WOIN Rules for Corruption

ajevans

Explorer
Hi, I'm in the process of molding WOIN OLD to use for Symbaroum (like the setting, but not it's system).

Most of it is easy to adapt with no work needed, but there's one element that's trickier.

That is Corruption. Using magic, or being exposed to certain artifacts or areas can cause you to become corrupted. A certain level of corruption is temporary, however take it over a threshold, and permanent corruption can manifest itself.

How this works mechanically, is that you have an attribute (Resolute), and every time you cast a spell you roll 1d4 and gain that much temporary corruption. Go over a threshold (Resolute / 2) and the character gets some permanent corruption. As this increases certain stigma's manifest themselves. However temporary corruption disappears at the end of a scene

Anyway, so on to WOIN, here are some of my ideas to adapt this.

1) A countdown clock. The player forms a pool of dice (perhaps MAG + WIL - or 2xMAG), and rolls them every time they cast a spell. Most spells have a slow countdown, and more powerful ones my have faster countdowns. Everytime you cast a spell there is a risk of corruption. It's simple, however might be a bit swingy?

2) Magic points with variable spend. Keep the current WOIN system. Set the Corruption Threshold to Magic Points / 2 and roll d6 when each spell to determine spend. Again quite simple, but might need some work on maths.

Any thoughts or alternative approaches?

ajevans

Explorer
OLD already has corruption rules (in the appendix).

I initially missed that, it exists but it doesn't quite fit the purpose for the setting. I think the track minus the Light is a good way of tracking more permanent points, however I'm after something more temporary. Something that can be used as a resource that you risk permanent corruption by using, i.e I want players to be able to use magic but feel it's dangerous and if I they push it there's a risk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases