Fantasy Grounds Toolset Usage Report

Fantasy Grounds reports the latest RPG system usage! Most games are up a few percent, and it looks like D&D 5E is remaining steady, and Pathfinder 2 has started to make an appearance in the charts. The following charts show usage in the last 12 months (PF2, of course, has only been available for a few weeks).

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 19.02.49.png

[FONT=&quot]Ruleset[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Games[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5E[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]503,696[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PFRPG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]83,268[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SavageWorlds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36,040[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.5E[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18,967[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SFRPG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15,395[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CoreRPG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13,279[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MoreCore[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11,782[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Call Of Cthulhu[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11,704[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4E[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9,274[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Star Wars EotE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8,504[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GURPS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5,981[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AD&D[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5,032[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Castles and Crusades[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5,030[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DSA[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3,676[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PFRPG2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3,398[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RolemasterClassic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2,939[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WFRP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2,858[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fate Core[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2,441[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WH40K[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2,332[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VtM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1,987[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Numenera[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1,792[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shadowrun[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1,048[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Basic Roleplaying[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]843[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mongoose Traveller 1E[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]771[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WHFRP 2ed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]759[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grand Total[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]752,796[/FONT]

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 19.03.13.png

With the current spat roll20 is having with a few youtube and twitch broadcasters I wonder if there has been an increase in FG user base...?
Yes, I know of a dozen or so. But that's not statistically relevant.

This data is only through the end of September. So the Roll 20 fallout won't be shown. Next quarter data for FG, and especially Roll 20 (if the Orr group releases it), will be what actually indicates the significance of the spat.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
For those of us who don’t have a mathematical background (ie me)could you explain what that is?

Its means winners really win.

So, for example number 1 is twice as many as number 2 which is twice as many as number 3 and so on.

What the plot shows, where 5E is actually above that orange line, is that its really really winning.

Which some of us have been saying for a while. :p

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Its means winners really win. <snip> What the plot shows, where 5E is actually above that orange line, is that its really really winning.

Certainly it is on Fantasy Grounds.

One potential cause from deviations from Zipf's law is violations of independence of the counts, which is pretty likely in this case. For example, there are likely to be DMs who have multiple games and are, all other things being equal, more likely to run the same ruleset. It also doesn't distinguish defunct from running games (at least I don't think it does).

Nylanfs

Adventurer
No, AFAIK all the games that Doug reports on are from the GM client pinging the FG license server, so those are all active games, planning sessions or simply playing around. None of them would be non-active campaign. I remember this being discussed somewhere in one of the earlier posts.

Perry Chalmers

First Post
No, AFAIK all the games that Doug reports on are from the GM client pinging the FG license server, so those are all active games, planning sessions or simply playing around. None of them would be non-active campaign. I remember this being discussed somewhere in one of the earlier posts.

IIRC, it actually only counts session where players connect via the server alias, but doesn't when players connect via the GM's direct IP, it also doesn't count GM prep.

darjr

I crit!
So those are actual games? And it may exclude some home games using the platform? Am I reading that right? It’s under reporting actual games?

Those numbers only include sessions where at least one player connects and the session lasts at least so long long (maybe 1 hour, not sure) and that those sessions connect to the FG license server.

Connections to the FG license server,
ARE made when;
- A free license connects to a host/GM using the Ultimate license
- A client uses the Alias system to connect to the Host/GM

Are NOT made when;
- A standard license player connects to a host/GM using a direct IP address

The numbers measure something very different than the Roll20 numbers.

But what these numbers show are trends and relative popularity. It measures a consistent set of numbers which should be very representative. So you can see how 5E compares to StarFinder and you can see how fast any given system is growing (or not).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases