John Wick Presents Lays Off 7th Sea Staff

A couple of years ago, John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition smashed tabletop RPG Kickstarter records by raising a phenomenal $1.3M - a record which has only been surpassed once since, by Matt Colville's $2.1M Strongholds & Streaming. Unfortunately, it seems that the company is running into financial difficulties.

The company had some sad news to share in a Kickstarter update to backers yesterday. John Wick Presents has just laid off all of its employees. Wick himself says that this will not prevent the rest of the line being released, but that it will slow down. He's trying to bring on board other companies to help with printing, board game production, and fulfilling his 7th Sea obligations.

"After reviewing the company finances in August, I discovered JWP was not making enough to sustain its current work force. And so, in the ugliest and hardest day of my life, I had to lay off all the JWP employees.

What this means is the 7th Sea lines are going to slow down. I cannot maintain the release schedule we promised before GenCon. That doesn’t mean books aren’t going to happen, it just means they’re going to be slower than expected."

The campaign has delivered plenty of rewards already (I'm a backer myself and received my core rulebook long, long ago). The core rulebook released on time, and various stretch goals have been met, with updated production schedules announced monthly -- the latest production schedule was announced in August (the company posts one each month to keep backers updated), but Wick says that that schedule cannot be maintained now. So far 7 of 12 sourcebooks have been released.

A second Kickstarter, 7th Sea: Khitai was launched last year, which raised $200K. The latest update on that Kickstarter doesn't delve into any of the company's problems, but does say:

"I’ve been talking to various companies about partnering with JWP to continue printing 7th Sea as well as expanding it into territories JWP couldn’t. We tried doing board games (twice) and both times failed. Another company, with a stronger reputation for making board games, could make War of the Cross fly in a way I couldn’t. That’s why I’ve been talking to other publishers about partnering up to fulfill our 7th Sea obligations.For Khitai, I anticipate a May-June release. This may be sooner depending on a lot of factors. As soon as those projects are done, I can let you know where everything else stands. I'll have a better idea of the entire release schedule once negotiations are done with our potential publishing partners.

2018 has been an awful year for everyone, myself included. Let's hope for a better 2019."

The company cancelled its War of the Cross boardgame Kickstarter back in August.

John Wick Presents has done a good job of keeping backers updated. While unfortunate for the employees who were laid off, it only points to a slowed release schedule rather than a full stop.

It's not the first report of financial speedbumps at RPG companies recently. Last month, Evil Hat Productions announced a scaling back of the 2019 publication schedule, and some departing employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derren

Hero
I liked the system, but the non-earth names for clear Earth analogs drives me crazy.

I do not dislike "near-earth" setting per se. For example I liked the Warhammer Fantasy world. My problem with the 7th sea world was how little effort they seem to have put into the setting. As if two college boys with bad grades in both geography and history pooled their limited knowledge of Europe and changed the names a bit by throwing darts at dictionaries.
"What do we know of France?"
"They are all aristocratic snobs"
"Good, lets put it in there"
"Oh, and Napoleon"
"Great, so Napoleon is an important NPC there. Now we only need to find a obscure French person whos name we can use for the country"
When it came to Spain they even stopped trying and took the historical name.

Their "Germany" (Eisen) is especially bad for me as I speak German and their pseudogerman is pure nonsense. Mostly several German words with at best a thematically connection and wrong conjugation mixed together.
It would be like calling a sword style the "Airwindycloud Style". Thats about the level the German names are in 7th sea.
And even if you just have single words it often gets silly. For example the elite force of Eisen is called "Iron Guard of Eisen". Thing is, "Eisen" means "Iron" in German. So you have the Iron Guard of Iron. That is a relatively minor thing compared to many other names, but still facepalm worthy and kills immersion.

Edit: Here are some translations of actual Fantasy-German sword schools in 7th sea
- Accomplishfortress (one word)
- Succeed
- Steep
- Inevitable

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I'm sorry, but John Wick is full of BS on this. I know it's all the rage in some circles to bash ToH as completely unfair, but it isn't. I'm a hardcore, no-mercy, high-lethality DM, and I have run ToH and seen the entire party make it through successfully. It takes caution to do so, but it's absolutely possible. And John Wick horribly misrepresents it.

The Alexandrian's counterpoint to it covers the bases, but Wick's experience with it sounds like he basically made a point to screw over his players. Sheesh. I run hard and mean games, but strive to be fair, and I think ToH is one of the greatest adventures ever- and one that is extremely difficult. But fair. Unless the DM intentionally screws you over.

Because a 12 year old is expected to know that playing the module the way it tells you to play it is wrong. o_0

the Jester

Legend
Because a 12 year old is expected to know that playing the module the way it tells you to play it is wrong. o_0

He very much did not play it as the module instructs. His alleged quotes are BS; the module explicitly says not to misdirect or steer pcs awry. The Alexandrian's rebuttal is much more detailed- I don't want to get into spoilers here- but Wick's description of how the module tells the DM to run it is very much biased against the module and not at all accurate.

pemerton

Legend
I'm a hardcore, no-mercy, high-lethality DM, and I have run ToH and seen the entire party make it through successfully. It takes caution to do so, but it's absolutely possible

<snip>

ToH is one of the greatest adventures ever- and one that is extremely difficult. But fair. Unless the DM intentionally screws you over.
I don't really know what it means to say that ToH is fair.

I mean, is it unfair, or fair, to have a crucial doorway that must be passed to beat the module be a secret door with a 1 in 6 chance of being found and undetectable by most magic at the end of a concealed 200' crawlway? I'm not sure what the basis is for answering that question.

For anyone interested in ToH, there was a really excellent read-through thread a while ago now.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If you read the intro to Return to the Tomb of Horrors, EGG was chagrined that people actually found ToH fairly easy in play, both in his own game and at tournaments.

aramis erak

Legend
But I almost regret backing the Kickstarter. It was so big - and JW has delivered practically every bit of what was advertised already - that I can't help but wonder if it hasn't overfed the tendency of many authors and artists to listen to their own egos. Our group has certainly come across some significant issues with the 7S2 rules ; there's lots of interesting ideas; but from the core rules and ever more so with the nation splatbooks, I've had the feeling that it was kind of phoned in, a vague odor of "I'm a genius, you'll love this, and you have to fill in the gaps yourself."

No, that's not new for John. His design skills are at Brilliant or better...
...his rules-writing skills have sucked from day 1. As in, he writes games that work well, but doesn't write them in a manner that ordinary people can understand.

AEG filled in the gaps fairly well - he had to explain what didn't make sense to guys who hadn't played it with John, and had players who had played with John to help write the examples and rewrite the rules to make sense.

Post AEG, huge gaps in his game writing become obvious - no one to interpret "John-speak" and translate it to "General Gamer English." Orkworld, for example.

I'm still hoping he'll do compatible companion books for the other major races.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Every time I read an article about John, I am reminded of Ryan Dancey’s (a polarizing figure in his own right) Internet post from many years ago about the difference between John and “The Wick” - that is, John’s private and public personas. I’m sure he’s a really good designer (he seems to have a pretty dedicated fan base) - but his outspokenness on other games seem to lose as many converts as it wins.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases