Wizards wanted to fire us, so can we fire them for setting laziness - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRabbit View Post
    Do not want to start a political argument.
    If that's your goal, this is a hell of a way to start a thread.
    XP doctorbadwolf, BookBarbarian gave XP for this post
    Laugh Parmandur laughed with this post

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Do not want to start a political argument.
    Youve got a funny way of showing it, considering your very next sentence -
    Just a laughing pass at the "your fired" comment by a game designer that made huge assumptions about a very large portion of his customer base.
    Is highly politically charged. If I didnt know any better, Id say this thread was flame bait.

And I dont.

This thread is flame bait, is what Im saying.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Last edited by Mistwell; Monday, 24th September, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
    XP Ratskinner gave XP for this post
    Laugh cbwjm, Jacob Lewis, MNblockhead, doctorbadwolf, fobia and 10 others laughed with this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I'm a bit annoyed that the new format makes i harder to block people. It would be handy to block people that start threads like these with 2 clicks rather than about 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post

re. The FR sure, valid discussion, if old; I think its time to accept that from a consolidation of multiple brands into one strong brand POV, FR is D&D now. Theres no FR logo any more, just a D&D logo.
    So you feel that Eberron was too different from standard DnD to remain the default setting or did 4E do too much harm to the setting?

To me FR is both very generic and filled with way too much of two things. The first is just plain crap with all the very bad history used to explain and justify the various edition changes. The second is all the designer and writer Mary Sue's running around in the setting.

Give me a 6E that has a whole new world I can discover and learn about instead of more books that rewrite the same old history of the Realms for the next edition of rules.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Good riddance. No one cares.

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

FR is far from my favorite, but I understand why they use it. Its generic (and bland) enough that it's easy to adapt modules to my home campaign.

They're coming out with Eberron as well as Ravnica soon. They've introduced Barovia and have teased Spelljammer.

Other campaign world's would be easy to adopt from old material if I wanted. It's plenty.
    XP Xaelvaen, MNblockhead, SkidAce gave XP for this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by doctorbadwolf View Post
    But, he didnt make any assumptions about a huge part of the player base. He spoke on people who used complexity as a gatekeeping tool, and how in his experience they overlap with the people in the hobby that have a problem with female gamers.
    Complexity as Gatekeeping - clearly he was having a dig at Paizo.

As for Forgotten Realms, I think parts of it do have a distinct 'Canadian Wilderness' frontier feel that is quite distinct from Greyhawk, and I rather like it. Some of the post-Grey Box real world cultural additions feel very bland, but I think the original concept stands up well vs most generic fantasy worlds. Overall it's as good a place as any for WoTC's default setting. I like how it is mostly city states not kingdoms, since powerful nations are not logically a good fit for wilderness adventure & dungeon crawling.

I do think they stuck too many Save The World Epics into the Sword Coast region early in 5e's life cycle.
    XP doctorbadwolf, Satyrn gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    This is pretty old news, and related to a comment by a designer about sexism in the community. Lets not regurgitate that yet again; its in a enough threads.

re. The FR sure, valid discussion, if old; I think its time to accept that from a consolidation of multiple brands into one strong brand POV, FR is D&D now. Theres no FR logo any more, just a D&D logo.
    I mean, were getting at least two new settings with official support this year, so probably not so much.

But the main main setting will remain FR, because it is vaguely traditional fantasy, covers a lot of bases, and has a high level of recognition. I wish theyd at least venture further away from the Sword Coast, but hey, I dont need special rules to play in Rashemen. A Hathran subclass would be rad, but I dont need it.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

So you feel that Eberron was too different from standard DnD to remain the default setting or did 4E do too much harm to the setting?
    ? Eberron has never been the default setting.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post
    Laugh MoonSong laughed with this post