Esper Genesis: Sci-Fantasy for 5E

Are you in the market for a science fantasy role playing game that runs on the 5E engine (SRD)? Well Esper Genesis might be the easy port over from D&D that you and your group are looking for.

Esper Genesis is a science fantasy rpg from Alligator Alley Entertainment, with Rich Lescouflair as the lead designer. Certainly the team assembled to produce EG has experience and plenty to spare. What the team at AAE has created is a visually stunning and mechanically reliable game that would seem tailor made for moving players from fantasy towards more science fiction style of play. EG is not hard science fiction however, and the GM should be aware of the aesthetics presented. I would say EG is more akin to a space fantasy anime and absolutely very heroic. The characters are all espers (as the title suggests) and they live in an area of the galaxy known as the Silrayne Arc. Mysterious moon-sized Crucibles shadow the inhabited worlds and no two Crucibles are the same. Within the Crucibles is the powerful energy source known as Sorium. Exposure to Sorium is what triggers the esper genesis in the player characters, allowing characters to channel energies and affect their environment.
[h=3]A Heroic Universe[/h]Esper Genesis is a beautiful game. The art does a fantastic job of creating a great aesthetic and setting a tone for the kinds of adventures the game presents. The layout is easy to follow and explains how to play the game with a minimum of fuss. Each player is an esper thanks (or not) to the influence of the Crucibles and there is a definite connection to the sorium. This provides motivation and a sense of connection for the characters. The races seem alien though they are all bipeds and most are humanoids. The one that caught my eye was the Ashenforged; a race bio-engineered by another race (the Dendu) for the purpose of war. Although they are free now, their back story is fascinating. All the races are relatable and have some interesting bits that make them playable.

Classes in EG revolve around a character’s use of their esper abilities. All classes are esper classes although they do not work the same way. The esper abilities are a mix of 5E magic, both arcane and divine, and what seems like some AD&D2E psionics or maybe even 3E. At least that is my impression. It is as if psionics has become the normal mainstream power, replacing magic. As you can expect this makes the powers themselves more psion focused, although there is plenty of damage dealing. Several powers are clearly inspired by science fiction, though rooted in the 5E paradigm for what these powers should be used for.

Of course, EG has rules for FTL travel. I think these are actually are a strength of the game and dovetail nicely with starship combat and combat in other environments. I also like the game master screen as the information is very useful and notes some of the likely areas of confusion for new players.
[h=3]A Step Removed[/h]There is a theme that runs through the critique of Esper Genesis that pops up in several parts of the game. In essence, EG is a great use of the 5E rules that adds very little else to those rules. If you know how to play a 5E game already, then you will have zero issue playing EG. The alien species are interesting but they are all bipeds. The classes are excellent riffs off of the base classes, but don’t add much else. Certainly the psion powers are interesting, but space magic is still magic. EG is neither a Spelljammer that just transports fantasy characters into space or an Alternity that acts as a toolkit for various SF adventures. This may not be an issue for your group, but groups looking for a wide ranging SF game will likely not find Esper Genesis to their taste. What the game does, however, it does pretty well.

This article was contributed by Sean Hillman (SMHWorlds) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

The same way that you justify being fine the next morning after being blasted by dragon fire or hit multiple times with a battle axe.
Through a combination of official variant rules which slow down natural healing to a plausible rate and/or tie accelerated healing to the use of fantasy medical treatment? I didn't see anything like that in the basic rules. Are those options in the commercial release?
Sci fi has almost as many examples of pulp stories as fantasy to draw on. I think your preferences around fantasy and modern damage sources are essentially inconsistent, where the game is being consistent within its genre.
Internal inconsistency is the big problem. What is a healing ampoule/potion doing, in your mind, for its effects to both be visible and understandable to the characters, while also being less effective than taking a nap?
On saying that if you want realistic damage from modern weapons regardless of genre, I expect that Esper Genesis is not for you.
Apparently it's too much to even hope for a token nod toward plausibility, which is unfortunate, given how many other interesting things are in the book. It would have been an easy fix, to at least throw in a sidebar somewhere.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Through a combination of official variant rules which slow down natural healing to a plausible rate and/or tie accelerated healing to the use of fantasy medical treatment? I didn't see anything like that in the basic rules. Are those options in the commercial release?

I am not sure what you are referring to. I am happy with the healing rate presented in D&D5e and Esper Genesis and there appears to be a large customer base that is similarly minded. If you have found a house rule for D&D5e that gives you a greater sense of plausibility, then good for you. The great thing about Esper Genesis is that this house rule will work equally well for Esper Genesis as the systems are closely aligned.

Internal inconsistency is the big problem. What is a healing ampoule/potion doing, in your mind, for its effects to both be visible and understandable to the characters, while also being less effective than taking a nap?

Apparently it's too much to even hope for a token nod toward plausibility, which is unfortunate, given how many other interesting things are in the book. It would have been an easy fix, to at least throw in a sidebar somewhere.

It sounds like you have a much bigger issue with D&D5e as a whole (and possibly all d20 derivatives) and not just Esper Genesis. Esper Genesis is clearly aimed first and foremost at those people who are happy with D&D5e. As said you can use any house rule that you have developed for 5e with use and this includes the grittier options in the DMG (and who knows we may see something similar in the Technicians Manual). However, if nothing works for you then I think it is safe to say that Esper Genesis (or anything closely aligned with D&D5e) is just not be for you.

I am not sure what you are referring to. I am happy with the healing rate presented in D&D5e and Esper Genesis and there appears to be a large customer base that is similarly minded. If you have found a house rule for D&D5e that gives you a greater sense of plausibility, then good for you. The great thing about Esper Genesis is that this house rule will work equally well for Esper Genesis as the systems are closely aligned.
There are no house rules involved. One of the optional rules in 5E is that you don't heal overnight, but only recover some hit dice. Another optional rule is that you need a healer's kit in order to spend hit dice, because it's implausible to naturally recover from an axe wound without some sort of fantastic healing. The game designers realized that the base rules didn't hold up under scrutiny, and that some people would take issue with that, so they addressed it. Just like how they realized that some people like feats and multiclassing, so they included optional rules for those things.

Esper Genesis either doesn't see the issue, or simply chooses to not address it. In either case, it's unfortunate, because taking such a strong and controversial stance means alienating a large portion of the potential playerbase.

Skywalker

Adventurer
There are no house rules involved. One of the optional rules in 5E is that you don't heal overnight, but only recover some hit dice. Another optional rule is that you need a healer's kit in order to spend hit dice, because it's implausible to naturally recover from an axe wound without some sort of fantastic healing. The game designers realized that the base rules didn't hold up under scrutiny, and that some people would take issue with that, so they addressed it. Just like how they realized that some people like feats and multiclassing, so they included optional rules for those things.

Esper Genesis either doesn't see the issue, or simply chooses to not address it. In either case, it's unfortunate, because taking such a strong and controversial stance means alienating a large portion of the potential playerbase.

As said, all the DMG alternative rules (however you term them) are equally useable in Esper Genesis and given the same level of priority as in 5e i.e it’s an entirely usable option but doesn’t appear in the PHB equivalent. I don’t see the outrage/controversy/alienation you are trying to find here. If you are cool with it in 5e you can be equally cool with it in EG too. The designers of EG have openly designed the entire RPG where one of it’s main features is to be very friendly to the porting over of any 5e rules you enjoy using.

MarkB

Legend

You do realise that the overwhelming majority of the 5e playerbase doesn't use any variant healing or damage rules, right? Most players probably aren't even aware that those variant rules exist.

Raddu

Explorer
Esper Genesis was created as a HEROIC sci-fi game. In the light of the recent conversations that means that you're not going to die from a single laser shot and just like in D&D being "hit" doesn't mean a solid hit or even that you're actually wounded. HP are much more abstract and can mean being worn down until you're actually hit, when you go to 0hp, or perhaps a number of grazes. If you want those to be more trying to characters use different healing rules to make the game feel right for your campaign. The beauty of 5e is that there are lots of dials to change the feel of your game to align with your playstyle and lethal vision for the game.

If you wanted to make D&D feel "realistic", irrespective of a standard fantasy or science fantasy setting, hp wouldn't increase with level, and you would roll at level 1.

Most people prefer fun over realism.

The idea that combat should somehow be more deadly because it has laser guns is a nonsense. In either case, you should die at a single hit, irrespective of if it is a dagger or a plasma bolt, and in either case, you don't because that doesn't make for an enjoyable game.

dave2008

Legend
Real world, people die, or spend months in hospital, from being stabbed once with a dagger.

In the real world people survive multiple gunshots, spikes through the head, falls from 10,000 ft., and arms being ripped off by farm equipment (and get their arms back to boot). The real world is a crazy place!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases