WOIN Writing house rules for N.E.W. ship combat, need advice

m1017242

First Post
I am new to this system, in fact no one has ever mention this within a 200 km perimeter of me.
After a read, I like the system and the fact that it feels like real life where you change career and stuff (and also no magic, I hate magic in any settings that is not swords and magic).
So I decided to introduce this to a few of my friends, who are interested or experienced in GMing, but as a wargamer, I found the ship combat rules not quite up to my taste.
Hence I started to draft a set of house rules out of the four sets of space naval wargame rules that I have and this is what I have came up with thus far.
Please comment on it so that I can further improve on it.

Starship Weapons Custom
When designing a ship facing of the weapons should be clearly stated, unless in turret mount, each weapon bank/ mount can only fire into one arc of the ship.

Each bank/ turret/ mount is counted as one unit for the purpose of critical damage table.

TurretsÂ’ arc of fire is reduced to 270 degrees as a result of protruding superstructures on the ship, the -1d6 to hit is removed, but the hit modifiers when firing into forward and aft applies when firing into those arcs.

Weapons of the same profile/ name can be grouped into one central fire control system in additional to independent localised control, this implies an additional 50% cost and CPU just as banking the weapons, however, this is disabled when suffered from a Bridge Hit critical.

Starship Combat Criticals
Upon inflicting a critical hit (three 6s), roll 2d6 and consult the following table.

2 System shutdown: the command and control system suffer critical damage by the hit, reduce one randomly selected C&C system’s CPU to 0, can be repaired as written in core rules
3 Engine damaged: the engine suffered critical damage from the incoming fire, one randomly selected engine is marked as damage, deduct the damaged engine’s power from the ship’s power, damaged engine upon receiving second damage mark the engine is destroyed
4 FTL drive malfunction: the hit has disrupted the delicate components of the FTL drive, one randomly selected FTL engine is marked as damage, deduct the damaged FTL engine’s power from the ship’s power, damaged FTL engine upon receiving second damage mark the engine is destroyed
5 Weapon damaged: the hit has disabled a weapon bank/ turret/ mount, one randomly selected weapon bank/ turret/ mount is marked as damage, it cannot be fired until it is repaired, damaged weapon bank/ turret/ mount upon receiving second damage mark the engine is destroyed
6 Hull breach: the incoming fire has punctured the hull, causing additional superstructure damage, the hit deals an additional 1d3 superstructure damage that cannot be SOAKed
7 Fire: the hit has started a fire somewhere on the ship, all checks and attacks suffer -1d6 penalty and if the fire is not put out by the end of the next turn with a challenging (13) engineering check, the ship suffer an additional 1 superstructure damage
8 System damaged: the impact of the hit has damaged some of the circuit of the onboard computers, the hit deals an additional 1d3 damage CPU damage that cannot be SOAKed
9 Facility damaged: the hit has damaged an onboard facility, one randomly selected facility is damaged, deduct its luxury value from the shipÂ’s luxury until the next dock
10 Bridge hit: the bridge suffer a direct hit, all checks and attacks suffer -1d6 until next dock
11 Shield collapse: the hit has disabled the ship’s shield generator, one randomly selected shield generator is destroyed until the next dock, deduct its power from the ship’s shield and adjust the SOAK accordingly
12 Reactor meltdown: the hit has destabilised the reactor, if the ship’s crew cannot pass a difficult (16) engineering check within a quick countdown, the ship will explode after the next quick countdown

Damaged modules can be repaired with a successful challenging (13) engineering check unless stated otherwise.

Remove ads