Big Changes At White Wolf Following Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following an online backlash regarding the content of their recent publications, White Wolf Publishing has just announced some big changes, including the suspension of the Vampire 5th Edition Camarilla and Anarch books, and a restructuring of management.

Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 17.48.51.png

White Wolf's Shams Jorjani made the following announcement about an hour ago:

"Hello everyone,

My name is Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development at Paradox Interactive and interim manager at White Wolf Publishing. I wanted to inform you of some changes that will be implemented at White Wolf, starting immediately.

Sales and printing of the V5 Camarilla and Anarch books will be temporarily suspended. The section on Chechnya will be removed in both the print and PDF versions of the Camarilla book. We anticipate that this will require about three weeks. This means shipping will be delayed; if you have pre-ordered a copy of Camarilla or Anarchs, further information will follow via e-mail.

In practical terms, White Wolf will no longer function as a separate entity. The White Wolf team will be restructured and integrated directly into Paradox Interactive, and I will be temporarily managing things during this process. We are recruiting new leadership to guide White Wolf both creatively and commercially into the future, a process that has been ongoing since September.

Going forward, White Wolf will focus on brand management. This means White Wolf will develop the guiding principles for its vision of the World of Darkness, and give licensees the tools they need to create new, excellent products in this story world. White Wolf will no longer develop and publish these products internally. This has always been the intended goal for White Wolf as a company, and it is now time to enact it.

The World of Darkness has always been about horror, and horror is about exploring the darkest parts of our society, our culture, and ourselves. Horror should not be afraid to explore difficult or sensitive topics, but it should never do so without understanding who those topics are about and what it means to them. Real evil does exist in the world, and we can’t ever excuse its real perpetrators or cheapen the suffering of its real victims.

In the Chechnya chapter of the V5 Camarilla book, we lost sight of this. The result was a chapter that dealt with a real-world, ongoing tragedy in a crude and disrespectful way. We should have identified this either during the creative process or in editing. This did not happen, and for this we apologize.

We ask for your patience while we implement these changes. In the meantime, let’s keep talking. I’m available for any and all thoughts, comments and feedback, on shams.jorjani@paradoxinteractive.com."

White Wolf is currently own by Paradox Interactive, who acquired the World of Darkness rights in 2015 from previous owner CCP (who you might know from Eve Online) whose plans for a WoD MMO failed to bear fruit.

The recent Camarilla and Anarch books have met widespread criticism. The former, Camarilla, includes a section which appears to trivialise current real-life events in Chechnya, where the LGBTQ community is being persecuted, tortured, and murdered and uses that current tragedy as a backdrop for the setting. This comes after the company was forced to deny links to neo-Nazi ideology. White Wolf recently announced that "White Wolf is currently undergoing some significant transitions up to and including a change in leadership. The team needs a short time to understand what this means, so we ask for your patience as we figure out our next steps" and this appears to be the result of that decision.

Are you anti-alt-right? and why are you grouping us with fascists and racists. we are the most freedom and liberty group out there that doesn’t want controlled by big government and big business. i think it would be nice if people were not made to feel unwelcome playing a game because of what political party we support. we are not rioting and vandalizing and threatening people like antifa.

The Southern Poverty Law Center disagrees:
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/alt-right

If that doesn't define you... you really might want to find another label apart from "alt-right".

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Southern Poverty Law Center disagrees
Without transgressing EnWorld's parameters, SPLC has been chipping away at their own credibility. They identify with one particular viewpoint and clump all other viewpoints - good, bad, indifferent, awful - together.

(Edit: Never mind. I’m just not going to bother following this thread, but I can’t delete this message.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Regardless of whether you think the work is satire or allegory, poorly handled or well portrayed...there’s a lot of negative response. And this isn’t the first time.

So the company is making changes. It’s what companies do when they think there’s money to lose. I can’t really blame them, and it’s not really surprising.
That is precisely what is going on, but the impact of which is that Vampire is now a dead duck as far as what happens next. The two supplements, Camarilla and Anarchs, will be adjusted, and reprinted, but a number of fans who preordered are already asking for refunds because they've simply been waiting too long. There will be no more books made by Paradox or White Wolf.

There are three supplements scheduled by The Onyx Path, based on a current Kickstarter than is currently raised just over $80,000 - which is not a big total at all. The situation is not good. The game is essentially dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
liberals can redefine words all they want. just like they did in the oxford dictionary a few years ago.

And you’re done here. Do not post in this thread again. This forum prohibits anti-inclusive language and most political and religious discussions- you’ve crossed both lines.

You might do well to re-examine the rules of using this site:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
what did i do. i attacked no one foe their race, gender, nationality, ethnic group, sexual orientation. i even support gay marriage. my group was slandered by calling us fascists which we are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases