Anyone else find this really irritating?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That seems like hair splitting.

You don’t have to buy the same music again to get it on another device via iTunes (if you purchased the original CD and you ripped it, illegally originally remember (at least in the UK: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...is-ripping-CDs-still-illegal-in-the-UK.html)?, and added it to your iTunes library)

It’s a directly relevant reply. You can manually add the songs to your iTunes. You can do the same in DDB. Neither just gives them to you for free just because you bought a cd.

jgsugden

Legend
No, you don’t. You can upload songs and organize them with iTunes. That isn’t the same thing. You can do the same thing with DDB.
You said you don't get SONGS ON ITUNES just because you purchased them on CD years ago.

I have thousands of SONGS ON ITUNES that I added from CDs I purchased years ago. You can persniggle about the methodology, but I get the use of my songs, on ITUNES, without additional cost because I bought them on CD once upon a time.

Regardless, I've stopped buying pen and paper supplements for D&D now that I am on Beyond. I like having the core books in hard copy, but I have not opened Sword Coast, Xanathar's, Mordy's or any of the other books in months, despite using the content all the time. It is sad that I will not have all of this content available forever in hardback, but I'll deal - most likely the material will be available in some format cheap/free by the time we hit 7E.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I have thousands of SONGS ON ITUNES that I added from CDs I purchased years ago. You can persniggle about the methodology, but I get the use of my songs, on ITUNES, without additional cost because I bought them on CD once upon a time.
Yeah, you have them because you added them instead of buying them again through iTunes. Just like you can have D&D stuff on DDB by adding it instead of buying it through DDB.

Of course, it's significantly easier to add new songs than it is to add new D&D stuff, so it doesn't really seem like the same.

jgsugden

Legend
Yeah, you have them because you added them instead of buying them again through iTunes. Just like you can have D&D stuff on DDB by adding it instead of buying it through DDB.

Of course, it's significantly easier to add new songs than it is to add new D&D stuff, so it doesn't really seem like the same.
Dude, I was replying to the guy that said something 100% false. My statement is 100% true.

It is annoying to pay for content twice. A lot of services avoid that. WotC / Beyond does not. It annoys people. They can vote with their dollars.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It’s a directly relevant reply. You can manually add the songs to your iTunes. You can do the same in DDB. Neither just gives them to you for free just because you bought a cd.
Comes back to a point I sort of waved at upthread: the difference between doing the format conversion yourself and having (or expecting) someone else do it for you.

I've never used itunes for music and, goddess willing, never will. But the issue there is the same as with the D&D stuff: the conversion is being done by a third party that is neither you the end user nor the original seller; and that third party wants to get paid for their efforts and time. Fair enough, I suppose.

But better for all if they were to flat-out state it this way and dispel the confusion: you're not in fact paying for the same content again, you're paying for the conversion work on that content that we have done for you, and for the facilities etc. required to host it. And, possibly, to help defray our payment to the original owner for access to this content.

Satyrn

First Post
Dude, I was replying to the guy that said something 100% false.

Your reply makes it look like you didn't understand what the guy was saying, since you saying the same thing about iTunes as he was - "You can buy songs from Apple, or use your own files" - even though you don't think you are.

But better for all if they were to flat-out state it this way and dispel the confusion: you're not in fact paying for the same content again, you're paying for the conversion work on that content that we have done for you, and for the facilities etc. required to host it. And, possibly, to help defray our payment to the original owner for access to this content.
Hey, it would be nice if someone could get a discount for buying the content in a second format. But any means to accomplish that is rife with overhead costs and people falsifying the system as well. (But lets not get into that discussion!)

But also remember, when I buy all the WotC product in Fantasy Grounds, I'm not paying for a conversion, I'm paying for the content. Because I've never bought the hard copy books. So, listing them as paying for the conversions is not necessarily true either. It just depends on each person's situation.

jgsugden

Legend
Your reply makes it look like you didn't understand what the guy was saying, since you saying the same thing about iTunes as he was - "You can buy songs from Apple, or use your own files" - even though you don't think you are.
Except I quoted his active laguage and then demonstrated how it was inaccurate. I dealt directly with what he said, and I demonstrated that from a use perspective his point was 100% wrong. Man, I miss the super easy access to blocking people.

Satyrn

First Post
Except I quoted his active laguage and then demonstrated how it was inaccurate. I dealt directly with what he said, and I demonstrated that from a use perspective his point was 100% wrong. Man, I miss the super easy access to blocking people.

Click my name, then "view profile" and the option should be there.

Satyrn

First Post
I . . . think I just got blocked for (maybe wrongly) telling someone he was wrong about someone else being wrong.

This feels weirdly glorious.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases