Mythological Figures: Talos (5E)

In today’s Mythological Figures entry we’re going after probably the only forged *cough cough* individual on the list: Talos, the metal man of ancient Crete!

FZhIgGQ9c0Bssr5hjKpZatXHO0Mnse5_LRG3ntSgTCrem7fOsPGF2jeijKbkZsodCTerYAcYfZmMpXXnW955aYa2zJ96eJotO8UJtQmFCkbfRkQb3brhZtZXpYFWg8W1HQ2ikxNg

Where precisely Talos is from isn’t completely clear--was he made by Hephaestus and gifted to Minos or Europa, or the last bronze man from the third age of man and gifted to Europa by Zeus? It depends on which scripts and translations you’re reading. Regardless of his origins his thing was wandering around the island of Crete (doing the perimeter three times a day), throwing rocks at unwelcome visitors before they could come ashore. A critical weakness (in his ankle no less!) leads to his downfall when Medea (or a brilliant Argonaut archer named Poeas) causes him to take a wound in this most vital vein, killing him--again it matters what you’re reading for how that came to happen. Did she blind him with magic? Pull out a bronze nail plugging up the vein after tricking him?

Design Notes: Ideally Talos is throwing much bigger rocks (dealing at a minimum 2d6 damage) but the goal in this side of the column is to do things RAW for character creation so here we are. If you’re interested in more of a monstrous take on Talos check out the D&D Greece series on my website.

Talos
Medium humanoid (forged folk), neutral fighter (archer) 6

Armor Class
17 (light proficiency)
Hit Points 45 (6d10+12)
Speed 35 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
16 (+3)​
16 (+3)​
14 (+2)​
10 (+0)​
10 (+0)​
10 (+0)​

Saving Throws Str +6, Con +5
Skills Athletics +6, History +3, Perception +3, Survival +3
Damage Resistances poison; bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
Condition Immunities disease, sleep
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Background: Wildborn. Talos never forgets the geographic arrangement of terrain, settlements, and areas of wilderness. In addition, he can forage fresh water and food each day for as many as 6 people as long as the environment nearby can support it.

Action Surge (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Talos can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Critical Vulnerability. Talos is immune to sneak attack damage and extra damage from critical hits, and has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. A creature targeting Talos’ singular point of vulnerability (its heel) has a -10 penalty on its attack roll, but on a hit the attack deals normal damage (ignoring the immunities and resistances of this feature).

Efficient Steps. When traveling by himself for one or more hours, Talos can move stealthily at his normal speed at no penalty.

Excellent Aim (3/Short Rest). Talos can spend a bonus action to aim a wielded ranged weapon at a target within its range. Until the end of his turn, ranged attacks that Talos makes against the target deal an extra 5 damage on a hit.

Feat: Brawling. Talos is proficient with improvised weapons.

Feat: Superb Aim. Talos ignores half cover and three-quarters cover when making a ranged weapon attack, and he doesn’t have disadvantage when attacking at long range. When Talos makes his first ranged weapon attack in a turn, he can choose to take a -5 penalty to his ranged weapon attack rolls in exchange for a +10 bonus to ranged weapon damage.

Forge Resistant. Talos has advantage on saving throws against being poisoned. He does not need to breathe, drink, or eat. Talos still requires a 6 hour resting period that emulates sleep in order to recharge his inner workings. While resting he is still conscious but any movement by Talos interrupts his rest. In addition, he does not become exhausted from lack of rest.

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Talos can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+6 hit points.

ACTIONS

Extra Attack.
Talos attacks twice.

Unarmed. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) bludgeoning damage and Talos can use a bonus action to grapple the target with a successful Strength (Athletics) check opposed by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Edit: It is more clear to me based on the replies after my original one that your series is intended to create PLAYER characters, not monsters for the PCs to encounter. You can pretty much disregard everything I have been saying since that was based around creature design, not character design.

Aye if you just want monster Talos, he's only got the one feature (and is much better at rock throwing I reckon).

Stacy Forsythe

First Post
Shouldn’t monster-version Talos have the ability where he stands in fire to superheat himself and then grapples people agonizingly? I seem to remember that from one version of the Argonaut story. I can see where it would be impractical to assign that trick to playable Talos (though it sounds like something a PC with s metallic body and fire immunity might try), but I was surprised not to see it on monster Talos.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Oh, THAT Talos. Thought it might have been the other one, per this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWq9PZ_PB-0

His character sheet is a little shorter in Modos RPG:

Talos
Concept:
Medium humanoid (forged folk), neutral fighter (archer) 5
Hero points: for rock-throwing accuracy against concealed opponents and to resist special (poison, weapon) damage with Diehard perk. Goal: repel all invaders, at all costs. Flaw: forge resistant. He does not need to breathe, drink, or eat. Talos still requires a 6 hour resting period that emulates sleep in order to recharge his inner workings. While resting he is still conscious but any movement by Talos interrupts his rest. In addition, he does not become exhausted from lack of rest.

PhysicalMentalMetaphysical

Skills:
Armed +4 (2), Sneak +3 (1), Knowledge (nature) +1 (2)
Perks:
Bonus Action (Armed), Martial Artist, Diehard, Weapon Training (rocks), Armor Training (natural)
Gear:
Forged Punch d6 and Forged Skin d6, or Rock d6 and Forged Skin d4

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Shouldn’t monster-version Talos have the ability where he stands in fire to superheat himself and then grapples people agonizingly? I seem to remember that from one version of the Argonaut story. I can see where it would be impractical to assign that trick to playable Talos (though it sounds like something a PC with s metallic body and fire immunity might try), but I was surprised not to see it on monster Talos.

You know I ran across that while prepping this post but aye, it doesn't seem to be a widely accepted part of his core story so it's not here. All of the D&D 5E Ancient Greece posts on my website are just conversions of Sean K. Reynold's (brilliant) New Argonauts PDF from years ago and he didn't include that, thus it isn't in the conversion. That said it sounds like a worthwhile trick to include and when my group eventually gets to Crete I'll probably make Talos scorching hot before he picks a fight with them. ;)

rmcoen

Adventurer
Does true strike still exist in 5e? That's the way to take out that ankle! Or, as in the stories, you aren't supposed to fight him -- trick/ambush/enchant him instead!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases