Do you like Warhammer FRP 4th edition? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    mach1.9pants's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,461
    It's my favourite edition, as it stands. I like all versions, 1E for the setting, 2E for it's improvements, 3E is fun too.But 4E has sorted a lot of problems with the old core system, added a few of it's own, but it plays pretty smooth (one shot only so far). I like the career system, although it lacks some of the idiosyncratic craziness of previous editions. Cubicle 7 is probably my favourite publisher ATM, so much good stuff. I see about the art, it looks great but is not as dark as it could be - a little too much C7's The One ring influence, maybe? But that is not a problem with the game itself IMO.

    The Zweihander OSR game is pretty sweet too, more traditional and maybe a bit crunchy, but good value in one lovely book.
    XP mrrockitt gave XP for this post

  2. #12
    Member
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    I too am running Tomb, but although I love it and I'm enjoying it, I'm getting tired of D&D and would like to do a different game next. I've never played Warhammer but I like the grim and gritty aspect and the darker magic. Less heroic stuff would be wonderful, and hopefully the skill system is more satisfying than what I have found in 5e so far.

    But I don't know who to play with, our group seems pretty dedicated to D&D and learning a wholly new system (and more prone to horrific death) might not be their cup o tea.
    Nebulous, off topic from WFRP I know, but have you considered Adventures in Middle Earth - also from Cubicle 7? It's D&D 5e, but not as we know it. Might not suit every group however. I'm seriously considering it for the next campaign. My ToA has actually died a death since a PC was petrified and the party all got captured by the Yuan-Ti. I've done hours of prep for the next session, but can't get all the players together!

  3. #13
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Nebulous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beyond Earth
    Posts
    4,707
    Quote Originally Posted by sim-h View Post
    Nebulous, off topic from WFRP I know, but have you considered Adventures in Middle Earth - also from Cubicle 7? It's D&D 5e, but not as we know it. Might not suit every group however. I'm seriously considering it for the next campaign. My ToA has actually died a death since a PC was petrified and the party all got captured by the Yuan-Ti. I've done hours of prep for the next session, but can't get all the players together!
    I've heard of the Lord of the Rings game but don't know much about it. It would be low magic of course and that might be kind of fun!

    My guys are in Omu now too, level 6th (soon to be 7th) and the yuan-ti with sharpshooter feats are going to rain down arrows from a top the central wall at Area #20. Jeebus sharpshooter seems too good lol.

  4. #14
    For me, I am just glad 4e exists if only because it means we get new WFRP material, especially new adventures and updated versions of classic adventures (especially the Directors Cut of TEW which should see that vaulted campaign finally get the proper ending it deserved).

    As far as the mechanics, my group and I will be sticking with 3e. Once we got used to the narrative dice system, we could never go back to any other percentile based RPG. As a GM, I especially appreciate how easy the custom dice allow me to adjudicate results. So yeah, I am loving the stuff that C7 is putting out for 4e, even though I will never use the rules themselves.

  5. #15
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,830
    Unfortunately the new edition comes across as a bad fan job of 2E.

    Almost every conceivable option has been tweaked.

    Individually graded, many of them are even quite nice. You can easily point to a page and claim they solved this or that problem with the previous editions.

    However, when you put them together, the multitude of changes creates a huge mess. The game sinks under its own weight.

    This game is incredibly convoluted and massively more crunchy than either 1E or 2E. Combat runs at a crawl with loads of die rolls.

    That reviewers haven't caught this is probably because it takes time before the structural flaws become apparent.
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

  6. #16
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,255
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    Unfortunately the new edition comes across as a bad fan job of 2E.

    Almost every conceivable option has been tweaked.

    Individually graded, many of them are even quite nice. You can easily point to a page and claim they solved this or that problem with the previous editions.

    However, when you put them together, the multitude of changes creates a huge mess. The game sinks under its own weight.

    This game is incredibly convoluted and massively more crunchy than either 1E or 2E. Combat runs at a crawl with loads of die rolls.

    That reviewers haven't caught this is probably because it takes time before the structural flaws become apparent.
    That bad? I've thought of getting it, would love to run TEW one day, but I keep thinking I'd be better off just running 2e.

  7. #17
    Member
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
    That bad? I've thought of getting it, would love to run TEW one day, but I keep thinking I'd be better off just running 2e.
    No, its a solid edition. Some people love it, some people hate it. Same as any new edition of any game ever.

  8. #18
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,255
    Is the statement that it is "crunchier" than 2e accurate? Heavier systems are a turn off for my group.

  9. #19
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lund, Sweden
    Posts
    6,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
    Is the statement that it is "crunchier" than 2e accurate? Heavier systems are a turn off for my group.
    I don't have much experience with 2e, but 4e is definitely crunchier than 1e. When reading it, I've noticed a tendency to define a lot of things like downtime activity and combat maneuvers. Some people appreciate having that sort of thing defined, others would prefer to wing it.

    One thing I do like is that you can have unlimited advancement without switching careers. In 1e, you could only ever get +10 to WS and BS as a mercenary - if you wanted more than that you needed to become something else, like a Mercenary Sergeant/Captain - and if you were playing by the rules, that basically meant that you needed to be part of a mercenary unit and become promoted. That's something we usually ignored, because our characters were adventurers and being blocked in your advancement is no fun, so we basically just paid the XP and moved on. But in 4e, there's nothing that says you can't boost your WS as high as you want it as a Recruit or Soldier - advancing to Sergeant offers the chance to learn other things, but if you're happy being a soldier you can keep on keeping on.

    One thing I'm less happy about is increasing stats and skills in increments of a single percentile. I think increasing them by fives would be much easier (so instead of paying 10 XP each for the first five advances in a skill, you'd pay 50 XP for +5).
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

  10. #20
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
    Is the statement that it is "crunchier" than 2e accurate? Heavier systems are a turn off for my group.
    Based upon 1st read, and no play, yes, it's a bit crunchier than 2nd Core...

    The combat mechanics look like they should internalize relatively easily, and speed up, but it's going to slog until players learn it.

    I bought it, read it, and have little impetus to run it.
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. Seriously considering Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition)
    By Chainsaw Mage in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: Friday, 8th September, 2017, 07:42 PM
  2. Warhammer FP:Rule differences between 1st and 2nd edition
    By vagabundo in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Thursday, 29th December, 2011, 05:37 AM
  3. DnD4.0 vs Warhammer 2nd Edition...a question
    By Doom in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Monday, 23rd March, 2009, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •