Main Difficulties in Joining Local Games (Players)?

#1 problem when finding games to join?

• Finding groups with compatible schedules (time/day) or play frequency (monthly, etc.)

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Can't find a good venue

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No one hosts the game system I want to play (D&D 5/4/3, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.)

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No one hosts games that focus on what I like (combat vs. roleplay GM vs. player driven story, etc.)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Finding groups/GMs in my age range

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Finding groups/GMs with compatible personalities

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Finding groups/GMs with a compatible level of system mastery/character optimization

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (comment with more info)

Votes: 2 8.7%

When looking for a game as a player, what are your most common or most frustrating issues? These can be barriers to joining a game, or what derails a running game.

Feel free to comment with other problems or standout stories of difficulties, especially if some factors prevent you from joining a game you'd otherwise join, while others derail the game.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Mostly other, there are too many games going on. 2nd though is that what people are running, I'm not particularly interested in.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm too busy running to play much. And then, when I do get to play, most of the time, the GM has left me wondering why I bothered to show up.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Aligning schedules is the biggest challenge. I have one regular game I run on a monthly basis. If I were to run any more games they would be one shots at the game store.

Meetup.com has been the best tool for finding gamers. If I'm travelling for business and am at a location more than a couple nights, I can usually find a game to play in. So, I don't think finding an occasional game is the issue, it is putting together a group that can commit to a full campaign.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Scheduling. I live in L.A. so... yeah.
My main issue, when I lived in Los Angeles just 8 months ago (?!), was also driving time. Not distance. Time. Sometimes, because of the way traffic works, the closest game may be the one that takes the longest to get to. So I worked and lived in Santa Monica and gamed in La Crescenta/Montrose because it was faster and easier to get to than a game in Woodland Hills. Go figure.

cmad1977

Hero
My main issue, when I lived in Los Angeles just 8 months ago (?!), was also driving time. Not distance. Time. Sometimes, because of the way traffic works, the closest game may be the one that takes the longest to get to. So I worked and lived in Santa Monica and gamed in La Crescenta/Montrose because it was faster and easier to get to than a game in Woodland Hills. Go figure.

Yeah. Distance in L.A. is measured in time.

Visitor: ‘how far is it to Walk of Fame’

Me: ‘depends on the day. It’s either 20 minutes or 45’

Visitor: ‘wait... what?’

pogre

Legend
Yeah. Distance in L.A. is measured in time.

Visitor: ‘how far is it to Walk of Fame’

Me: ‘depends on the day. It’s either 20 minutes or 45’

Visitor: ‘wait... what?’

True in Chicago too - to a lesser extent. I have a friend that drives down from the suburbs to my place in central Illinois because it is not much further (in time) than playing a game in the city.

delericho

Legend
Just finding games.

An awful lot of gaming in the UK seems to operate in submarine mode - you know they're there somewhere, but finding them is tricky.

Last time I found myself in this situation I had to bite the bullet and set up a group myself. That worked well enough, but it was a lot of hassle, and I just don't have the will to do it again.

Remove ads