Do you like Warhammer FRP 4th edition?

CapnZapp

Legend
Tracking multiple conditions is a red flag for my table right off the bat I must say. Can anyone flesh that out a bit?
Unfortunately it's a complete mess.

Every condition has its own special rules, and nothing works the same. They all have various modifiers to keep in mind that might or not be conditional. You might get -10% to all tests, but your opponent might also get +1 SL on their tests against you. They all require further die rolls at the end of turn, except when it's at the end of every other turn.

Terror is Psychology which isn't a Condition but still works much like one. Fear is Psychology too but doesn't work the same: instead of making a Cool test or suffer the monster's Rating in a number of Broken conditions, you need to gain the monster's Rating in Success Levels or gain, not a -10% penalty but a -1 SL penalty, and risk a Broken condition if you fail a later test.

Broken bones and torn muscles are Conditions in all but name. Their rules differ with severity and hit location.

I consider myself very crunch-resistant but this game wore us down. At first you think the opposed tests are going to save you die rolling, but that's before you realize the horror in all the maintenance and special exceptions of Conditions.

But you know the worst part?

It all feels so unnecessary! Nobody asked for an edition like 2E but with a sh*t-ton of cluttery little special rules added. Precious few of the rules address the valid concerns against 2E - most of them just come across as badly written house-rules that just bury the GM and players in rules cruft.

The old-school notion that more rules and more special exceptions is always better truly lives at Cubicle 7!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It isn’t really any different to Pathfinder with different levels of fatigue or multiple instances of bleeding.

Conditions have been a regular part of rpgs since Final fantasy 7!

Yeah but that's not a good thing for my table. This edition looks like a pass. Tracking a bunch of conditions just isn't going to work for my players, well a nice chunk of them.

Though I'm really thinking may be just running 1e would be best if I do a TEW campaign.

Isn't FF a video game?

TheSword

Legend
The old-school notion that more rules and more special exceptions is always better truly lives at Cubicle 7!

And yet they still seem to do ok? The books keep selling, feedback is overwhelmingly positive, and we get to play the game. The quality of what they provide is streets ahead of anything seen since 1st ed. In production values it far better than 1st.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Some players love that. We have migrated back to rules light games, we are currently running an OD&D clone for example. I don't mind combat options but multiple combat conditions to keep track of round by round, and dice rolling to go with that...no thanks. I'm having nightmares of 3.5 feats just thinking about it. I can just see a couple of my players would just NOT track those things and when it came to a point where it was an issue they would be like "I dunno...".

CapnZapp

Legend
And yet they still seem to do ok? The books keep selling, feedback is overwhelmingly positive, and we get to play the game. The quality of what they provide is streets ahead of anything seen since 1st ed. In production values it far better than 1st.
And yet, none of that change any of the facts I stated :)

CapnZapp

Legend
Some players love that. We have migrated back to rules light games, we are currently running an OD&D clone for example. I don't mind combat options but multiple combat conditions to keep track of round by round, and dice rolling to go with that...no thanks. I'm having nightmares of 3.5 feats just thinking about it. I can just see a couple of my players would just NOT track those things and when it came to a point where it was an issue they would be like "I dunno...".
Exactly.

If somebody looked at 1/2E WFRP and went "it seems promising... but it needs to add Pathfinder levels of extra cruft" then 4E is for you.

Everyone else should definitely try before they buy.

TheSword

Legend
well for those who haven’t written the game off...

Tracking status and initiative is really easy with either coloured tokens, a coloured dice, or cards.

My preference is tokens next to the minis for advantage and NPC conditions and with a card handed to the player with the rules for the conditions. The tokens come included in the starter set or you can use the rings of 500ml pop bottles like I do... diet iron bru for silver advantage, red coke for bleeding, black spring water for fatigue. Etc etc 🤷‍♂️

The cards i make on word, cut out and laminate. Players can hand back cards as they heal them and count the cards to see how many levels of fatigue or bleeding they have.

i like the fact that conditions can get progressively better or worse. It adds a new level of detail which allows players to slog on while handicapped by conditions. They aren’t all or nothing like other games.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I can see how it would be great for some no doubt.

I appreciate all the info everyone!

I just sent out an email to gage interest in a 1e, maybe 2e, TEW campaign after we take a pause from Rappan Athuck for a while. Hopefully these jokers can get out of the D&D mindset enough.

pogre

Legend
I have run three or four adventures thus far. I'm still not sure about the game.

Unlike many others, I like the career system. For folks who run very long campaigns, like I used to for WFRP 1e and 2e, there is less of a ceiling for PCs.

I usually do not agree with CapnZapp, but the game does feel unnecessarily fiddly. Nowhere near third edition, which we did not like, but still, there is a lot to keep track of.

I have not given up on the system yet. I want to know it inside out before I run another session of it. I just have not been smooth GMing it yet.

Part of not embracing it yet is that my group is really enjoying D&D 5e. There is no push to jump into a new system right now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases