4E Mike Mearls on how 4E could have looked - Page 108
  1. #1071
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    darkbard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Rye, NY
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.
    Even though I awarded you XPs for this already, it's worth restating. @Imaro, @Parmandur, etc. seem to be here for the argument (for argument's sake) as they've proven over the course of many, many threads like this in the past (as well as this one) that they have no real interest in 4E ... other than to jump in on the hate.
    XP heretic888 gave XP for this post

  2. #1072
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.
    Do you mean 4e or 5e?
    XP Parmandur, Sadras gave XP for this post

  3. #1073
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,762
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Even though I awarded you XPs for this already, it's worth restating. @Imaro, @Parmandur, etc. seem to be here for the argument (for argument's sake) as they've proven over the course of many, many threads like this in the past (as well as this one) that they have no real interest in 4E ... other than to jump in on the hate.
    Lol... disagreement is hate, got it.
    XP Shasarak gave XP for this post

  4. #1074
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaro View Post
    Do you mean 4e or 5e?
    Why not both...?
    XP Imaro gave XP for this post

  5. #1075
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,651
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    Even though I awarded you XPs for this already, it's worth restating. @Imaro, @Parmandur, etc. seem to be here for the argument (for argument's sake) as they've proven over the course of many, many threads like this in the past (as well as this one) that they have no real interest in 4E ... other than to jump in on the hate.
    4E was an interesting experiment, with some solid ideas. Thinking about why it didn't ultimately work is fruitful, for me at least. I've learned a lot in this thread.
    XP Imaro gave XP for this post

  6. #1076
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.
    I finally hit the point of putting two of them on ignore. It was enough.

  7. #1077
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    That is a Move Action to navigate Blocking Terrain.

    That is either 1 of 2 things:

    1) Its an inconsequential obstacle for the Tier of play, so just "say yes", you move at half your Speed, and give up CA while you're Climbing.

    2) The fiction of the obstacle makes it a Tier-relevant threat, therefore climbing it is a Terrain Stunt, therefore the DC should be either Easy, Moderate, or Hard for the Encounter Level. Deploy Climbing rules.
    This reads as identical to the process I quoted from the 5E DMG earlier.

  8. #1078
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.
    I was just thinking that it is really funny watching people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with a game struggling to find actual written examples to support their house rules while at the same time wondering why the designers of the game dont understand it.
    Laugh Parmandur, cbwjm, Imaro laughed with this post

  9. #1079
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    22,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Yes, 1d4 for one minute with Concentration while chanting and waving your hands. Not so hot if you need to spend twenty minutes sneaking through an area.

    There is narrative parity, yes.
    What?

    1. First off, you don't keep casting while concentrating. So, no, you aren't waving and chanting. You cast the spell and you're done. That's why I can cast other spells while concentrating.

    2. How many skill checks am I making? Wouldn't it be a single Stealth check? Or do you seriously force your players to reroll every ongoing skill check every six seconds?

    Just how far are you going to reach on this?

    Of course, that's ignoring the druid who gives +10 to stealth checks to the entire party for an hour. Yup, it cost a spell slot, but, what can your fighter do that comes even remotely close to that?
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

  10. #1080
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    22,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaro View Post
    Do you mean 4e or 5e?
    I easily have several hundred hours of play and DMing experience in 5e. Can you say the same with 4e? Actually, that's not true, we've been playing weekly for 4 years now (a bit more actually), so, figure about 150 hours of play per year, that's about 600 hours of play in 5e

    You've played what, a handful of sessions in 4e?
    XP heretic888, doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Mearls: Ask Me Anything
    By Morrus in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Tuesday, 19th June, 2012, 04:25 PM
  2. Mike Mearls: Ask Me Anything
    By GX.Sigma in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, 15th June, 2012, 09:22 AM
  3. Mike Mearls On the OGL
    By Mathew_Freeman in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: Saturday, 21st June, 2008, 12:12 AM
  4. Even more Mike Mearls
    By MerricB in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: Monday, 10th December, 2007, 06:56 PM
  5. More from Mike Mearls
    By MerricB in forum *Pathfinder & Starfinder
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Monday, 10th December, 2007, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •