Wizards wanted to fire us, so can we fire them for setting laziness

Do not want to start a political argument. Just a laughing pass at the "your fired" comment by a game designer that made huge assumptions about a very large portion of his customer base.

Well I want to fire Wizards in return. Not for political reasons or any other stupid social cause junk. My reason is quite simple.

I want to fire specifically the design team for giving us FIVE EDITIONS of DnD and still not being able to get away from the FR which to be honest are the most "lets cover every possible stereotype" bland meaningless default setting of any RPG.

Seriously, out of all the supplements released for 5E only one of them was not FR based. The second one that could have been the Elemental Evil book which was initially from Greyhawk was instead pointlessly shoehorned into FR.

Seriously if 6E comes out in a couple years and FR is still the default setting then I am done, I am moving to PF2 or any number of other options. Very tired of the Misbegotten Realms and campaign books set in them.

(And yes I know we can fire them at any time by not buying their product, this conversation is about why Wizards cannot get away from FR and keeps running back to it)

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
(And yes I know we can fire them at any time by not buying their product, this conversation is about why Wizards cannot get away from FR and keeps running back to it)

I expect record sales numbers vs. a fractured player base that led to progressively diminishing returns has a lot to do with it.

So fire them if you want. I doubt they'll notice. And given the volume of quality alternatives to WotC branded books on the market, I don't even understand why it's even an issue.

Tallifer

Hero
Did someone burn all your copies of Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Oriental Adventures, Dragonlance, Eberron, Planescape and Spelljammer? If they did, you can still get them cheaply at the DMs Guild site and use them easily in 5E.

I expect record sales numbers vs. a fractured player base that led to progressively diminishing returns has a lot to do with it.

So fire them if you want. I doubt they'll notice. And given the volume of quality alternatives to WotC branded books on the market, I don't even understand why it's even an issue.

Are you suggesting that WOTC cannot create a financially successful product without leaning heavy on nostalgia and tugging at the heart strings of uber fans?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But, he didn’t make any assumptions about a huge part of the player base. He spoke on people who used complexity as a gatekeeping tool, and how in his experience they overlap with the people in the hobby that have a problem with female gamers.

Its weird to say that you don’t want a political discussion in the OP of a thread based on a political discussion, in which you’re dismissively misrepresenting a “social cause” based tweet from a game designer.

Did someone burn all your copies of Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Oriental Adventures, Dragonlance, Eberron, Planescape and Spelljammer? If they did, you can still get them cheaply at the DMs Guild site and use them easily in 5E.

The same can be said for FR which has more pre 5E material than all of those settings combined. So why do we need more?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
... and still not being able to get away from the FR which to be honest are the most "lets cover every possible stereotype" bland meaningless default setting of any RPG....

I think they stuck with the FR because of its genericness, it allows the other large percentage of groups (homebrewers) to easily use any material/adventures.

I will never "fire" them, cause like Mikey, I'll eat it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is pretty old news, and related to a comment by a designer about sexism in the community. Let’s not regurgitate that yet again; it’s in a enough threads.

re. The FR — sure, valid discussion, if old. There’s also Ravenloft, and soon Ravnica, plus Eberron for DMsG publishers. I think it’s time to accept that from a consolidation of multiple brands into one strong brand POV, FR is D&D now. There’s no FR logo any more, just a D&D logo.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I think you are misinterpreting the "fired" comment. He was just saying "Anybody who thinks it's your job to maintain an aura of eliteness by keeping out the 'unworthies'...please go away."

He was also observing that there was a high correlation between that crowd and people who enjoy system complexity, probably because system complexity makes a nice barrier to entry for people who want to imagine they are part of an elite crowd.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are interpreting it as, "People who like system complexity, please go find another game."

EDIT: Overlapped with @Morrus. I'll refrain from further commentary on that aspect.

Remove ads