D&D 3E/3.5 Bat’leth in 3.5 dnd?

A melee weapon not only has to be hard, but also enough light for a faster fight. Try fight with toy weapons by plastic and you will notice the bat'leth is horrible

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
A melee weapon not only has to be hard, but also enough light for a faster fight. Try fight with toy weapons by plastic and you will notice the bat'leth is horrible

1d6/1d6 P/S damage.

-4 attack roll
-2 AC

Reason: Probably the dumbest fantasy weapon ever imagined.

Look if we are going to examine 3.5 Weapons based on effectiveness, I have a lot more to complain about than the bat'leth (which is admittedly a terrible weapon, though the mek'leth is not so bad) but that's not what the OP asked.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
People keep downing the batl'eth, but it is a really versatile weapon. It can slash, pierce, and bludgeon. It is good for trip attacks and parrying. It can be used one-handed or two-handed. I do not see a downside for a trained user.

jasper

Rotten DM
People keep downing the batl'eth, but it is a really versatile weapon. It can slash, pierce, and bludgeon. It is good for trip attacks and parrying. It can be used one-handed or two-handed. I do not see a downside for a trained user.
Why yes it can. In the hands of an actor who knows his contract is for two years. It looks silly. But it must be super uber because Wolf um Worg, the knobbing headed guy who couldn't handle his mall cop job on the Enterprise has one.
I seen a lot of silly weapons from tv and movies turn billy bad Beep because they looked cool and the fans wanted them to be the bestest weapon in the game.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Saw a replica in a fantasy/game shop and had a chance to handle it.

The hand grips were a bit thin on that particular one, so it could easily twist in your grip and not always hit edge first.

Fix that, though, and yeah, it's entirely practical. It's essentially an axe though, as in, it's a chopping weapon with a two handed grip, with the hands spaced at about shoulder width.

I compare it to an axe because, even though it's called a "Klingon sword", you can't actually slice an opponent with it. And, while it's got a lot of pointy places, the actual points have so little depth to them they'd have less penetration than a good dagger.

So it's decent for a great-weapon fighter, and includes the options for some combat maneuvers (Trip is feasible, Disarm not so much, off-handed attack possible), but in the end I'd call it an Exotic Great Axe and leave it at that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases