D&D 5E Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour, Nov 27 2018

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I've played hunters in WoW and to me Aragorn is still the quintessential Ranger.

What made WoW Hunters Ranger-like was their wilderness skills/traps and tracking ability that no one else got. Aragorn was the tracker in LotR. Legolas was a ranged fighter. He tracked jack squat.

So count me among those that are just fine with Beastsmastery being an option for Rangers, but hating it being part of the core class.

Eubani

Legend
Well I don't think of D&D warlords (and when I think of D&D warlords I think of 4e) as being good at many of the things a Ranger / Aragorn are good at.

Maybe a Ranger/Warlord Multiclass. Mind you as he doesn't use magic one could say a Rogue Scout or Fighter BM + Ranger of the North (Outlander) Background.

dave2008

Legend
Maybe a Ranger/Warlord Multiclass. Mind you as he doesn't use magic one could say a Rogue Scout or Fighter BM + Ranger of the North (Outlander) Background.

Yes, I was advocating for a spell-less ranger class. However, in 5e the way to do that is not with the Ranger class. The Rogue Scout and Fighter BM + Outlander would be pretty good options for what I think of as the "classic" ranger.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well I don't think of D&D warlords (and when I think of D&D warlords I think of 4e) as being good at many of the things a Ranger / Aragorn are good at.

Really? Not sure what you are thinking of, I was able to build a pretty satisfying AD*D Ranger using the Fighter class in 4e and the Warlord would work even better for that Nobleman who decided to rebel and join the forest protectors for a while. ;)

Eubani

Legend
Yes, I was advocating for a spell-less ranger class. However, in 5e the way to do that is not with the Ranger class. The Rogue Scout and Fighter BM + Outlander would be pretty good options for what I think of as the "classic" ranger.

Let us not forget the aborted UA Fighter Scout.

Eubani

Legend
My thought when MM talks about Martial design space Vs Caster design space.

Design Space.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maybe a Ranger/Warlord Multiclass.

Forest Warden background (nature and perception) on a Fighter or Warlord and multiclass the rogue (aka scout) and pick up stealth. (Ruthless efficiency)
Do Martial Practices to get Long Distance Runner and Trackers Eye (and many more if you have my home brew practices)
Pick the Noble theme to up the Aragorn Gondor's Heir element

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The Scout Rogue doesn't bring to much to an Aragorn build apart from Expertise in the right skills. The added mobility isn't really that thematic, nor is sneak attack with weapons that aren't Anduril.

Scout Fighter on the other had is pretty great. Bonus proficiencies in the right places, ability to increase chances of succeeded at wilderness related checks (including athletics), ability to increase accuracy with any weapon (including Anduril), ability to increase survivability which not wearing heavy armor, plus all the benefits of Natural explorer? Yeah that fits.

The Beastmaster is properly powered for what it was designed to do, have an expendable pet that helps in exploration and somewhat in tactics: there is a mismatch between what the design and what some people want to do with a pet.

Oh please. The paladin gets to crap out a summoned mount that's intelligent and acts independently as a 2nd level spell. Is now a good time to point out that a paladin gets about as many bonus spells always prepared from their Oath as the ranger gets to KNOW?

You could give PHB rangers both the Hunter AND the beastmaster class features, and they'd still be worse than the paladin. Rangers are pretty awful in this edition, a collection of Minor ribbons. They're even mediocre in exploration compared to the druid, trading full spellcasting for an extra bow shot a round, which barely keeps up with cantrip damage.

Remove ads