Wild Unhinged Speculation Relating to the Laboratory of Kwalish

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, haven't seen many people talking about this, but WotC let slip the following information about an upcoming Extra Life DMsGuild product in the latest Dragon+

"Extra Life is a charity organization D&D has been happy to be involved with since 2013, where gamers stream themselves playing together with the express purpose of driving donations to the Children's Hospitals Network. In 2017 the D&D team added several projects to the DMs Guild in support of Extra Life. This year we're working on a special Dragon+ adventure scenario for the DMs Guild, which takes place in the Barrier Peaks:

"Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks as players search for the lost lab of the legendary artificer. He disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own research."

It strikes me that this sounds like, of all things, a companion piece to the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks proper. Now, for my unhinged speculation: it would seem reasonable to suppose that a follow-up to Tales from the Yawning Portal will happen in the not too distant future, given that book was successful and Mearls has said it might happen. I predict that we will see a TftYP type book prominently featuring S3 in 2019.

Satyrn

First Post
I predict a supplement focused on mecha, running the gamut from high tech giant robots disguised as horseless carriages all the way down to medieval barrels that transform into crabs.

We've got Ravnica. The next world spanning city is gonna be Cybertron, is what I'm saying.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I predict a supplement focused on mecha, running the gamut from high tech giant robots disguised as horseless carriages all the way down to medieval barrels that transform into crabs.

We've got Ravnica. The next world spanning city is gonna be Cybertron, is what I'm saying.

I'd buy it.

I would prefer Eternia, but that is the wrong company.

Still, TF's have heavy hitters, sneaky robots, literal heal-bots, angry dinosaur robots, whoever has the Matrix seems to be pretty paladin-y with good charisma, and making deals for upgrades with planet-sized robots seems pretty warlock-y to me (and seems to lead to a lot of spam blasting)…

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Wait, does this mean that Greyhawk will be opened up for the DMs Guild?

Unless I be much mistaken, aren't the Barrier Peaks located on Oerth?

The Barrier Peaks where in Greyhawk, because Greyhawk was the main setting at tge time of publication. There is nothing unequally Greyhawkian in the adventure. It could be anywhere.

As for the thinking behind this adventure, I suspect the idea is to have something "alien" without the 1970s space opera tropes.

Also reminded of the Planer Sphere quest in BG2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wait, does this mean that Greyhawk will be opened up for the DMs Guild?

Unless I be much mistaken, aren't the Barrier Peaks located on Oerth?

WotC isn't bound by the DMsGuild rules when they publish using their own IP. They have M:tG products on DMsGuild but the Magic settings are not currently open, for example.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Kwalishar Ruins dungeon that Tim Kask worked on. Has there been any word from him about this, considering Kwalish is his character?

Remove ads