Player wants to play a Star Elf, any balance concerns?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A player in my new campaign wants to play a star elf. Generally, I try to say yes to whatever race/class the players want to play--at least in *this* campaign.

But I'm leery of homebrew and non-official races and classes.

There is a homebrew star-elf option in D&D Beyond which is basically what I've seen online for older edition Forgotten Realms star elves. I've posted it below.

My main concern is the "Otherworldly Touch" ability. Being able to turn any melee weapon into a magical weapon as a bonus action from level 1 seems over powered for 5e.

Would you allow this in your 5e game? Would you allow it with modification? (If so, what modifications?)

I'm thinking of allowing otherworldly touch, but making it a once-per-long-rest ability.

[h=1]Star Elf[/h]

Elf Subrace

Star or Twilight elves live in outer realms. The plane was created millennia before and has been expanding ever since until it reached its present size. They have extremely delicate skin seemingly made of stars, and silver, white or lavender hair. Their eyes tend to be silver, golden, grey or soft tints of lavender and violet.
[h=2]Star Elf Traits[/h][h=4]Ability Score Increase[/h]Your Charisma or Wisdom score increases by 1.
[h=4]Star Elf Weapon Training[/h]You have proficiency with the dart, morningstar, rapier, and shortbow.
[h=4]Otherworldy Touch[/h]As a bonus action, you can confer your otherworldly touch to one melee weapon. This object becomes magical if it wasn't already, and you may use your Charisma for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon. This effect lasts for 1 minute, or until you are no longer wielding the weapon.
[h=4]Insightful[/h]You are proficient in the Insight skill and you can add your proficiency bonus to Investigation checks made to discern illusions.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Looks fine to me (although I tend to feel that 5e is really only loosely balanced).

Magic weapon at level 1 isn't a major power up to me; how may enemies do you bump into with magic weapon resistance between levels 1-4? (Most abilities that are "act like a magical weapon" come online at levels 5-6.) I mean, you can already do that with shillelagh at level 1.

Speaking of shillelagh, that's pretty much what the racial ability is, just usable with all weapons and with Cha. High elves get a choice of any wizard cantrip, star elves get one specific cantrip, that's a little stronger. Considering getting Cha to attack is something any character can do with a one-level dip in Hexblade, I'd rather them just use a racial ability and get on with the slightly cheesy flavor. :)

Since I always feel the need to argue with myself, I would point out that this racial ability does enable the combination of Elven Accuracy and Great Weapon Master without the need to dip hexblade, which is a pretty good combo!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
If you’re concerned, why not limit the Otherworldly Touch ability to Once per Short/Long Rest?

Alternately, you could play it like other racial abilities which improve over time at Level 1/3/5 — either gaining new abilities or simply (in this case) being once/long rest at 1st level, once/short rest at 3rd level, and at will at 5th level. That matches up fairly well with when characters are expected to find magic weapons but still gives the elf a benefit of being able to enchant things when needed (or to switch to a secondary weapon, such as a bow for ranged or a club to fight skeletons), without unbalancing things too much.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Here are my thoughts:

Ability Score Increase

Your Charisma or Wisdom score increases by 1.

Pick one. The subclass should not provide this choice. Sounds like it should be Charisma based on the ability below.

Star Elf Weapon Training

You have proficiency with the dart, morningstar, rapier, and shortbow.

Sure.

Otherworldy Touch

As a bonus action, you can confer your otherworldly touch to one melee weapon. This object becomes magical if it wasn't already, and you may use your Charisma for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon. This effect lasts for 1 minute, or until you are no longer wielding the weapon.

Charisma Shillelagh on any weapon is a bit much. It should be for the weapons provided by their weapon training only.

You are proficient in the Insight skill and you can add your proficiency bonus to Investigation checks made to discern illusions.

This is clunky. A limited Investigation proficiency is cumbersome. Also, other Elf subraces don't have extra skill proficiencies.

So:

+1 Cha
4 non-heavy weapon proficiencies: Dart, Morningstar, Rapier, Short Bow
Charisma Shillelagh for either Morningstar or Rapier (player's choice on each use)

Done.

Ganymede81

First Post
Yup, Otherworldly Touch is trash. I would be leery of any homebrew on D&D Beyond since it has very little curation. Virtually anything can be thrown up there.

Also, their fluff seems kinda slapdash.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So:

+1 Cha
4 non-heavy weapon proficiencies: Dart, Morningstar, Rapier, Short Bow
Charisma Shillelagh for either Morningstar or Rapier (player's choice on each use)

Done.

Thanks, this is what I went with and presented to the player.

Remove ads