risen and others corporeal beings are the flesh of the hate that the demon lord feel toward the worlds of the livings. This contaminated corpses are risen by his foul cultists to generate waves of destruction, or they rise up by themselves to claim vengeance upon the mortals. Whatever the case, they are unstoppable, and their force can grow more than you can imagine in hordes capable of spread death and burning evil behind them.

• Nightmares: Not sure if they are undead or dead at all, nightmares are the immortal visions of thousand mad minds and foul dreamers. A nightmare created lives in a limbo of nonexistence. However, their corruption and insanity can open the gates, and they will haunt dreams during the night; pervade the mind of anyone corrupted or mad so to overwhelm him by supernatural horrors. That said, be aware that your corrupted soul can strive you more than you have imagined until now.

In addition to Death & Decay the campaign has so far unlocked a host of additional content for the line, including: Secrets of the Grave (adventure anthology), Villain Codex (Evil Foes), Grim Lore (classic monsters), Brightscars (a collection of evil locations), Wicked Cults, Evil Relics and a host of Monster Sheets.

The campaign has some great names attached to it, including SotDL creator Robert J. Schwalb, as well as the likes of Bruce Cordell and Sean K Reynolds.

Eastern Fantasy Adventures for D&D 5e and SotDL (RPG) by Mike Myler
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 19th September 2018; 03:59 UTC)

The Eastern Fantasy Adventures campaign features two hardcover adventures set in the Mists of Akuma campaign setting for both 5th Edition or Shadows of the Demon Lord. Mists of Akuma is an eastern fantasy noir steampunk campaign setting which was originally funded on Kickstarter back in 2016. It has since spawned a number of adventures and supplements, and this campaign is looking to add the Trade War Adventure Path, a collection of six adventures brought together into one book, with connecting chapters to carry the campaign from one module to the next, and the Imperial Matchmaker mega adventure.

TRADE WAR: The adventurers face off against their first great challenges near and within Robai-Shita Temple in Shibai, traveling all over Soburin as the Mubō Brothers seek vengeance for their murdered brethren while fate puts the party onto the trail of nature demons and black torii gates of mysterious purpose. After meddling in the affairs of two of the immortal Imperial Siblings, staving off rebellion in Samon, saving Fuson Prefecture from a reign of terror, and deciding the fate of a secret oni city, the PCs run afoul of the ancient Pale Master's servants in Kizaki! Soon the powerful necromancer's bone keep appears as various armies are mobilized leading to a climactic siege against undead legions followed by a harrowing invasion of Hone-Noroi Keep's nine hellish levels where the party either defeats the Pale Master once and for all or become his thralls!

With 50 maps, over 100 NPCs and monsters, and an already proofed print version, it'll keep your table shoulder-deep in action-packed adventures for months and months of excellent gaming.

IMPERIAL MATCHMAKER: An enmity between the Gekido, Hakaisuru, Kirai, and Namida clans has persisted for ages, the wounds from the Battle of Broken Spears torn open every few years by border skirmishes and trade disputes. Seeking to win the minds of the people by a grand gesture during these dark times, Emperor Hitoshi Masuto has arranged an alliance between the quarreling noble families – 20 brides and grroms have been chosen to wed in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the decisive final battle in the rebellion against more than a century of foreign occupation.

Ghost Writer – a Gothic Horror adventure! By Triple Ace Games Ltd
(Campaign Ends : Tuesday 18th September 2018; 06:57 UTC)

Ghost Writer, is an adventure for Leagues of Adventure or Leagues of Gothic Horror written by award-winning author Walt Ciechanowski. The adventure is 55 pages, black & white interior, and comes in a 6.69” x 9.61” format.

An Angry Ghost Will Be Denied Credit No Longer!

A lost tale from the Bard resurfaces, but it produces not only a play but also a vengeful ghost! The clock is ticking as the intrepid globetrotters try to discover why this apparition haunts and kills those involved. If they don't solve the mystery quickly, then the globetrotters may count themselves amongst the victims!

Objects of Intrigue Card Decks for 5th Edition! Only $12! By Nord Games
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 19th September 2018; 04:00 UTC)

Objects of Intrigue is the latest addition to the Game Master’s Toolbox range of accessories from Nord Games. It consists of four unique card deck, covering Dungeons, Wilderness, Waterways and Undergound. Each card has multiple outcomes which you can choose from, or roll for, and the cards are categorized as good, neutral or bad, for even more versatility.

“Good cards come with some type of reward, such as an item, a buff, or useful information. Neutral cards offer storytelling and roleplaying opportunities such as subtle hints to side quests and other information which may change the course of the party. Bad cards come with some type of detriment or challenge, such as a curse, trap, or monster encounter.”

Each of the decks contains 5 cards and has been designed to be used for 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, but could easily work for most fantasy themed RPGs.

The Ultimate Roleplaying Collection by Gamers for Gamers by Arcania Adventures
(Campaign Ends : Wednesday 19th September 2018; 05:00 UTC)

With sets ranging from $29 to $199 this selection of gamer accessories is relatively affordable to add to your collection. Starting with the Arcania Chest of Holding, at $29, you get the Arcanian wooden chest (9.4” x 5.9” x 4.7”) a felt lined dice tray and three Character booklets (80 pages containing a 5th edition character sheet across the first six pages and dot grid pages throughout the rest of the booklet whih can be used for notes, journals, or mapping the dungeon.

The Arcania Explorer’s Pack, for $59, you get the ornate wooden chest that contains a felt lined dice tray, character booklets, a dice set in a velvet bag and an Explorer’s purse containing 50gp, 10sp, 10cp and 10 gems (all plastic at lower levels; but metal in the higher pledges).

The Arcania Diplomat’s Pack ($99) adds an extra set of set and doubles all of the coins and gems that you get in the Explorer’s Pack. Alternatively, also at $99, you can get the Arcania’s Dungeoneer’s Pack, which gives you a single set of metal dice and also Arcanian forged metal coins (50gp, 10sp, 10cp, plus 10 gems). The metal content is doubled in the $179 Arcania Master’s Pack, whilst the top end, $199 Arcania Thieves’ Reprieve gives you a ton of loot (200gp, 40sp, 40cp, and 50 gems) in addition to the wooden chest, etc.

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps Thanks!

If you have a forthcoming Kickstarter, or see one that excites you, please feel free to drop me an email on angus.abranson@gmail.com You can follow me on Twitter @ Angus_A or on Facebook where I often post about gaming.

Until next week, have fun and happy gaming!

Angus Abranson

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
[MENTION=6802378]LuisCarlos17f[/MENTION] I see that too, but I really wonder how well they all do. I mean, they fund, sometimes with record numbers, but I rarely see much support beyond whatever is included in the Kickstarter. On occasion I see the books make their way to my FLGS (or, more often, the gargantuan F not-so-L GS about an hour and a half away), but there they sit for weeks or months.

It's awesome that so many new games are being published, and it's awesome that Kickstarter enables so many people to make them. The industry is obviously thriving. But small press printing, it seems, is every bit as risky and challenging as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[MENTION=6802378]LuisCarlos17f[/MENTION] I see that too, but I really wonder how well they all do. I mean, they fund, sometimes with record numbers, but I rarely see much support beyond whatever is included in the Kickstarter.

Well, on the whole they wouldn’t exist at all without Kickstarter. So whatever level of support they get, it’s still greater than zero.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Well, on the whole they wouldn’t exist at all without Kickstarter. So whatever level of support they get, it’s still greater than zero.

That is of course 100% true. And Kickstarter is great in that it allows more targeted publishing, in that people who are interested in a product cover (at least some of) the production costs, and there is no need to print X copies of a product and hope at least Y sell since you have buyers from the start.

Realistically, as I mentioned, I think it's a continuation of the perennial small press problem. How do you get your product in front of people? How do you make it profitable enough to keep going? And Kickstarter (which I am using here as a stand-in for crowdfunding in general) alleviates a lot of that pressure.

You would absolutely have a better perpective than me, Morrus. You've been running a small press organization for years, and I mostly just spend money on Kickstarter. Your experience far outweighs any speculation I may have.

ddaley

Explorer
I would love to back Arkadia... and I might still. But, with one our kids going off to college, we lost one of our players and are now learning to limit our budget :(

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Getting books available to people and getting them into game stores are very different things. In order to get books into FLGSs you don't just need the book and many copies of it (an offset print run that is not cheap), you need to convince the major distributors that FLGS order from to carry it. Trying to operate in FLGSs outside of that paradigm is virtually impossible because of margins, mark-up, and shipping costs (for example my FLGS gets free shipping on his regular orders in excess of $300). To that end getting a distributor to carry your book(s) can also be very tricky.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases