D&D 5E Enhancing "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist"

Hussar

Legend
Would that be one of those Festhalls with the red lamps out front?...

I don't know if my players are going to go all in on chapter 2, but I did inform them to be thinking in their backstory about a reason that each of their characters want to make a name for themselves or become established in the city, so they're primed for it. :)

Oh yeah. To the point where they actually did a bit of research to find out the status of such establishments in Waterdeep. Surprisingly open minded is about how I would characterize it. And the fact that festhalls are not guilded makes them extra appealing.

collin

Explorer
I dunno. My players have really glommed onto the manor. It's really focused their interest. And the notion that they have to gather up some cash to make a home really appeals to them. And, when it comes time to do Mad Mage, well, they are going to need somewhere to rest between adventures no? Sure, it's not the center of the campaign. It's not supposed to be.
:D

Precisely! If the characters don't already have a home (parent's house?) or apartment in Waterdeep, they need a place to gather and rest. At least with Trollskull Manor, it is basically deeded to them for 'free', so despite it being a dump, it is a rent-free place they can hang their armor for awhile between escapades.

Hussar

Legend
Speaking of Trollskull, I did not create this map - it was created by a user on the Facebook Waterdeep DM's page, but, wow, now here's something neat if you want to run stuff around Trollskull alley:

Attachments

• Trollskull alley interiors.jpg
    Trollskull alley interiors.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 1,051

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I am really intrigued by Robus' remix of Dragon Heist. I'm a new DM (and a first time poster).

ROBUS, have you fleshed out these ideas at all or thought of any plot holes that might need attention. Just curious before I start my planning. Thanks, Krudler.

I was just updating the index post for this thread and stumbled across this. Sorry I missed it Krudler, in future if you want to get someone's attention you put an "@" before their username, like this: @robus :)

The good? news is I haven't done any more thinking about this adventure since my last post. I don't know what holes are there, but I will say that the only way to keep your sanity when running this adventure is to have your own very strong vision of the story. Who is the villain, what is their objective, and how do you want it to finish. The adventure, as written, is a confusing mess. A weak beginning, a muddled middle and a wtf ending :)

Use it as a campaign setting book and develop your adventure. The encounter building guidelines in Xanathar's Guide to Everything are super helpful for new DMs.

Good luck if you've embarked on the adventure! It's actually easier to run adventures you create yourself, because you are the authority, no need to thumb through a book to double check whether you're going off course.

For me, I think I bought my last WotC adventure. Fool me six times, won't get fooled again...

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases