All that streaming

so,DC Universe just launched. DC Universe is basically a streaming service that in the end will carry all things DC that aren't currently under contract elsewhere, it currently has all of the DCAU, the DC animated movies, Batman movies and all of the Christopher Reeves superman movies among other goodies, like digital versions of the comics. All that for USD 7.99 not sure about international streaming.

Soon Disney is going to be launching their own streaming service (the last marvel movie to hit netflix will be Ant-man and Wasp I believe and they are currently in talks with Turner to get back the tv rights for Star Wars).

With this knowledge my wallet has cried out in pain and suffering lol.

I currently am subscribed to Amazon prime (student payment thank god) and Netflix's cheapest plan. I have no interest in CBS' All Acess and the same with Hulu. And once my time with Amazon prime is over, I won't be renewing it,since there's only one show I like and I can watch that in other ways.

So, which services are you subbed to and which do you plan to pick up if any?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Most of those (Hulu, CBS, etc.) aren't available here. It all ends up in Netflix over here.

We have SkyQ though, and the BBC iPlayer is free.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Just netflix & prime.
I don't really consider myself subscribed to prime as a video service though. I had, & still have, it because of the shipping (wich even with the price increase has paid for itself +). The streaming content is just a bonus feature for me.

The only reason I'd consider the DC service would be if Arrow, Flash etc were all relocated there vs being able to watch the seasons either on Netflix or the CW site.

Same with Disney.
If netflix lost Daredevil etc....
The SW/Marvel movies moving wouldn't sway me though. At least not until dvd/BR isn't a thing anymore. I see them in the theatre & if I really like it a few months later I add it to the shelf....

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've got Netflix and Prime, but Prime was gotten for (and pays for itself with) free shipping - if it was just for the video I wouldn't have it.

The fragmentation of the streaming services is based on the idea that people are willing to spend (near-) Netflix level monthly subscriptions on "one more service". To the people pitching them it's a long term income stream.

The problem is that as there gets to be more and more, each with a limite amount that viewers want, that's not going to be the most widespread case. Amazon's Anime Strike! already hit into that and folded. Netflix, with the wide catalog of different things on it that it could fit all of your needs, can be worth Netflix prices. Something like CBS All Access, where their catalog is shows you either already watched, or didn't bother to watch when they are free, doesn't have that appeal. Especially when popular shows of their may not be available due to other licensing deals. (I think they said their are a total of 12 episodes of Big Bang Theory available out of 11 seasons of shows. Just as an example of how shows you'd expect may not be there.)

So if the services (possibly including Netflix as they lose content) want the volume of subscribers, they will need to charge less. Find the equilibrium where they maximize profits - if they don't have to pay per-watch or per-viewer licensing fees, more viewers will be more profitable overall then fewer viewers with a higher cost.

So we'll see where this ends up. I think that the plethora of new streaming are all trying to jump on the bandwagon and in two years the environment will be very different, with some failing and many with competitive pricing as an "add on" service vs. the "everything" service that Netflix and the other big ones command currently.

Just Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the free version of Hulu at our place. There’s also Tubi, another free one, that I’ve been playing around with a little. Once a year, when the new season of Outlander comes out, my wife pays for the Starz sub-subscription for Hulu and binges that, then unsubscribes.

I keep idly considering ZOE’s Fantasy Network. It’s only $5 a month, but nickels and dimes add up.

I don't order enough for the shipping to be a factor for me with Prime, the only reason why I am subed is because it only cost me about 7 dollars and I like The Man In the High Castle, also nickelodeon just launched Nicksplat which has all of their stuff from the 90s with VRM, but they give a choice with VRM package it's 10$ vs without for 6$.

Mallus

Legend
Currently, we've got Netflix & Prime.

Before Prime we had Hulu, until they dropped the Criterion Collection. At some point we'll probably try Filmstruck for a while -- it's where the Criterion Collection wound up.

When Discovery's back, I'll grimace, bear it, and then re-sub to CBS All Access for the length of its 2nd season run.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Currently I have Netflix and Hulu. Due to a misclick, my wife ended up with Amazon Prime for a year - we are using it to rewatch B5, but are unlikely to re-up on that.

I have Prime Account and Netflix. Tempted by Disney, as I’m a parent. That’s a no brainer service if it even has a third of their back catalogue.
DC has no appeal to me. Doesn’t sound like there’s remotely enough. And Titans looks godawful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases