WOIN Helmets!

knikpiw

Explorer
Quick question about helmets.
I take it that a helmets armor doesn't go up with increased quality otherwise they can become extremely Over-powered very quickly.

So, why ever get a helmet that is above standard quality?

Do battlesuits already have a helmet on them?

Small questions, big problems ;)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always think helmets! deserve an exclamation mark! :)

Not every object does extra stuff at higher quality levels. A high quality compass still just points north, for example. But it will be a more valuable object. And if a check using the object is required (admittedly that's harder to imagine with a helmet than, say, a lockpick) then the equipment quality bonus applies to the dice pool.

easl

Explorer
Guess it's just the re-sale value then :cool:

Well...not just that.
1. Higher quality items can hold upgrades. Those aren't specified for helms, but I could definitely see allowing them to include eliminating the defense and initiative penalties that some helm types start with.

2. An exceptional quality helm is required if you want to enchant it.

3. An exceptional quality black metal helm is required if you want to give it 2-3 enchantments.

....those are official. Now, a couple unofficial ideas...

4. Items have HP and soak for when someone attempts to destroy/damage them. While there's no explicit rules for damaging a helm, it seems very reasonable to me that higher quality construction could add HP, soak, or both.

5. On the more story-side, I could see a unique, famous, or obviously expensive helm reasonably contributing to REP roles in some cases. It's basically like carrying a giant flag saying you're a noble/badass/guy who was able to steal this from the famous badass owner.

Last edited:

Well...not just that.
1. Higher quality items can hold upgrades. Those aren't specified for helms, but I could definitely see allowing them to include eliminating the defense and initiative penalties that some helm types start with.

2. An exceptional quality helm is required if you want to enchant it.

3. An exceptional quality black metal helm is required if you want to give it 2-3 enchantments.

....those are official. Now, a couple unofficial ideas...

4. Items have HP and soak for when someone attempts to destroy/damage them. While there's no explicit rules for damaging a helm, it seems very reasonable to me that higher quality construction could add HP, soak, or both.

5. On the more story-side, I could see a unique, famous, or obviously expensive helm reasonably contributing to REP roles in some cases. It's basically like carrying a giant flag saying you're a noble/badass/guy who was able to steal this from the famous badass owner.

If you treat your character as more than a throw away, then characters would have many motivations, such as quality long lasting protection and a means to transport wealth in secret, and also high quality items make good improvised weapons.

M3woods

Explorer

Check pages 146-147 of O.L.D., 161-162 of N.O.W., and 179-181 of N.E.W.

Remove ads