What's Inside Goodman Games' Isle Of Dread Reincarnated?

Goodman Games has revealed what to expect inside the covers of its upcoming Original Adventures Reincarnated #2: The Isle of Dread.

WebsiteGraphic_IOD_Peek.png

"We can’t show you any of the interior pages just yet, but we can talk about them! Here’s what you can expect:

• A brand new piece of art by Erol Otus as the illustrated frontispiece!
  • A foreword by Zeb Cook discussing how he designed a classic adventure, without meaning to do so.
  • A retrospective by Paul Reiche III, developer of Isle of Dread, the guy responsible for the deranged ankylosaur.
  • An article by Lawrence Schick recounting the origin of the Known World campaign setting as first introduced in X1: The Isle of Dread.
  • Michael Curtis’ retrospective on reading X1 from the back of a mini-van as a youth.
  • Harley Stroh’s retrospective about riding battle-tigers on the Isle of Dread as a sixth-grader.
  • An interview with Zeb Cook, co-author of Isle of Dread.
  • Full scans of the original publication, both the first and second printings!
  • And, of course, a 5E conversion with plenty of new content as well."

TheZigZagist

Explorer
5th edition Basic Rules done up B/X style would be a dream made real for me! WOTC kinda just threw them out there as an ad for the "full game". Yeah they're free and usuable, but not quite what I had expected from their original mission statement. I'd really jump at the opportunity to spent $ for any kind of quality presentation of the 5e basic rules set. Houseruling the PHB down to 4 races, 4 classes at the table is. . . not ideal. Oh, and just loved Into The Borderland and can't wait to get my hands on this next classic retelling as well. Way to go Goodman Games!

Last edited by a moderator:

ddaley

Explorer
I will most likely pick this up. I ran at least part of this... possibly all of this back in the 80s (don't remember if we finished). I have always like this module, for some reason.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Isle of Dread, much like Keep on the Borderlands, are examples of module as mini-campaign setting more than a plotted adventure. In many respects they're very similar: You go into a location, explore it, interact with (ahem... mostly slay) the inhabitants, loot, and leave. If there's a larger story, it's up to the DM to provide it. They also really fit the themes of the boxed sets they came in, with Basic being given a dungeon and Expert a wilderness adventure, because Expert was supposed to focus on wilderness. I believe that the Erol Otus Expert was also the origin of the Known World/Mystara.

Davies

Legend
I'll wager that it is shorter, buuuut the 5E conversion could easily be much larger than the Into the Borderlands section.
It's possible that many of the adventure seeds from the back of the module will be built up into actual encounters, or that the rest of the archipelago will be described in more detail.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases