AoE-TotM

ZenBear

Explorer
How to you handle area of effect in theater of the mind? In my last session my players were attacked by hordes of Skaven, and in an effort not to allow the dramatic tension to dissipate in a single turn, I had my players roll 1dX for how many would be effected rather than measuring distance without a grid. The players accepted my adjudication, but I would prefer to nail down a consistent rule since this is likely going to happen a lot.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
How to you handle area of effect in theater of the mind? In my last session my players were attacked by hordes of Skaven, and in an effort not to allow the dramatic tension to dissipate in a single turn, I had my players roll 1dX for how many would be effected rather than measuring distance without a grid. The players accepted my adjudication, but I would prefer to nail down a consistent rule since this is likely going to happen a lot.

There are rules in the DMG to cover this, but you’re better off (IMHO) trying out the Roshambo approach to the whole thing, which includes those rules.

ccs

41st lv DM
Giving good descriptions helps with this.
As does a quick sketch on a knapkin or somwtomes arranging misc objects to represent even if not to scale or on a grid. Weve used dice, pennies, bottle caps.
But good description is still the best default.

G

Guest 6801328

Groups I play in the DM always just says, "Mmm...you can hit X of them, or X + Y but you might hit your friend. What do you want to do?" Never once has a player tried to argue with the call.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I always use a map behind the screen sketched on graph paper. I find it very helpful for positioning and area effects, and helps me clearly describe the combat through each character's senses. I find that spell use is different in theater of the mind because you don't see fireball lobbed into melee with measured precision, and I like that.

:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases