Big Fantasy Adventure in a Tiny Dungeon

Everything goes through cycles of being large to small to large again, like cellphones. So after a long trend of “megadungeons” Tiny Dungeon 2E is a refreshing change of pace.

The “tiny” is less about size than simplicity, and it's a full game system, not just a setting. In fact, it comes with 20 micro settings that can be fleshed out as much as you want, making Tiny Dungeons more versatile than the average RPG.

Designed by Alan Bahr with some additional rules by Gregory Israel and Jonathan Thompson, Tiny Dungeons 2E uses the TinyD6 system. Gallant Knight Games' TinyD6 also powers Tiny Frontiers (science fiction), Tiny Dungeons 2E: Hatchling Edition (a child friendly RPG), Tiny Frontiers: Mecha and Monsters, Tiny Wastelands (post-apocalyptic), the variety of other settings in GKG's TinyZine, and coming Tiny Supers, so there is an option for virtually any genre.

It would be easy to lump Tiny Dungeon into the pile of Dungeons & Dragons-inspired RPGs, and the feel of it is there. Yet it would be a huge mistake to view Tiny Dungeon by such a narrow window. It's more than a stripped down retroclone and the microsettings have a great deal of variety, some downright inspired.

TinyD6 – unsurprisingly – uses a 2d6 for its core mechanic, which can switch up to 3d6 with advantage or 1d6 with disadvantage. As a classless system, it uses Traits to customize characters, and I smiled at the humorous flavor text for each. The Alchemist trait is paired with “Dragon's blod has many uses. It's also great on salads” and the Beastspeaker trait is characterized by “What is it, boy? The king fell down a well?!” Combined with the art style, it lends a light-heartedness as you learn the system.

While the TinyD6 system is simple, it's far from basic. Yes, it has the prerequisite human, Dwarf and Elf (called “Fey” here) heritages, but also includes Goblins, Lizardfolk, Treefolk and two original heritages – Salimar, a dignified, short, tailed race healed by fire who have an interest in the merchant trade, and Karhu, intelligent bears with calm temperaments until provoked.

In addition to the microsettings, Tiny Dungeons 2E comes with a simple and effective adventure generator. It could easily be borrowed for any fantasy campaign.

The microsettings really help to distinguish Tiny Dungeons 2E from other fantasy games. “Home Sweet Dungeon” by Marie Brennan reverses the typical dungeon game by having you play a “monstrous” species defending your home. The setting fluff is especially evocative.

“Raptorland” by Elizabeth Chaipraditkul is created after the Calamity strikes a dinosaur paradise, infesting it with humans, dwarves, etc. Velociraptors lead dino-kind to a realm safe from “skinmen.” If a skinman passes through the gates, they're cursed so that the longer they stay, the more they become like the inhabitants. How many fantasy games let you become the dinosaur?

“Courtesy of Goblins” by Melanie R. Meadors turns the typical goblin adventure on its head for the most put-upon of fantasy species. “The Wuxia Warriors of Wing” by Ben Worner brings Asian adventure. “Neverwonderoz” by Randy Taylor mashes together Wonderland, Neverland and Oz. “Skies Over Rocet” by Steve Radabaugh features magical airships and piracy. Sandra Taylor's “Stories That Bind” plays with story tropes as you are a magical creature trying to bend human belief to shift your story and accomplish your goal. “Streets of Fey” by Howard Taylor is an urban fantasy setting with an interesting bloodline aspect. Wen Reischl's “The Final Wardens” can be its own setting or overlaid another one, giving players another chance when all seems lost.

Even if light rule systems aren't your thing, Tiny Dungeon 2E is worth a look. It has so many interesting ideas in both the streamlined rules and microsettings that could be mined for a homebrew campaign.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's Columnist (ENWC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Baumi

Adventurer
Yes, there is even a Children Version of it out:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/238735/Tiny-Dungeon-Hatchling-Edition?src=hottest_filtered

What I really like is that Characters don't have any stats, jet still have their own niche and abilities. You just pick your Heritage, your 3 Traits (a bit like Feats, that show what you can do like get Advantage on Stealth or have a Familiar) and which kind of Weapons you have Mastered (light, heavy or ranged) and you are ready to go.

The only thing I would have like differently is if they have focused on only one or two Settings in stead of 20, but have it fleshed out and maybe included a Adventure or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

What age range is the Hatchling Edition aimed at? My son loves RPGs but he's only 7 and we tried "No Thank You, Evil!" which is fun but still requires a parent to coordinate...I'm hoping there's a set out there which is aimed at younger readers so they can also enjoy the game without the lurking parent.

(Don't get me wrong, I like gaming with my son for family events but if Dad is supervising then I can just as easily run Cypher System or something which he can learn through play just as easily. A kid-friendly RPG would, I hope, be something a kid can read. My son regularly learns board games and teaches his friends, so hoping something like that exists. I got in to Basic Otus Cover D&D at age 10 and that was about age appropriate as I recall, as an example.)

GKG_Alan

Villager
What age range is the Hatchling Edition aimed at? My son loves RPGs but he's only 7 and we tried "No Thank You, Evil!" which is fun but still requires a parent to coordinate...I'm hoping there's a set out there which is aimed at younger readers so they can also enjoy the game without the lurking parent.

(Don't get me wrong, I like gaming with my son for family events but if Dad is supervising then I can just as easily run Cypher System or something which he can learn through play just as easily. A kid-friendly RPG would, I hope, be something a kid can read. My son regularly learns board games and teaches his friends, so hoping something like that exists. I got in to Basic Otus Cover D&D at age 10 and that was about age appropriate as I recall, as an example.)

Hey! Hatchling Edition is perfect for him then! He might need some help with terminology (we tried hard, and had kids proof read it! But it's always a sliding scale).

Reynard

Legend
::casts Raise Thread::

Is Tiny Dungeons actually good for dungeon adventures. I am looking for a game to expedite and simplify the dungeon crawl experience while maintaining the fun. Is Tiny Dungeons 2E that game?

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases