5E Mythological Figures: Queen Boudica (5E) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren View Post
    Yet why should you adhere to D&D murderhobo prevention when statting mythological (more or less) figures?
    Because some GMs are still worried that players will want kill them for XP. I'm not defending the practice, just letting you know where it comes from. Every gaming table is different.

    At my table, there are plenty of rules and mythological figures who suck at combat. My current group is very cool so I don't need other consequences to keep them in line, nevermind the old, "every inn keeper is a retired high-level adventurer who takes no gruff from murderhobos."
    Laugh Mike Myler laughed with this post

  2. #12
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren View Post
    Yet why should you adhere to D&D murderhobo prevention when statting mythological (more or less) figures?
    Are you positing that she's less accessible to a wider range of GMs because she's CR 6/11th level? I'm pretty certain her maximum utility as a collection of mechanics is within the design sweet spot. As is she'd still take a whooping from Mulan/Joan of Arc/La Maupin so it feels like the scaling within Mythological Figures​ doesn't lose consistency either.

  3. #13
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Derren View Post
    What exactly does it take to be named a Mythological Figure anyway?
    Boudica didn't really do anything of note except slaughtering civilians in undefended cities and then failing miserably when meeting a real army. Does this really warrant making her lvl 11? It doesn't even sound like she participated in battles.
    That seems a little harsh. She inspired more than 200,000 to rebel against an unfair landgrab by the Romans and wreak vengeance for their occupation. Your average commoner wouldn't be able to do that. Now, whether she was an able combatant might be up for debate, but there's no question that she was an inspirational historical figure whose legend has lasted through the ages.
    Laugh Mike Myler laughed with this post

  4. #14
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    893
    On the phone app picking the "Thanks" button comes up as a "Laugh" post reaction on a PC browser. So to anyone who's like "what a sod" my apologies, I'm meaning to thank you, honest.
    Laugh Grognerd, Schmoe laughed with this post

  5. #15
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Myler View Post
    On the phone app picking the "Thanks" button comes up as a "Laugh" post reaction on a PC browser. So to anyone who's like "what a sod" my apologies, I'm meaning to thank you, honest.
    I lol'ed

  6. #16
    Member
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Xethreau's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    537
    In terms of liberation theology and decolonizing theology, she would in fact be Lawful Good!
    XP Mike Myler gave XP for this post

  7. #17
    Member
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    72
    The trouble with choosing ancient historical figures is that what you make up likely will have little or nothing to do with history. Boudicca wasn't a fighter, she was a symbol of her people's disgust with the Romans. How much she was the political leader isn't known, as we know next to nothing about the whole affair, aside from what Tacitus says. (E.g. Cassius Dio wrote about a century after the rebellion.)

    Not as bad as the "historical" industry surrounding "King Arthur", who likely never existed.

    So make up whatever you like. Some so-called "historians" do the same.
    XP Mike Myler gave XP for this post

  8. #18
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    3,963
    I'm having a hard time seeing how those stats reflect the real Boudicca. I'm thinking more along the lines of a high level CHA- rogue with expertise in Oratory, Persuasion. Maybe a few levels of Paladin (Crown) too.

    But you know what? That's irrelevant. This Boudicca would be an interesting NPC for the players to encounter and that trumps everything.
    XP Mike Myler gave XP for this post

  9. #19
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by lewpuls View Post
    The trouble with choosing ancient historical figures is that what you make up likely will have little or nothing to do with history. Boudicca wasn't a fighter, she was a symbol of her people's disgust with the Romans. How much she was the political leader isn't known, as we know next to nothing about the whole affair, aside from what Tacitus says. (E.g. Cassius Dio wrote about a century after the rebellion.)

    Not as bad as the "historical" industry surrounding "King Arthur", who likely never existed.

    So make up whatever you like. Some so-called "historians" do the same.
    King Arthur and Merlin.

  10. #20
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I'm having a hard time seeing how those stats reflect the real Boudicca. I'm thinking more along the lines of a high level CHA- rogue with expertise in Oratory, Persuasion. Maybe a few levels of Paladin (Crown) too.

    But you know what? That's irrelevant. This Boudicca would be an interesting NPC for the players to encounter and that trumps everything.
    I dunno if it trumps *everything* but it's important. There are plenty of canned NPC statblocks available that would work fine depending on how Boudica is involved.

Similar Threads

  1. Mythological Figures: Gilgamesh (5E)
    By Mike Myler in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Monday, 17th December, 2018, 07:18 PM
  2. Mythological Figures: Perseus (5E)
    By Mike Myler in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Thursday, 16th August, 2018, 03:48 PM
  3. Mythological Figures: Sun Wukong (5E)
    By Mike Myler in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Wednesday, 27th June, 2018, 01:33 AM
  4. Mythological Figures: Daedelus (5E)
    By Mike Myler in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Monday, 7th May, 2018, 09:44 PM
  5. Mythological Figures: Achilles (5E)
    By Mike Myler in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Wednesday, 25th April, 2018, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •