DDAL Proof that PHB +1 is a completely unneeded rule
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Proof that PHB +1 is a completely unneeded rule

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm...ipantID=321449

For over a grand you can get a certificate that allows PHB +2.

If he raises $500,000 Season 9 will be PHB +2 for everyone! Just for Season 9.

Guess what thu, if that is not going to break the game, then that means they know PHB +1 is completely unneeded and unwarranted, because they wouldn't make this offer if it was going to cause problems.

don't get me wrong raising money for charity is good and I hope he raises $500,000 either way, but the rule should be PHB +2 period, either way because if the rule isn't needed, that you can discard it without problems or concerns, means it's only exists to punish those of us who buy more then one product with player options. This makes no sense.

Again I hope he succeeds in raising the money, but it's time this bad rule goes, either way.
    XP MNblockhead, GMforPowergamers gave XP for this post
    Laugh Saelorn, doctorbadwolf, Staccat0, Xaelvaen laughed with this post

I don't play Adventurer's League, but the PHB +1 rule does make it a bit easier on DMs that may not have all the books. Or that don't want to flip through three different books trying to find something on a character sheet that the player can't remember what it does or where they found it.

I really doubt Wizards designed a rule to "punish" people that buy their books. It might not be a great rule, but I really, seriously don't think that's why they implemented it.
    XP pukunui, Shiroiken, the Jester, oknazevad gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCarcharodon View Post
    I don't play Adventurer's League, but the PHB +1 rule does make it a bit easier on DMs that may not have all the books. Or that don't want to flip through three different books trying to find something on a character sheet that the player can't remember what it does or where they found it.

I really doubt Wizards designed a rule to "punish" people that buy their books. It might not be a great rule, but I really, seriously don't think that's why they implemented it.
    It might not be the rationale, but it's the effect.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Where do we donate to make next season PHB+0?
    XP jasper, TerraDave, GreyLord, Nadan, Giltonio_Santos and 2 others gave XP for this post
    Laugh Mistwell, pukunui, MNblockhead, CapnZapp, Zilong and 15 others laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
    It might not be the rationale, but it's the effect.
    With a very simple solution: don't play Adventurer's League games if it's that big a deal. Start up a non-AL game.
    XP 5ekyu, CapnZapp, Paul Farquhar, Azzy, the Jester gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Guess what thu, if that is not going to break the game, then that means they know PHB +1 is completely unneeded and unwarranted, because they wouldn't make this offer if it was going to cause problems.

don't get me wrong raising money for charity is good and I hope he raises $500,000 either way, but the rule should be PHB +2 period, either way because if the rule isn't needed, that you can discard it without problems or concerns, means it's only exists to punish those of us who buy more then one product with player options. This makes no sense.

Again I hope he succeeds in raising the money, but it's time this bad rule goes, either way.

you seem to be conflating and linking as possible synonyms several things - "completely unneeded and unwarranted" - "not going to break the game" and "you can discard it without problems or concerns"
    Also you seem to not acknowledge the difference between a temporary "Just for Season 9" change vs a now and forever did it ever need to be scope of a change.

A sorcerer uses CHA as their main spell stat thats the rule. They do not use WISdom. thats the rule.
    would the game break if sorcs instead were based off wisdom - nope.
    Does that mean the rule should be dropped because its unneeeded and allow wisdom sorcs - nope.

There are many reasons behind rules other than "it will break the game" and there are more levels a degrees of impact than "break the game" and "
    "you can discard it without problems or concerns""...

A temporary change for a limited time in a limited circumstance can be far more manageable and not problematic than the same change being made widespread.

just as an example - they could declare that "for season X - Deep Rising there will be commonly available access to cheap magic items (expendable and perishable) that allow water breathing" because they will be introducing for season-x Deep Rising a major underwater merfolk series of adventures and want folks to be able to move into the play with fewer complications. By limiting it to specific times and situations - they prevent that from say breaking a lot of other scenarios and such.

So, i find your conclusions to not follow from the facts presented due to your (it seems to me) errant links of extremes of semi-related but not directly related elements.
    XP pukunui, Ed Laprade, doctorbadwolf, Saelorn, the Jester and 3 others gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Or it could be that the problems that arise for a single season shouldn't do anything significantly bad, while raising money for children's hospitals is significantly good
    XP Grognerd, Ed Laprade, SkidAce, Mistwell, Cap'n Kobold gave XP for this post

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Instead of PHB +1, maybe it should be "These Books," with a list that follows.

Example List:
    1) PHB
    2) Volo's Guide
    3) Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

PHB+1 would be fine if they put out better +1's. As long as they keep releasing So-and-So's Guide to Miscellaneous This-and-That players are going to want to combine books. If each book had a stronger theme, you could build a character within that theme and it would be fine.
    XP Yaarel gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Only 10. That 10. People get to use the Phb +2 AT 1,500. So unless those 10 whoops breaks AL table.
    So unless those 9 whoops breaks the Al table rule
    So unless those 8 whoops breaks the Al table rule.
    So unless those 7 knock down your door.. Name your feet to floot and force you to dm for them. It is not going to make a differrence.
    The $500 Supreme Healing tankard is not going make any difference
    The $250 greater healing is not going to make any difference.
    THIS YOU CHANCE ENWORD. For one season. Everyone can play 1 PC with PHb +2.
    Your call.