Wizards wanted to fire us, so can we fire them for setting laziness

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Do not want to start a political argument.
You’ve got a funny way of showing it, considering your very next sentence -
Just a laughing pass at the "your fired" comment by a game designer that made huge assumptions about a very large portion of his customer base.
Is highly politically charged. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this thread was flame bait.

And I don’t.

This thread is flame bait, is what I’m saying.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
2il111.jpg

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I'm a bit annoyed that the new format makes i harder to block people. It would be handy to block people that start threads like these with 2 clicks rather than about 10.

re. The FR — sure, valid discussion, if old; I think it’s time to accept that from a consolidation of multiple brands into one strong brand POV, FR is D&D now. There’s no FR logo any more, just a D&D logo.

So you feel that Eberron was too different from standard DnD to remain the default setting or did 4E do too much harm to the setting?

To me FR is both very generic and filled with way too much of two things. The first is just plain crap with all the very bad history used to explain and justify the various edition changes. The second is all the designer and writer Mary Sue's running around in the setting.

Give me a 6E that has a whole new world I can discover and learn about instead of more books that rewrite the same old history of the Realms for the next edition of rules.

Oofta

Legend
FR is far from my favorite, but I understand why they use it. Its generic (and bland) enough that it's easy to adapt modules to my home campaign.

They're coming out with Eberron as well as Ravnica soon. They've introduced Barovia and have teased Spelljammer.

Other campaign world's would be easy to adopt from old material if I wanted. It's plenty.

S'mon

Legend
But, he didn’t make any assumptions about a huge part of the player base. He spoke on people who used complexity as a gatekeeping tool, and how in his experience they overlap with the people in the hobby that have a problem with female gamers.

Complexity as Gatekeeping - clearly he was having a dig at Paizo. :p

As for Forgotten Realms, I think parts of it do have a distinct 'Canadian Wilderness' frontier feel that is quite distinct from Greyhawk, and I rather like it. Some of the post-Grey Box real world cultural additions feel very bland, but I think the original concept stands up well vs most generic fantasy worlds. Overall it's as good a place as any for WoTC's default setting. I like how it is mostly city states not kingdoms, since powerful nations are not logically a good fit for wilderness adventure & dungeon crawling.

I do think they stuck too many Save The World Epics into the Sword Coast region early in 5e's life cycle.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is pretty old news, and related to a comment by a designer about sexism in the community. Let’s not regurgitate that yet again; it’s in a enough threads.

re. The FR — sure, valid discussion, if old; I think it’s time to accept that from a consolidation of multiple brands into one strong brand POV, FR is D&D now. There’s no FR logo any more, just a D&D logo.

I mean, we’re getting at least two new settings with official support this year, so probably not so much.

But the main main setting will remain FR, because it is vaguely traditional fantasy, covers a lot of bases, and has a high level of recognition. I wish they’d at least venture further away from the Sword Coast, but hey, I don’t need special rules to play in Rashemen. A Hathran subclass would be rad, but I don’t need it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases