The Guildpact and Five Guilds in Dungeons & Dragons Ravnica

Ravnica’s history twists and changes through conflicts, war, guild upheaval, and growth. The greatest catalyst for change in Ravnica is the ten guilds. Although the Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica doesn’t release until November, details on each guild are available now.

On the official website for Ravnica the description of the ten guilds includes a link to all the guilds’ related cards. A DM can use the descriptions, art, and flavor text to detail his or her campaign and design adventures for Ravnica. The guilds change over time, so the Guide will likely provide new details. Five guilds are covered here along with the Guildpact that binds all ten guilds together. Not every citizen of Ravnica is in a guild. Many simply try to survive day to day.

The guilds are guided and controlled by the Guildpact, a magical document laying out the laws of Ravnica that is capable of binding any guild member who violates its laws. The Guildpact was once an actual document but is now contained in the body of the planeswalker Jace.

The Chamber of the Guildpact is neutral ground where any of the guilds can gather. Any puddle of multi-colored ground can serve as neutral ground for informal meetings. When Jace leaves Ravnica for another plane, which is likely the case in the Guide, then the guilds can act more freely most likely with more conflict.

The Azorius Senate are the lawmakers and law enforcers of Ravnica. The Senate is obsessed with keeping the status quo, no matter the cost. Azorius strives to bring order to the chaos of Ravnica's streets and enforce the law. The guild functions as an intermediary between the citizens and the senate lawmakers. The Senate educates the compliant and restrains the rebellious.

While masquerading as a religion, the Orzhov Syndicate is actually a criminal business. With no economic transaction that isn't directly or indirectly under their control, they share a unifying ambition to improve their lives and fill their money purses. Orzhov is all about advancement and power even, or especially, at the expense of others.

House Dimir is a shadowy guild that few of the common people of Ravnica believe still exists. The other nine guilds know though and that it traffics in secrets, blackmail, and murder. Employing a network of spies and assassins, Dimir uses the most unassuming, average looking citizens as agents. With a keen knack for deception and manipulation, this guild exists in isolated and incredibly secretive cells across Ravnica.

Eager to invent a way to improve life, the Izzet League uses their intelligence and imagination to construct elaborate experiments like manipulating the weather. The Izzet are responsible for almost all of the beneficial technologies and magic that keep Ravnica running. Unfortunately, their impulsive and reckless research means that just as many have failed experiments with explosive results.

The Cult of Rakdos lives purely to allow its members to fulfill their own pleasure, cause mayhem, and demonstrate the frailty of life. The cult would love turn Ravnica into one big slaughter fest, but it's inflicting random death and destruction that is fulfilling, not the final ruin. However, their interest in the dark art of death has made them into top-notch mercenaries and assassins which the other guilds employ. The Rakdos Cult sees Ravnica’s future as nothing but cruel death waiting for all—and they eagerly charge forward toward that end.

The Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica will be filled with further details on the guilds, their members, monsters, plots, spells, artifacts, and lands. Many of these details would enhance any D&D world.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Actually Dimir is no longer a secret, but they use a front now, they pretend in public that they are Librarians, Couriers, and so on, roles filled by the lower ranks, the hirer ranks being Assassins, Spies, Guildmages, and weirder stuff.
It make more sense for D&D, in that PCs will openly be members of guilds, including Dimir.

"I'm a librarian. Definately not an evil shapeshifting spy. You can trust me."

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Didn't they say somewhere that it would be divorced from the card game?

I'm going to have to do my best to tune out D&D around the time the book is released. I hope it's not just a standard part of D&D going forward.

I too quit M:tG at one time and don't want to see it. Now that I know they're involving the cards at least I know well enough to not read anymore about it.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer

I'm going to have to do my best to tune out D&D around the time the book is released. I hope it's not just a standard part of D&D going forward.

I too quit M:tG at one time and don't want to see it. Now that I know they're involving the cards at least I know well enough to not read anymore about it.

They've confirmed that they will not be adding any mechanics to the game to reflect the mechanics of the card game. So there will be no rules that mention mana or colours.
What they are using from the card game are the places, people, creatures and objects depicted on those cards and statting them up in a D&D manner as those things are important to the setting.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think this will be a very interesting book.....I just am going to tire of reading (on line) about how the cards and book don't agree, and blah, blah, blah cannon stuff over and over....

Parmandur

Book-Friend

No mention of the five colors or Mana, or other card game mechanics.

They aren't involving the cards, that's just the ENWorld article drumming up information on the setting

No mention of the five colors or Mana, or other card game mechanics.

They aren't involving the cards, that's just the ENWorld article drumming up information on the setting

What Parmandur said. I only got back into Magic a year or so ago so I missed the original Ravnica sets. I'm looking into the lore but also useful bits that could be used in both Ravnica and other D&D settings including homebrew. I think the card lore and art can inspire D&D and even the mechanics, if read more like lore, can provide new ideas.

I think this will be a very interesting book.....I just am going to tire of reading (on line) about how the cards and book don't agree, and blah, blah, blah cannon stuff over and over....

I'm curious how Wizards will handle worlds going forward as well. I am really curious what approach they will take to the lore.

Like other posters here I think they will set it after the last sets with Jace as the living Guildpact. That way, the guilds can scheme and brawl in the streets with less repercussions. But beyond that I'm not sure what direction they will take with who leads what guild and who some of the major monsters and possible opponents are.

Between this and Dragon Heist it is a good time to be a D&D player and see new ideas for D&D 5E!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases